Change RAM speed

Bobo

banned
I had already told you my mobo, attached is a screenshot. I dont totally understand it. I was reading another thread from a guy in Israel about his grahics card, and he mentioned he had Smartdoctor. Would that help you/me at all?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The reason i asked for the screenie is because goddamn OEMs use fcukt upt named mobos (i.e., Salmon). In this case it seems your board is crippled from the ASUS K8S-MX (which features the SIS965L SB). You can get DLs for this board from http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8S-MX

As for getting to the hardware monitor, goto the Power Tab in the BIOS and there it is "Hardware Monitor" (just like all ASUS boards). Now if its not there, chalk it up to Compaq giving you an OEM'd BIOS without useful features like this. Your second bet is to use the ASUS Probe software from within Windows

Grab the manual for the related board, http://www.asus.com.tw/support/down...3_id=3&m_id=1&f_name=e1647_k8s-mx.pdf~zaqwedc and have a read, its all in there, very standatd and ASUS-ey, if you cant find the features in your BIOS then that is the fault of an OEM board. :)

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
The reason i asked for the screenie is because goddamn OEMs use fcukt upt named mobos (i.e., Salmon). In this case it seems your board is crippled from the ASUS K8S-MX (which features the SIS965L SB).

So you're saying my board is a "godd*** ****t up" OEM? Why would it be OEM?

BTW, I bought this through HP, who i really trust(ed) until now
:mad:

Praetor said:
Grab the manual for the related board, http://www.asus.com.tw/support/down...-mx.pdf~zaqwedc and have a read, its all in there, very standatd and ASUS-ey, if you cant find the features in your BIOS then that is the fault of an OEM board.

You mean ass-ey?? :p

I'll look for that, if it aint there, HP will get a nasty email

Bobo

banned
Nope, it aint there. All thats under the "power" tab is:
"After AC Power Failure" and
"WOL in S4"

Whatever the latter means

Do I need a bios upgrade?

URRRRGGGGGHHHHHH :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bobo

banned
The pic of the mobo in the manual is NOT the same as mine, not even close.
I have 3PCI, it has 2
I have 3IDE, it has 1
My RAM is on the top, its is on the side
URG!

You siad it would be different, but is that too different? And thats just physical!

Bobo

banned
I was just thinking, if I oc my CPU and RAM just a tiny bit, would they hold there?

How would I oc it? I cant change the multiplier through the bios, b/c apparantely it is OEM

Bobo

banned
I took out the stick of RAM that came with my comp, and the other stick started running at 400MHz. But the stick that I took out clearly says Hynix pc3200u-30330 256mb ddr 400mhz cl3. I guess some default is set to run at 333mhz? But im going to put it back in, b/c my comp is running stupidly slow with only 256MB, 512MB pc2700 is better than 256MB pc3200 (duh!)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever the latter means
WOL in S4 = Wake on LAN in [Power] State 4

Do I need a bios upgrade?
Its not a matter of an upgrade ... because to my understanding Compaq doesnt do those.

You siad it would be different, but is that too different? And thats just physical
The number of ports and connectors is somewhat irellevent because the stuff that matters (the chipset) is similar. The board I found has the same NB (which is mostly what counts) and an improved SB. The improvement on the SB prolly adds small stuff like firewire or SATA or some silliness like that

I was just thinking, if I oc my CPU and RAM just a tiny bit, would they hold there?
How would I oc it? I cant change the multiplier through the bios, b/c apparantely it is OEM
You wont be able to OC through BIOS... compaq doesnt put that feature in (for warranty purposes). You might be able to get through via ClockGen but I dunno youll have to see if your chipset/board is there (which I doubt). People dont buy (std) OEM for OCing.

I took out the stick of RAM that came with my comp, and the other stick started running at 400MHz.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh right. Ok then I know what's going on. I didnt think OEM boards were that crummy nowadays (especially with DDR400 but i guess ya never really know). Ok the small print is that "If you populate N-1 DIMMS where N is the total number available on the board, then your RAM will run at the maximum speed (in this case DDR400), if you populate N DIMMS then it will run at the second highest memory speed". Dont ask me why its likt that -- it just is. This is *much more common* with older class motherboards (and laptops) when PC2700 was still new ... filling up all the slots meant you were running at PC2100 :) Problem solved (or at least mystery revealed). Since you cant OC, theres not much you can do about it.

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
The number of ports and connectors is somewhat irellevent because the stuff that matters (the chipset) is similar. The board I found has the same NB (which is mostly what counts) and an improved SB. The improvement on the SB prolly adds small stuff like firewire or SATA or some silliness like that.

NB and SB? I not a computer whiz, just an OK computer hobbyist

I have firewire and SATA, the primary HD is SATA

Praetor said:
People dont buy (std) OEM for OCing.

I didnt KNOW it was OEM

Praetor said:
You wont be able to OC through BIOS... compaq doesnt put that feature in (for warranty purposes). You might be able to get through via ClockGen but I dunno youll have to see if your chipset/board is there (which I doubt). People dont buy (std) OEM for OCing.

Warranty, Schmorranty, the warranty iis prolly already void b/c I opened up the case. :)

Praetor said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh right. Ok then I know what's going on. I didnt think OEM boards were that crummy nowadays (especially with DDR400 but i guess ya never really know). Ok the small print is that "If you populate N-1 DIMMS where N is the total number available on the board, then your RAM will run at the maximum speed (in this case DDR400), if you populate N DIMMS then it will run at the second highest memory speed". Dont ask me why its likt that -- it just is. This is *much more common* with older class motherboards (and laptops) when PC2700 was still new ... filling up all the slots meant you were running at PC2100 :) Problem solved (or at least mystery revealed). Since you cant OC, theres not much you can do about it.

Crap!

I really don't mind the RAM running at PC2700 speed, I don't notice that much of a dfference, but I should have saved up my money for a 512MB stick, so I could take out the PC 3200/2700. Oh well, I'll save up again

Thanks so much for your help, I'm mad, but at least I know what is going on now.

Is there any way to change the HT speed? You said it is "underpowered to crap", or is that another one of those little annoying things?

Thanks

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
NB and SB? I not a computer whiz, just an OK computer hobbyist
Sorry, northbridge and southbridge, the two halves of the chipset :)

Thanks so much for your help, I'm mad, but at least I know what is going on now.
Yeah I knew it was a simple answer ... clicked when u said it "worked" when you popped otu a stick ... its not a common thing though like I said, more common with the older boards.

Is there any way to change the HT speed? You said it is "underpowered to crap", or is that another one of those little annoying things?
Its not one of the quirks like I mentioned with the RAM but it might be a limitation of the OEM BIOS. In either case have a look at the advanced cpu settings in the BIOS. It might be there ... I dunno .. OEM BIOSes are wierd :p

Praetor, What time zone are you in?
GMT-5 but you wouldnt know it from my postings :p

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Its not one of the quirks like I mentioned with the RAM but it might be a limitation of the OEM BIOS. In either case have a look at the advanced cpu settings in the BIOS. It might be there ... I dunno .. OEM BIOSes are wierd :p

There is no "advanced cpu settings"

OEM is wierd!!!

Praetor said:
GMT-5 but you wouldnt know it from my postings :p

Thats for sure!!

Same time zone as im in, but i have to go to bed at 9:30 on school nights. You dont have a mom to tell you when to go to bed.

Youd be good friends with my uncle, who gets up at 3:00 pm and goes to bed at 6:00 am. He is also a computer technician/geek. Must run in my family, my dad does that too.

I try to put smilies in, but it always puts them at the end. Why does it do that?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
OEM is wierd!!!
Got that right.

Same time zone as im in, but I have to go to bed at 9:30 on school nights. You dont have a mom to tell you when to go to bed.
I moved out after highschool :p University studies doesnt allow much for sleep ;)

Youd be good friends with my uncle, who gets up at 3:00 pm and goes to bed at 6:00 am. He is also a computer technician/geek. Must run in my family, my dad does that too.
Get up? What's that mean? ;)

I try to put smilies in, but it always puts them at the end. Why does it do that?
Try clicking the smiley button from the Advanced Response interface, i dunno, i use a proggie i wrote on the side to do my forum resposnes etc

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
i dunno, i use a proggie i wrote on the side to do my forum resposnes etc

You use a program to do your responses? How lazy can you get? Well, when you do 200 responses a day, thats not a bad idea
:rolleyes:

Thanks again, not that it solved my problem, but at least I know what is going on, for the first time in my life! :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You use a program to do your responses? How lazy can you get? Well, when you do 200 responses a day, thats not a bad idea
Not just that, when you answer the same questions over and over and over ........

Bobo

banned
Hahaha, very funny. Mebbe i'll do that just to annoy you.

Or mebbe not, like I said before, youll kick me off :D

Blade

SPAM SPAM SPAM...you have all been spammed...just joking :D

i bought a microsoft optical for $69 AUD ...which means that...about $3.30 buys a normal mouse wherever Bobo comes from