Choppy 1080 playback to HDTV

Justin

VIP Member
My laptop plays 1080 files without any problems if I'm watching on the laptop itself. But whenever I hook it up to my HDTV when there's a lot of action or movement in the scene the video becomes choppy or laggy, however the audio is still fine.

GPU is a Nvidia GT330m 1gb.

SpringWater

This might be caused by lower refresh rate of your tv, for example your laptop has a refresh rate of 60hz and your tv has a refresh rate of 30hz. Try to play around in the refresh rate settings. I'm not a pro so don't judge me if I'm telling you lies :D Just trying to help...

salvage-this

^It's a fine suggestion.

Can you give us the resolution of your laptop screen and the CPU usage when playing the same 1080 file on your laptop screen and on the TV?

are you using the Toshiba or the Mac laptop?

Justin

VIP Member
I'm using the Toshiba.

Both my laptop and TV have 60hz refresh rates. Laptop is 1680x945. I'll have a check on the CPU usage.

Justin

VIP Member
CPU usage when watching on the laptop is 10-18%
CPU usage when connected to the TV is 12-28%. I noticed the video becomes laggy when usage hits 23-25%.

My CPU is a i7 740qm

salvage-this

Hmm that is weird. Is the file on your HDD or is it flash/silverlght?

Edit: look at your power settings if it's not already on performance see if that would change anything. I don't really have high hopes since you are only < 30% usage but it is worth a shot.

Justin

VIP Member
It's on mn my 2nd internal HDD. These are iTunes purchased movies/tv shows so i have to watch it in iTunes itself. Could iTunes have something to do with it?

It's already on performance mode.

salvage-this

Unlikely but If you want to test it hook up your Mac to the TV and try it out.

Are you running it in full screen mode or windowed mode?

MMM

Will not be the hard drive since it plays Ok on his laptop screen.

Since his tv resolution is 1920×1080 his laptop setting is not, his video card is not to the task.

Last edited:

salvage-this

I find that hard to believe that the 330m can't handle 1080p files. Might as well post up GPU usage and see what it is at.

Do you know if you have an intelligent switch for your GPU on that laptop? It might be trying to play from the integrated GPU rather than the 330m.

G80FTW

My PC does the exact same thing, which is why I choose to use my Xbox to watch DVDs.

Im just taking a shot in the dark here, but it may have something to do with the response time of the TV and not the refresh rate. Since I dont think video cards are really designed to be used with TVs, the data they output may differ from that of a DVD player that was. And generally speaking monitors usually have a faster response time than TVs which I believe is why they are more expensive. So I believe the video cards are designed to work with faster response times than a TV offers.

Although that may be completely wrong. My TV operates at 60Hz and my other TV operates at 120hz and both are choppy playing back a DVD. Its not bad by any means, but its enough to be annoying.

Im pretty certain your drives have nothing to do with it though.

Okedokey

Will not be the hard drive since it plays Ok on his laptop screen.

Since his tv resolution is 1920×1080 his laptop setting is not, his video card is not to the task.

The internal resolution is 1,680 x 945 and the HDD has a 5400 rpm speed. Running HD at 1080p is a large upscale in throughput. I am still of the opinion that the HDD is too slow.

Okedokey

Copy it to a flash drive and see what happens.

Good idea, but unfortunately USB3 is the only implementation quicker than the theoretical maximum of 300MB/s you may expect from that HDD. In reality a slow HDD, fragmented on a laptop may got below a tenth of that. Given HD @ 1080p requires 28MB/s, you may be getting bottlenecks. At 0.4GB/s through USB3 that would remove the bottleneck for sure.

OP, got thunderbolt on that Mac and iphone 5?

Last edited:

salvage-this

How much speed do you think you really need for 1080? My HDDs are theoretically capped at 300mb/s but I have only seen it get close to 140mb/s once. Average is around 70mb/s. I have enough speed to play 1080 files on one monitor and game on the other.