Choosing a power supply

Xander95

Okay I have somewhat given up on the build I was planning and moved onto something else. I am looking for a power supply on Newegg that would have all the power a computer would need for any and all future upgrades. I'm looking for a power supply that fits an ATX case. So any suggestions? I need to know pins and everything.

Agent Smith

Off the top of my head some good brands to look out for are; Antec, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, Corsair, and EVGA.

Depending on what hardware you have now will dictate what PSU you need. Also note that future proofing with a PSU isn't gonna happen. Over time they wear out and should be replaced. I've read many threads on other forums where a person used their old PSU for a new build only to find out the MOBO wasn't working right and they thought it might have been RAM or the MOBO. Even going so far as to return the MOBO or RAM thinking it was bad, but it was actually the old PSU.

So don't look for a PSU to be future proof. Look mostly at the CPU and video card for future proofing. Probably the CPU above all else since if they release a video card that has like over 3,000 cuda cores and is 5,000 MHz or some damn thing, adding that to a computer with a less than stellar CPU and you have yourself a nice bottleneck.

It's probably safe to say that one should just upgrade the whole computer once every 4 years or so. Maybe 5 or 6 depending on what you use it for. In the computer world, technology evolves so fast. I remember when Skylake just came out which seems like yesterday and now there's Kaby Lake already. Probably not much different in CPU power though. Especailly if you over clock. But I haven't compared the two.

Xander95

What will your PC specs?
These are the parts I am looking at currently. All I need to know is what connecters to use. I never built a computer from the ground up. And please don't question my part choice. I am building the computer as a gift for my sister.
Hangouts1.jpg

Calin

And please don't question my part choice. I am building the computer as a gift for my sister.
Sorry to question your choices but that is the original Titan X from 2015, it's not the new Xp. If you want the newest one, you have to buy it directly from the nVidia website.

As for the pins, you'll need the 24 Pin mobo connector, an 8 pin and a 6 pin for the GPU (the newer Titan which you should get uses the same connectors as the one from 2015), an 8 pin for the CPU, and the Sata power cables for your Hard Drive(s) and SSD(s). If you run fans that have molex connectors you'll need those aswell but any decent power supply should have them.

Xander95

Sorry to question your choices but that is the original Titan X from 2015, it's not the new Xp. If you want the newest one, you have to buy it directly from the nVidia website.

As for the pins, you'll need the 24 Pin mobo connector, an 8 pin and a 6 pin for the GPU (the newer Titan which you should get uses the same connectors as the one from 2015), an 8 pin for the CPU, and the Sata power cables for your Hard Drive(s) and SSD(s). If you run fans that have molex connectors you'll need those aswell but any decent power supply should have them.
I chose that one because of the fact that I needed something to take into the calculations.

beers

Staff member
@Xander95 specific parts would give a better idea of power consumption, a quality 750w unit should also give you a lot of flexibility in builds.
But with a single GPU it would be very inefficient
I think 'very inefficient' is a bit sensationalist when the 10% load numbers are around 85% efficiency and 20% load cracks into the 90's when using a 120v circuit.