comp build-is it good?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
The video card you chose is good you be fine with it.

Overall the system looks solid. The only thing I would conisder is not to get value ram. I am not certain but I think the ram you chose is cas 3. you would get better performance with cas 2 ram.

Last edited:

mgoldb2

VIP Member
The Kingston HyperX is excelent memory I been told from anybody that has used it. I dont know any one that has used the other memory so I cant speak for it. If it was me I would go with the kingston hyperX.

You should be fine with either if they run at what advertised. They both say cas 2 and 1T which from what I learned is the 2 main things to look for.

One more note I looked up the price of the leadtek geforce 6800 GT at newegg and it said it cost $458. If you paying less then $435 stick with it. Otherwise I would get the following video card instead. eVGA geforce 6800 ultra http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=1.

Last edited:

ripken2004

cant get that one, its agp, i need pci-e and it costs lots more

and where can i get some 1gb hyperx chips?- unbuffered, non-ecc
i cant find them anywhere

Last edited:

mgoldb2

VIP Member
ripken2004 said:
cant get that one, its agp, i need pci-e and it costs lots more

opps my mistake was not thinking I should of known that. I did read what motherboard you have.

and where can i get some 1gb hyperx chips?

What wrong with getting 2 512MB chips Especially since you have a duel channel motherboard. Unless you planning on getting 2 gigs?

mgoldb2

VIP Member
ripken2004 said:
ya ive been debating wether or not to get 2 gigs or 1, i think ill just go for 1 for now, the good ram that i want is soooo much $

im thinking about this
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-20
and its compatible with my mobo so ill be happy

That looks like good ram to me. I would go with it.

There really no need for 2 gigs of ram. Also It very difficult to find cas 2 1 gb chips. If you did find them they would cost a leg and a arm.

ripken2004

now for my hdd, should i get 2 120 gig drives and RAID 0 them or should i get 1 250 gig drive?

i have heard many different things about RAID 0, some ppl say it doesnt help at all in speed/performance and some say it helps up to 50%, plz tell me what u think about RAID

mgoldb2

VIP Member
ripken2004 said:
now for my hdd, should i get 2 120 gig drives and RAID 0 them or should i get 1 250 gig drive?

i have heard many different things about RAID 0, some ppl say it doesnt help at all in speed/performance and some say it helps up to 50%, plz tell me what u think about RAID

RAID 0 gives you very minor benfits. You proberly only notice the difference when dealing with LARGE amount of data at the same time. I have raid 0 and I dont see anything bad about it except one thing. If one of your harddrive dies then you loose all the data. So you have double the chance of a harddrive crashing causing you to loose all your data.

Really you half to weigh the benfits and cons your self and decide what best for you.

ripken2004

does any1 know how often hard drives fail b/c out of my whole family no one has ever had a hard drive fail, unless this only rly happens with the 7200 rpm drives cus i dont think any of them have that fast of one

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
it takes a long time, your typical drive will last about 5 years of running time. This varies with how often the drive is turned on and off and amount of time it is on per day.

ripken2004

well if its 5 yrs then it wont matter too much, considering i dont have anything rly important, just my reports for school and thats it, all my rly imprtant stuff is baked up on disc. also ide prolly be getting a new hdd by then

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
the 2nd one isn't worth the price jump, in fact a Value series set should be good for just about everyone unless you want bragging rights or something, which it looks like you do and money doesn't look like an object :)...oh well I still say the kingston is good enough

Systym

depends how you want to manage tower space. the two 120's under raid0 allow for a litle fault tolerance, but so does just having 2 120 gb hd's. the peopel who say it helps up to 50% are probably just thinking logical based on the def. of raid0. but in reality it doesnt improv performance as much as just a lil fault tolerance.

Yeti

VIP Member
the two 120's under raid0 allow for a litle fault tolerance
No, RAID0 allows for no fault tolerance. Its technically not RAID at all as it has no data redundancy.