Comparing AMD phenom II X6 to Intel

vieya

So I was looking at getting a new computer possibly from cyberpowerpc. Not sure if that's a good idea, give me your opinions on that. Do they give manuals to their motherboard/main boards?

The main point though is I was wondering if AMD phenom II X6 was worth it compared to intel i7. I was wondering for the cheaper price is it just as powerful? Not even in the same range.

Which processor from intel is AMD Phenom II X6 on the same level with? (Or is there no comparison?)

These are the two processors from the computers themselves:

AMD Phenom™II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

VS

Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

Drenlin

^that

CPU's aren't the bottleneck in games right now...GPU's are. An OC'd Athlon II x4 would be more than enough to play any game for most people. (Q6xxx on the Intel side)

Drenlin

Unless you have GPU accelerated plugins, only the CPU matters in editing. However, said plugins and general support from the program itself are becoming increasingly popular.

jasonn20

You can buy i5 760 which is better than 1090T in gaming, and much cheaper than i7 950

The i5 (overclocked) will benefit a few frames (5 at most) against the x6 (overclocked) since the i5 has more core for core clock for clock power than the x6 and most games use 2 cores some 4 cores which favor the i5 by a small amount in fps. But weighing it out the x6 has more multitasking power since it has 6 cores and tips the scales in favor of the x6. Also, the memory controller has been revised so the NB overclocks higher and gives the x6 an advantage over the other PhenomII's in certain areas. (965,955,etc..) The x6 is only going to get better with time as software/games will keep advancing to utilize all the cores...

I am not being a fanboy I'm just stating the way it is.... and the x6 is impressive

Last edited:

87dtna

I would take an I5 760 over a 1055t anyday no matter what the PC is being used for. And I would take an I7 over a 1090t anyday also.

95% of apps are single threaded, and intel whips AMD in single threaded things. Gaming performance is also better on I5's and I7's.
Not many things even use 4 threads, let alone 6. And the argument of future proof is just plain stupid because it will still be YEARS before anything is going to use 6 threads and by that time a 1090t and the I7's will all be atiquated pieces of crap like a P4 is now.

There's also no price difference if you go with an intel 1156 setup VS AM3. 1366 I7's will be more because the CPU's are more expensive plus triple channel ram is more.

jasonn20

I would take an I5 760 over a 1055t anyday no matter what the PC is being used for. And I would take an I7 over a 1090t anyday also.

95% of apps are single threaded, and intel whips AMD in single threaded things. Gaming performance is also better on I5's and I7's.
Not many things even use 4 threads, let alone 6. And the argument of future proof is just plain stupid because it will still be YEARS before anything is going to use 6 threads and by that time a 1090t and the I7's will all be atiquated pieces of crap like a P4 is now.

There's also no price difference if you go with an intel 1156 setup VS AM3. 1366 I7's will be more because the CPU's are more expensive plus triple channel ram is more.

95% of applications are single threaded.. are you serious?

If 5fps keeps a game from running smoothly then you need a better gpu...

The future is more cores and support for it is already happening..

87dtna

95% of applications are single threaded.. are you serious?

If 5fps keeps a game from running smoothly then you need a better gpu...

The future is more cores and support for it is already happening..

Yes absolutely, most apps are single. What apps do you use on a daily basis, seriously now don't go research every multithreaded app and say you use them.

pfft, 5 FPS more and the I5 has 400 less MHZ (I5 760 VS 1090T). That should say enough in itself as far as performance.

haha, more core support has been happening since the early 2000's, but here we are almost a decade later and only within the past 6 months or so it's been better to get a quad core over a dual core performance wise. 4 cores is WAY plenty to do anything with right now and again by the time 4 cores isn't enough both the I5's and 1090T's will be obsolete *architecture wise*. Case in point, look at the Phenom I's, a 9950 still has 4 cores, but it's a piece of crap now. Finally get it yet?

jasonn20

My OS supports as many cores as it can get pretty much and my IExplorer is not single threaded.... two heaviest used applications.... my video encoding software is multi threaded as well...

Even if all applications were single threaded that load would still be spread across all the cores so it not like cores are not being used... (multi-tasking)

So this seems to be more of single threaded performance (intel)vs multi tasking power(amd)....

87dtna

My OS supports as many cores as it can get pretty much and my IExplorer is not single threaded.... two heaviest used applications.... my video encoding software is multi threaded as well...

Even if all applications were single threaded that load would still be spread across all the cores so it not like cores are not being used... (multi-tasking)

So this seems to be more of single threaded performance (intel)vs multi tasking power(amd)....

The cores on the I5 are stronger than each core of the 1090T. 4 cores on the I5 can get MORE done at a faster rate than 6 cores on the 1090T, clock for clock. This is because of architectural differences, the I5 cores are that much stronger that 2 more cores on the Phenom II can't even match it's performance.

Lets explain this in a different way. Which would you rather have, a Phenom 9950 x4 or a Phenom II 720 x3? Thats basically whats going on here. The 3 cores can get work done at such a faster rate that it doesn't even matter that the older architectured chip has another core.

Last edited:

fastdude

The cores on the I5 are stronger than each core of the 1090T. 4 cores on the I5 can get MORE done at a faster rate than 6 cores on the 1090T, clock for clock. This is because of architectural differences, the I5 cores are that much stronger that 2 more cores on the Phenom II can't even match it's performance.

Lets explain this in a different way. Which would you rather have, a Phenom 9950 x4 or a Phenom II 720 x3? Thats basically whats going on here. The 3 cores can get work done at such a faster rate that it doesn't even matter that the older architectured chip has another core.

Well said.