Check out my RIG.

Dast

GPU
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7970 3GB DDR5 384bit PCIe

CPU
Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor (12M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 Kit

Cooler
Corsair Hydro Series H80 CPU Cooler ( Do I need a cooler for both CPU and GPU ? )

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRX 3TB HDD 3.5" (64MB Cache, IntelliPower, SATA 6 Gb/s)

Power Supply
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80+ Bronze Certified (CMPSU-850TXV2EU)

Motherboard
MSI X79A-GD45 (s 2011, X79 ,DDR3)

Case
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Midi Tower Black (RC-922M-KKN1-GP)

I'm opened to any suggestions and I'm ready to replace any piece if it proves itself to be worthy. I should mention that this PC is supposed to be mostly used in gaming.

Jet

VIP Member
Looks good, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't an SSD in there!

spirit

Staff member
Complete overkill for gaming.

Get an i7 3770K and an awesome Z77 board if you really want the i7, otherwise save a bundle get an i5. A good board to get for an i5 3570K or an i7 3770K would be a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H.

Graphics card is great, good choice. No you don't need a cooler for the GPU, it should already have one. The H80 will be great for the 3570K/3770K and you could overclock either really well with it.

PSU is overkill though for a single 7970, a TX 750 would do the job fine.

The HDD you chose is slow. That 5900 RPM drive will seriously bottleneck your performance. Get a nice 7200 RPM disk, Western Digital and Seagate make some good ones, or even better still get an SSD. Maybe with the money you save on the CPU, board and PSU you could spend on an SSD. I like and use the Crucial M4.

The case is good but I prefer the NZXT Phantom myself.

16GB of RAM is overkill, but if you got the money, go for it. Otherwise go for 8gB. Vengeance RAM is good stuff.

Dast

Thank you both for the fast replies. To make it clear about the budget, well, I don't mind spending some extra cash if the piece is worth it.

About the CPU, well you are not the first who strongly recommends me to go for the i7 3770k, but may I know what's wrong with i7 3930k ? Also I'll check out the Gigabyte motherboard.

Yeah, I know the PSU is kinda too much, but I may add some extra stuff so better be safe than sorry :). Also, would you mind telling me if that PSU will influence in any way my GPU ?

Thanks for showing me that case, I may switch to that one and to clear it out with the RAM, well, I may be in the situation of hosting a server so I thought that 16GB will suit that task much better than 8GB.

Will consider checking, and possibly changing, the HDD either although I don't have much experience with that.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Thanks you both for the fast replies. To make it clear about the budget, well, I don't mind spending some extra cash if the piece is worth it.

About the CPU, well you are not the first who strongly recommends me to go for the i7 3770k, but may I know what's wrong with i7 3930k ? Also I'll check out the Gigabyte motherboard.

It's not worth spending $550 on a CPU. That's what's wrong.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Noctura makes some beast coolers. It would definitely do the job. I'm not familiar with a Hydro.

Jet

VIP Member
Thank you both for the fast replies. To make it clear about the budget, well, I don't mind spending some extra cash if the piece is worth it.

Yeah, I know the PSU is kinda too much, but I may add some extra stuff so better be safe than sorry :). Also, would you mind telling me if that PSU will influence in any way my GPU ?

Thanks for showing me that case, I may switch to that one and to clear it out with the RAM, well, I may be in the situation of hosting a server so I thought that 16GB will suit that task much better than 8GB.

Will consider checking, and possibly changing, the HDD either although I don't have much experience with that.

Nothing is wrong with the i7 3930K. It's a great processor, and if you need a 6 core processor for more cpu-intensive tasks (ie, something like rendering animation), then it is definitely worth the money. However, for gaming you won't see a big enough improvement to spend the extra money. The i7 3770k or an i5 3570k would give you more value for the money.

The PSU may be overkill for now, but if you're interested in overclocking or crossfire in the future it's not a terrible thing.

Both Noctua and the H80 are great coolers, and there are camps on both sides that say one or the other are better. I personally use the Corsair and have had great success with it. It can handle quite a bit of heat during overclocking.

FuryRosewood

Or you could dial back to a i7 3820 and wait for IB-E when you want six cores. the 3820 runs about 229 on MicroCenter if theres one nearby, which is not much more dough than a i5, and runs as fast if not faster in some applications. Motherboard may be a tad pricier, but its no pricier than a high end 1155 board.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Alright, I will check the prices and decide which one to get. Also I'd like to know if a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 will the job better than a Corsair Hydro Series H80.

Idk, but a thermalright silver arrow SB-e is even better. The extreme edition is just awesome! But it depends on where you live if you can buy it...

Dast

Nothing is wrong with the i7 3930K. It's a great processor, and if you need a 6 core processor for more cpu-intensive tasks (ie, something like rendering animation), then it is definitely worth the money. However, for gaming you won't see a big enough improvement to spend the extra money. The i7 3770k or an i5 3570k would give you more value for the money.

The PSU may be overkill for now, but if you're interested in overclocking or crossfire in the future it's not a terrible thing.

Both Noctua and the H80 are great coolers, and there are camps on both sides that say one or the other are better. I personally use the Corsair and have had great success with it. It can handle quite a bit of heat during overclocking.

Alright, now I see how this rolls and I will rethink the situation. About the overclock, yes, I'm pretty sure that I will do it somewhen after I use the PC for a little. As for the cooler, well, I guess it doesn't really matter which one I choose.

The last thing I'm not sure about is the PSU, but from what you said, I guess it doesn't matter if it's that powerful and it won't do any harm :).

Thanks for the reply.

Or you could dial back to a i7 3820 and wait for IB-E when you want six cores. the 3820 runs about 229 on MicroCenter if theres one nearby, which is not much more dough than a i5, and runs as fast if not faster in some applications. Motherboard may be a tad pricier, but its no pricier than a high end 1155 board.

I pretty much have to replace my PC as soon as possible. My GT 220 simply isn't digging the heat anymore.

Well, the Motherboard I chose isn't that expensive in my country. However if you can suggest a better one I will glady check it out and possibly get it. :)

Idk, but a thermalright silver arrow SB-e is even better. The extreme edition is just awesome! But it depends on where you live if you can buy it...

The Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is available in my country, just found it in a store. Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely consider checking this cooler out.

Yeah that Green drive will really bottleneck your performance, it's only a 5900 RPM drive. Slow!

Yeah, you are not the first one who says this ;P. Someone did recommend me getting a Caviar Black, instead of a Caviar Green, lemme know if that's actually any better. Also feel free to recommend me a HDD/SSD.

spirit

Staff member
Yes the Caviar Black is much faster than the Green. Might also want to look into some of Seagate's Barracuda drives. They make some good 7200 RPM 64MB cache disks which are large and well priced. I think a 1TB disk is about 100 bucks?

SSD wise, the Samsung 840 or the Crucial M4 is my recommendation.

wolfeking

banned
Yeah that Green drive will really bottleneck your performance, it's only a 5900 RPM drive. Slow!
I am going to have to disagree here. Boot times is all it is. Having used both a SSD (samgsung 830), 7200 RPM, and 5400 RPM in the same machine with the same OSes on them, I hardly ever can tell the difference unless I just pushed the power button. A lot of the "speed" of the SSD is placebo. just surfing teh net, gaming, using office programs, and the like, you will not feel the difference between 7200 and SATA 2/3 SSD without looking at benchmarks, assuming everything is properly set up. 5400 RPM you may notice in game load times, but that is about it.

spirit

Staff member
The OP is looking to spend a lot of money though and for the price he is paying, he likely will not want any bottlenecks at all, and I see that drive sticking out like a saw thumb as a bottleneck. In my opinion, it'd be better to go for a 7200 RPM drive.

Green drives are good if you want them for storage, or you're looking to save cost, but as a boot drive in your $1000+ gaming PC I don't think they really work.

My opinion.

Dast

Yes the Caviar Black is much faster than the Green. Might also want to look into some of Seagate's Barracuda drives. They make some good 7200 RPM 64MB cache disks which are large and well priced. I think a 1TB disk is about 100 bucks?

SSD wise, the Samsung 840 or the Crucial M4 is my recommendation.

Thanks for the SSDs, I will check 'em.

Well, about the HDD, I really want something with a shitload of space. The max capacity for a Caviar Black is 2TB and that's actually pretty good. However, the biggest capacity model I could find from Seagate's Barracuda is ST3000DM001.

spirit

Staff member
Well I suppose if you want the most space possible with one disk, get a Caviar Black 4TB, or for less you could get two of those Seagates and have 6TB if you're really that concerned about storage.

I have a 2TB Caviar Green and it's big enough, I reckon 3TB would be fine.

Either drive (the Black or the Seagate) would be great.