computer for mom...

Ramodkk

VIP Member
So your mom wants it to be strictly at least $800? Anyways, I just don't see the point in getting even a quad core for your mom's computer. Tell her that she can save at least $300 by getting a nice photo editing computer built from nice parts.

I'm probably starting to annoy you, I'm sorry. I just feel like a mom does not need a manly rig (Quad Core, Video Card etc...) :p LOL Even less if all she's gonna do is edit pictures.

wiwazevedo

i agree. i completely agree. but. its not my computer. haha
the hp one she picked out has a q6600

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Go take the extra money and make her computer quiet or something. No adult would want jet engine for a computer.

And as for graphics card, no need for anything more than budget card. Go look for some passively cooled ATI card (they're generally known for better image quality).

Irishwhistle

Go take the extra money and make her computer quiet or something. No adult would want jet engine for a computer.

And as for graphics card, no need for anything more than budget card. Go look for some passively cooled ATI card (they're generally known for better image quality).

She's not gonna need a gfx card... integrated 3100 works fine for my photo editing.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I think he knows and agrees that his mom doesn't need a mid/high-end computer for photo editing, but his mom saw a computer for $800 and since he told her it was overpriced, now she wants to see if he can make something better for the same price. Afterall, a video card is not gonna hurt.

Irishwhistle

I think he knows and agrees that his mom doesn't need a mid/high-end computer for photo editing, but his mom saw a computer for $800 and since he told her it was overpriced, now she wants to see if he can make something better for the same price. Afterall, a video card is not gonna hurt.

True...

wiwazevedo

Ever consider giving your mom your computer and building the i7 rig for yourself?

yes i have. and i talkd to her abt it. shes considering it haha
wel see what happens though. it really depends on what she wants not what is practical. but ya. ur all right. i didnt know abt the ati cards known for better image quality. il look into that

konsole

doesnt really sound like she needs that great of a computer. I guess it would be good to get a high end system to future proof. I would do some research and find out whats important to have when doing the picture editing.

Irishwhistle

doesnt really sound like she needs that great of a computer. I guess it would be good to get a high end system to future proof. I would do some research and find out whats important to have when doing the picture editing.

Yeah, we know... the thing is, she was looking at an HP Q6600 rig for $800. Wiwazeved said he could build something better for that price... so basically he's trying to build something better then the $800 HP Q6600 rig for the some price. ;)http://www.computerforum.com/members/25594-wiwazevedo.html

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I just think that if you have $800 to play with, don't built "just another computer". Build a computer that is oriented for video editing and that your mom would like.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Okay, I'm gonna be completely honest. I highly suggest you persuade your mom into NOT-buying an $800 rig when all she needs is a $400 computer. :p Use the extra $400 for an uber photo printer and what not...

*sigh* I had to get that out of me :D

Irishwhistle

Okay, I'm gonna be completely honest. I highly suggest you persuade your mom into NOT-buying an $800 rig when all she needs is a $400 computer. :p Use the extra $400 for an uber photo printer and what not...

*sigh* I had to get that out of me :D

What he said.

Look in my sig for a good photo editing rig... :p

Just get a bigger/better HD of course (I already had mine, that's why I'm using it.)

wiwazevedo

once she gets back il talk to her about it. I kind of want that i7 rig haha. what I would do is buy an i7 rig minus the vid card and buy a cheap vid card and switch it with mine. then switch comps. or something. if not, I'l just convince her to spend less and build a more practical one.