Check out this test photo!

JTM

Wow that's sick. A friend of mine actually does some photography and he takes mint pictures. Nothing of that scale, but he does have a pretty sick Nikon! Good work.

tidyboy21

[QUOTE='[-0MEGA-]I should mention though that I did ZERO editing on this photo, this was simply taking from the camera in RAW, combined in Photoshop, and then saved as a JPEG.[/QUOTE]

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are using the files straight from the camera and not doing any PP work in RAW software there really is no point of shooting RAW at all.

tidyboy21

What don't you get? All I'm saying is if there is no PP done, then the image is saved as a JPEG, you might as well shoot JGEG to start with. RAW images are Digital Negatives. Processing these files is non-destructive. If images are exposed correctly all you will need to do is a few levels/ curves adjustments, white balance (possibly) then a boost in colours if needed. To get the most out of your images they should be saved as 16bit TIFFs not JPEGs.

If you do save images as JPEGs then decide to edit them later on, image quality is not going to be as good. Try it for yourselves.

Geoff

VIP Member
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are using the files straight from the camera and not doing any PP work in RAW software there really is no point of shooting RAW at all.

What don't you get? All I'm saying is if there is no PP done, then the image is saved as a JPEG, you might as well shoot JGEG to start with. RAW images are Digital Negatives. Processing these files is non-destructive. If images are exposed correctly all you will need to do is a few levels/ curves adjustments, white balance (possibly) then a boost in colours if needed. To get the most out of your images they should be saved as 16bit TIFFs not JPEGs.

If you do save images as JPEGs then decide to edit them later on, image quality is not going to be as good. Try it for yourselves.
I ALWAYS edit my photos in Photoshop prior to saving them as JPEG's. I simply posted this photo up online unedited so you can see what merging 6 photos together does in terms of detail. I save each RAW file so if I decide to make something with a photo such as printing, I can re-save it as a TIFF.

tidyboy21

[-0MEGA-];1224214 said:
I ALWAYS edit my photos in Photoshop prior to saving them as JPEG's. I simply posted this photo up online unedited so you can see what merging 6 photos together does in terms of detail. I save each RAW file so if I decide to make something with a photo such as printing, I can re-save it as a TIFF.

:good: