Comcast Tracked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdock22

well ive been using utorrent for years, and to be honest i have bell, ultra with unlimited bandwidth , and i dont think they even car, its actually funny because the bell support forums have a section for p2p download help, and im in canada so ha!

Go Canada!

Is this illegal in Canada? I heard that it is legal since some of the money form blank dvds, cds are for royalites?

XanderCage

yep its 100 % legal to download copyrighted material from any network on the internet, yes it is true that canada has an agreement which kinda taxes cd-r and dvd-r media.

tlarkin

VIP Member
yep its 100 % legal to download copyrighted material from any network on the internet, yes it is true that canada has an agreement which kinda taxes cd-r and dvd-r media.

I would read between the lines before you go off and think its completely 100% legal.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you are only using the copies of your own music (cds that you have, or downloaded tracks from itunes or other legal electronic format store) for yourself then it is legal.

kof2000

actually it is still illegal to make copies i dont know where people get the idea if you bought the movie you are allow to make multiple copys and lend to friends and families ....

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Not movies. Music, in canada (and other places) can legally be copied for your own personal use. The law surrounding it is very fuzzy here. You aren't allowed to give the copy away, but you could give the original away and keep your copy.

patrickv

Sorry to hear bout that dude.But if i were u i'd put all copyrighted material on an exterbal drive..lol..and hide it safe..And if they ask me where's the material i'd say " i wached the movie then deleted it"...which i really didn't..lol.....Quoting "theresthatguy"....what will they do to you ?...what about me ?..i download movies,software everyday..i wonder what will happen to me ?

Core2Conroe

banned
say you had the torrenting stuff open and your friends cat stepped on the keyboard and then your other friends little sister clicked the mouse randomly and it hit download :p

WillyPitt

Me too, lol.

I registered just to comment on this, my mom just came in and handed me the same email that you got, but for a different movie. They just sent the email and did not call, yet atleast. I was using TPB or mininov and uTorrent, and i download a lot of tv shows, so im not sure if the fact that i was sucking up a lot of bandwidth had anything to do with it. It seems as though the MPAA just sees the IPs and notifies the ISPs, who must send out a warning. I googled for other letters and found this post, aswell as many others and i have not found any that had legal action taken against them, so we should be safe for now. Keep me posted.

zaroba

ehh....just more examples of the rich people in the riaa and mpaa who can't give up a few million of there billions a year of income. just like the gas companies this year using the hurricanes as an excuse to increase gas costs and make record profits by sucking more money out of the people.

to whoever it was that asked how they could track deleted files, when you delete stuff, its only deleted from the table on the hard drive that says where the file is located on the platters. the actual file still resides on the hard drive itself.

to the people who say it would be invasion of privacy for comcast to look in a pc...what make you think that it being illeagle will stop them? in todays world, theres no such thing as legal or illeagle. who's guilty and who's innocent only depends on who has a better lawyer to convince the jury.

Last edited:

rationalthinking

didnt read all the replies, so hope im not way off the current topic on this thread...

anyway, about 2-3yrs ago a friend received a letter about pirating songs on limewire. he was authorized to pay 25k if found accused. they didn't take any legal action. he received 2-3 letters with his parents lawyer talking on a phone convo to the prosecutor's lawyer. everything was then dropped and was basically a warning.

he was using limewire and just downloading songs.. no movies or other content.

cobalt300z

my friend goes to syracuse and he got busted dl'in a movie (i think it was john tucker must die) well the campus caught him instead of the big buisness tards well he got a warning and they now track his pc (ghey...)

g4m3rof1337

didnt read all the replies, so hope im not way off the current topic on this thread...

anyway, about 2-3yrs ago a friend received a letter about pirating songs on limewire. he was authorized to pay 25k if found accused. they didn't take any legal action. he received 2-3 letters with his parents lawyer talking on a phone convo to the prosecutor's lawyer. everything was then dropped and was basically a warning.

he was using limewire and just downloading songs.. no movies or other content.

My friend was caught to, how many songs did your friend download?

madtownidiot

Never, ever download "borrowed" stuff at home. Put your limewire on a flash drive and go to a library or some other public computer and download it there

Status
Not open for further replies.