Change RAM speed

Bobo

banned
How do I change the speed my RAM is running at? I have a Presario Athlon 64 3400, with an unknown mobo and 512MB PC3200. The FSB is (supposedly) 400MHz, but my RAM is running at 333MHz. Any ideas on how to change this?

Also, on a computer info screen in the control panel, it said that my CPU is 1.6GHz. I know that the Athlon 3400 is NOT 1.6GHz.

Bobo :confused:

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How do I change the speed my RAM is running at? I have a Presario Athlon 64 3400, with an unknown mobo and 512MB PC3200. The FSB is 400MHz, but my RAM is running at 333MHz. Any ideas on how to change this?
Cant help until you nail the mobo down for us (http://www.cpuid.com ... grab CPUz and look under the mainboard tab ... at the least ill need to know the chipset).

Ok here's an analysis:
- Athlon64's dont have a FSB .. they have a Hypertransport ... a small semantic difference perhaps but for starters I can tell you if your HT is running 400MHz then you're machine is already underpowered to crap. The A64-3400 is a Socket754 part and as such the chipset supports 200,400,600 and 800MHz Hypertransport speeds. For starters youll want to jack the Hypertransport back to its proper 800MHz. Now there is one caveat ... if you have a nForce3-150 board their the maximum HTT is 600 (not 800).
- Now since your Hypertransport is set for 400MHz and you have a OEM bios (cuz Compaq/HP make their own), i'll surmise that your core clock is set incorrectly as well (CPUz can tell you all that funky information .. look in the box labeled HTT ... it should read 200MHz or so)
- About the RAM .. if Compaq gave you PC2700 (DDR333) memory then the memory will run at 333Mhz (since the BIOS wont often allow OCing). Only thing you can do is upgrade the memory.

Also, on a computer info screen in the control panel, it said that my CPU is 1.6GHz. I know that the 3400 is NOT 1.6GHz.
Like with the 400MHz Hypertransport ... this could just be the effects of Cool n Quiet ... why use CPU power when you dont need it. Try reading that display while you're doing an intensive test of some sort (i suggest ParticleFury, google it, its free)

Bobo

banned
Wow, that was easy. I had downloaded Everest, and it could not tell me what mobo i have. But according to cpuz, I have an ASUSTek Salmon 1.03 with a Sis 760 Chipset. I had figures out the latter, just by looking inside the comp.

I dont know where I saw the 400MHz FSB, I think it was on the HP website, where I bought this comp.

Under the CPU tab on cpuz, it said the CPU core speed is 1804MHz, and the HTT is 200.9MHz

Under the memory tab, it said the RAM freq is 164.4 MHz. What a waste! I could have PC2100 for a better price and the same performance.

Compaq gave me PC3200, I made sure of that.

Could all of this have anything to do with having an older HD installed???

How do I go about "jacking up" the HTT?

Bobo

banned
Yeah, when I ran Particle Fury, the CPU speed went up to 2.4 GHz

Is there any way I can keep it there?

:eek:

P.S. Particle Fury is hypnotic!

:eek:

Bobo

banned
How do I go about keeping the CPU and RAM running at top speed?

This really pisses me off, cause I like to have my computer in tip-top condition.

Bobo

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, when I ran Particle Fury, the CPU speed went up to 2.4 GHz
Is there any way I can keep it there?
Disable Cool n Quiet and youll be running full bore all the time :) (you'll have to look in the BIOS for the Cool n Quiet feature)

Bobo

banned
How do I get to the BIOS in XP? I have the diagnostics screen enabled, but I have yet to get into the BIOS. What tab would that be under?

Bobo

banned
And how do I get a picture under my name like you have?

Don't laugh at me, I just joined today. And my skills are more in computer hardware than software.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How do I get to the BIOS in XP? I have the diagnostics screen enabled, but I have yet to get into the BIOS. What tab would that be under?
You do it at the beginning when you turn your computer on, press Delete or F1 or whatever it tells you to press. Just be careful in BIOS so you dont really mess stuff up.

And how do I get a picture under my name like you have?
Don't laugh at me, I just joined today. And my skills are more in computer hardware than software.
Goto your User Control panel, under User Options i think. I have no idea (cant remember)

Bobo

banned
I tried that, F1 only takes me to setup, and I didn't see anything about that. I can try again, though :rolleyes:

I have 3 HDs on my comp currently, one 7200rpm 40gig, the other two older ones from previous comps, about 10 years old. Will they put a limitation on anything I do? Besides the read/write speed

Thanks

Bobo

computerdude2004

It is user avatar in your user CP to get the picture under your name. That picture is called an avatar. You should try Delete, Escape and F1 through about F6 or F7. If you go to F8 it will ask you how you want to start your computer, Safe Mode, or Normal. That isn't the menu you are looking for.

Bobo

banned
Yeah, I figured that out. But I'll have to look for some pics, my comp is only 1 month old.

Have any of you tried the new laser mouse from Logitech? It is supposed to be 20x better than optical, 20x more exxxxpensive, too ($69.99)

Bobo

banned
Since When????

I could get an optical mouse at Best Buy on Black Friday ( I was there at 5:00 AM) for $9.99! I could still get one for about $19.99

OK, maybe 20x was a little bit exxxxaggerated, but still..

F1 is the BIOS screen, but after exxxxtensive searching, I still cannot find it

Any other options through the control panel?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I tried that, F1 only takes me to setup, and I didn't see anything about that. I can try again, though
BIOS = Setup :) as for wher ein the BIOS, prolly under the POwer/Boot tab under an entry like "Hardware Monitor"

Have any of you tried the new laser mouse from Logitech? It is supposed to be 20x better than optical, 20x more exxxxpensive, too ($69.99)
New topic, new thread please. Keeps the place clean :)

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
BIOS = Setup :) as for wher ein the BIOS, prolly under the POwer/Boot tab under an entry like "Hardware Monitor"

You got some major spelling problems! :p

New topic, new thread please. Keeps the place clean :)

Yeah, sure. I only joined today!

Bobo

banned
Yes, i understand, I also am an organizational freak.

But right now I am a very pissed off organizational freak, cause I can't figure out how to turn off "cool and quiet." :mad:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Get us a model for the motherboard and/or a direct link to the manual and ill see if i cant help more. If you dont know the model, CPUz might be able to help (www.cpuid.com)