Computer Forum Tech Guides

fastdude

Well, with technology the way it is, the best bang for your buck probably changes almost on a weekly basis.

So, you would have to maintain a list of hardware that would change weekly, plus what about specials and things on sale?

I think maybe a framework of how to qualify the best bang for your buck would be better, and it would apply to any future hardware releases. Things like qualifying the user. Like what they need, what they expect performance wise. Then budget, and look at overall cost of ownership.

Take into account warranties, support, customer service, etc. Then paint a picture of overall cost of ownership.

That would apply to any new hardware releases and sales. Otherwise, if you feel like maintaining and updating a bi-weekly article on the current best deal, go for it.

Though I realise it would be hard, what I'd really like to do is a sort of monthly-updated guide of the best components for certain budgets ($500 PC, $750 PC, etc.) I feel I could keep track of the new hardware releases each month, but I wouldn't be sure whether that would be too much like reinventing the wheel, as I think a few other computer sites have a hardware guide (bit-tech I know definitely does), but those guides, while comprehensive, don't really offer options in between the various budgets. They tend to leap from 400 to 1000 to 2000 to 5000, or something like that.
I could say what you would realistically be doing with a certain-budget PC: just web-browsing, light gaming, hi-res multiple monitor gaming, whatever.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Could I do a PC building budget recommendation guide? I may have a go at that, it's one of the few things I know a fair bit about :p

Awhile back, Bomberboy was working on an update to this guide. I'm not sure if he still plans to finish it. Maybe shoot him a PM to see where he's at. We definitely need a new page with current build recommendations.

The guide would have to be updated monthly to coincide with price changes, or have a broad view of best bang for your buck.

Right. At least once a month. Weekly would prolly be best though.

I think a better idea would be how to optimize your mid to low budget PC to make it run smoother. Like cheap after market upgrades, and tweaks to save money.

So like after market fans to keep it cooler, which isn't always expensive, and software configurations to help it run smoother.

we could add that as an addendum to a new build guide... if someone is up to the task. I'd do it myself but I'm way out of the loop at the moment. :(

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Well, with technology the way it is, the best bang for your buck probably changes almost on a weekly basis.

So, you would have to maintain a list of hardware that would change weekly, plus what about specials and things on sale?

I think maybe a framework of how to qualify the best bang for your buck would be better, and it would apply to any future hardware releases. Things like qualifying the user. Like what they need, what they expect performance wise. Then budget, and look at overall cost of ownership.

Take into account warranties, support, customer service, etc. Then paint a picture of overall cost of ownership.

That would apply to any new hardware releases and sales. Otherwise, if you feel like maintaining and updating a bi-weekly article on the current best deal, go for it.

I'm not sure if this is what you are getting at, if it is my apologies in advance, but would it not be easier to give a guide for what to look for in parts? so what are good things, bad things, things that may be specific to certain products that are pros/cons, order of importance of things to look for etc?

And I think I'm going to do a stop errors guide

fastdude

Awhile back, Bomberboy was working on an update to this guide. I'm not sure if he still plans to finish it. Maybe shoot him a PM to see where he's at. We definitely need a new page with current build recommendations.

Right. At least once a month. Weekly would prolly be best though.

we could add that as an addendum to a new build guide... if someone is up to the task. I'd do it myself but I'm way out of the loop at the moment. :(
Yeah, doesn't matter who does it, the budget recommendations need to be updated.
I could do bi-weekly, that wouldn't be too much hassle
By build guide, do you mean how to build a computer, like OMEGAs? I'd do it, I have a new rig coming up, only I haven't got a decent camera, I'm bogged down with school and it probably wouldn't look very tidy or professional. So I'm out of that one.
I'm not sure if this is what you are getting at, if it is my apologies in advance, but would it not be easier to give a guide for what to look for in parts? so what are good things, bad things, things that may be specific to certain products that are pros/cons, order of importance of things to look for etc?

Go for it:good:

I'm set on hardware, as above, rather than a framework, though I could incorporate both into a guide if I had to.

tlarkin

VIP Member

Even then you would have to abide by the ever changing hardware market. I think it is best to qualify the user. What are you needs? What are your wants? What are deal breakers? What is your preference (ATI, Nvidia, Mac, PC, Linux, etc)?

Then look at overall cost of ownership. When you buy from Dell, Apple, IBM, Asus, etc you get warranty and support through one company. When you build your own, you support it yourself. Try to paint a picture of overall cost of ownership.

If you are writing a FAQ like this, most users that will benefit it aren't looking to build their own. If they are, then a build your own DIY article would be better than a budget PC. I mean hardware changes in both technology and in price weekly sometimes. I mean are you going to break down the fact that new processors have built in memory controllers now? So they can directly access system memory, and the differences between back when we had separate memory controllers? Hardware changes so much and so fast I say let the tech magazines deal with that.

If you want an ever lasting article, write is a frame work of how to qualify the customer rather than go out and just build them a budget PC.

Just my 2 cents is all.

lucasbytegenius

Update on my "Speeding up OS Installation" tech guide:
I have decided to rewrite it and rename it to "How to install from a flash drive" due to complications in trying to get it to work from a hard disk. I will include support for Windows 7, Mac OS X, and I have found a utility for Windows so that some major Linux distributions can be placed on a flash drive.
I still lack a utility to put Windows XP on a flash drive, I'm probably going to make a thread asking about it later, unless someone can suggest one to me in here.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member

It would be great if you could expand that into a general troubleshooting guide. Sometimes you'll get multiple stop errors for the same issue. If i get a blue screen, I'll go through the same troubleshooting steps (check RAM, cables, effed up drivers, high temps, high clocks, etc..) regardless of the error itself.

Yeah, doesn't matter who does it, the budget recommendations need to be updated.
I could do bi-weekly, that wouldn't be too much hassle
By build guide, do you mean how to build a computer, like OMEGAs?

Bi-weekly would be fine. No, I mean an update to Praetor's guide. A general recommended build list. It should be really easy for those of you that check newegg on a daily basis. I used to be that guy back in 2007-2008 but no longer have the time and sorta lost interest.

Just my 2 cents is all.

We get plenty of "new build" threads, and while we want content (new posts and new threads) in the forum, it would be more efficient if a user could check a well written guide before creating a new thread with the same questions. After a quick glance at the desktop computers section, I see 5 build related threads that may have been solved with an updated guide.

I have decided to rewrite it and rename it to "How to install from a flash drive" due to complications in trying to get it to work from a hard disk. I will include support for Windows 7, Mac OS X, and I have found a utility for Windows so that some major Linux distributions can be placed on a flash drive.

I like it.

fastdude

Progress report: Guide pretty much complete, what every PC would ideally be used for, and prices, now all I need is the actual list of parts...
BTW, atm the guide is in GBP, I would write the dollars/euros alongside it, I'd update the conversion rate every other day

lucasbytegenius

Here's a status update on mine: Just finished the Windows section, working on the Mac section now. Also, I have a question. Since the Windows section is mostly command-line, do you think we need screenshots? I'll do them if you want, but I just don't see the point.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Suggestion. Make a separate sub forum for all guides currently being worked on and completed guides. IMHO it'll help the whole tech guide process go a lot smoother and give it more deserved attention. Right now it's hard to keep track of who's working on what thread, especially when they get buried deeper and deeper in their respective forums.

lucasbytegenius

I also think that we should have a central guides forum, not just guides posted all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I think we should have the guides in appropriate sections, but I think we should have a copy in the Guides forum if made. We could put the Submissions subforum in there as well. Locking down the Guides forum to keep members from posting threads and posts would also help the moderators, so they don't have to be continuously locking down threads.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
I just had a brainwave. We don't even have a power supply sticky or thread in the proper section!

I will gladly volunteer to do another guide unless someone more knowledgeable wishes to do so :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I just had a brainwave. We don't even have a power supply sticky or thread in the proper section!

I will gladly volunteer to do another guide unless someone more knowledgeable wishes to do so :)

Ceewi1 has some good threads in the PSU announcement section. They could use an update though. Feel free to get started; you'll receive full credit for your work.

linkin

VIP Member
What should I focus on for the next guide then: How powersupplies work or a guide to choosing a good powersupply based on the internals?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
What should I focus on for the next guide then: How powersupplies work or a guide to choosing a good powersupply based on the internals?

I'd really like an update on the current guides. Particuarly the PSU requirement thread. PM me if you wanna discuss that further. I've a few ideas.