Changing my Graphic card (and PSU if needed)

Punk

Staff member
It is. I checked. You should be good to go.

Alright thanks Unicorn and Denther!

I'll probably buy this in the next week :)

Edit: and all for the help :)

I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
The GPU should fit. I'd go and find out the length of the card first though and then get a tape measure and see if it will fit inside your case, just to be sure. Looking at the pictures, I think it should probably just about fit, but measure just to be certain!

About the CPU: the i3 is really quite a good gaming CPU actually and replacing the CPUs in these OEM PCs can be a right pain because the boards can be quite picky about what they will and will not work with. I'd keep the i3 unless you find that you are forced to upgrade it once you have your graphics card because of performance issues. To be honest though, I think you'll be fine with your i3. I used one for a gaming rig for a local organisation of mine and paired with a GTX 560 Ti it was awesome. From the top of my head, I think the 7850 may perform about the same or maybe slightly better than the 560 Ti, but the 270X will definitely be faster than both.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member

spirit

Staff member
Yes, the 7870 is a good card, definitely and I like Sapphire Radeons. As I've said, every Radeon I've owned so far has been from Sapphire. :)

Just make sure you can find out the length of the card and measure the room inside your case just to see if it fits. It doesn't look massively long but it does look a bit longer than a 7850 I think.

The CX 500M will be OK but I think for the 7870 I'd probably be inclined to maybe go to 600W (CX 600M). Just give yourself a little bit of headroom. It looks like the CX 600M is only 10 Euros or so more expensive so I'd probably get that instead http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composa...n-modulaire-CORSAIR-CX600M-600W-80-Bronze.htm

Punk

Staff member
Yes, the 7870 is a good card, definitely and I like Sapphire Radeons. As I've said, every Radeon I've owned so far has been from Sapphire. :)

Just make sure you can find out the length of the card and measure the room inside your case just to see if it fits. It doesn't look massively long but it does look a bit longer than a 7850 I think.

The CX 500M will be OK but I think for the 7870 I'd probably be inclined to maybe go to 600W (CX 600M). Just give yourself a little bit of headroom. It looks like the CX 600M is only 10 Euros or so more expensive so I'd probably get that instead http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composa...n-modulaire-CORSAIR-CX600M-600W-80-Bronze.htm

I can do ten more euros :)

I'll take the measurements and buy it soon as the deal ends tomorrow :)

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
He can get the 7870 if he likes - apparently the 270X is going to be about the same speed as the 7870 anyway, so... his choice.

Darren

Staff member
The PSU will fit. It's just going to be longer than your current one. Which is fine. As long as it's footprint on the back of the case is the same (which it should be) is the same, you're fine.

Your new card can be longer than your current. You just have to make sure you have enough space starting from the back of your case where your current video card is to as far forward as you'll get before you hit a drive cage or (by the looks of your case) the front of your case.

spirit

Staff member
The PSU will fit. It's just going to be longer than your current one. Which is fine. As long as it's footprint on the back of the case is the same (which it should be) is the same, you're fine.

Your new card can be longer than your current. You just have to make sure you have enough space starting from the back of your case where your current video card is to as far forward as you'll get before you hit a drive cage or (by the looks of your case) the front of your case.
Yeah, exactly. The new card is obviously going to be longer than the last one.

Punk

Staff member
Still having doubts it will fit, do you think the PSU will fit in the box?

DSC_0003_zpse05a8526.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsd2c71642.jpg

DSC_0004_zps3dc7e1d6.jpg

DSC_0005_zps8a9f0b68.jpg

DSC_0001_zps18b05bf4.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Well the 7770 is faster than the 7750 and the GTX 650 Ti isn't bad. I'd get a 7790 or a 7850 over both of those options though.

It looks like you might be able to accommodate a longer graphics card, so definitely look at the 7850.

I think the power supply will fit too.

PCunicorn

Also the R9 290X will most likely be a bit shorter then a 7870. The PSU will fit. Its pretty short, I will measure mine tomorrow.

spirit

Staff member
I think you'll be fine with any standard-sized power supply. It might be a pain to fit, but it should fit since it looks like it's standard ATX size (trust me on this - experience of fitting branded PSUs into OEM systems).

Therefore, you'll be fine with the Corsair CX 500M or the 600M. For a 7850, I think the 500M will be sufficient.

Aastii

VIP Member
It does not matter if the components are bigger than what you have now. The connections are all the same and the ATX power supply is a standard size, though some are longer than others, but not by substantial amounts.

You want to measure from the back of the case to the front of the case where your graphics card is, from the back right up to whatever is in the way first, either the front of the case or a hard drive bay.

The cables do not matter, they can move around but the hard drive bay cannot. If the distance from the back of the case to the first obstacle at the front is greater than the length of your chosen card it will fit