Computer Freezing

hollis098

Hello everyone, i was woundering if their is anyone out there who can help my computer not freezing, it would be great if someone can. :)

Here are the 3 wats that my computer freezes;
-The computer freezes, then I have to restart the computer
-The computer restarts by its self
-The speackers crackle and then restarts or if i exit the program it restarts

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
even without knowing the system specs the 2 caused I think of right away are overheating and psu failure. more information about specs and what prog your trying to run would help

ZER0X

VIP Member
Hollis's specs....as I know em are....

AMD Athlon 2.1GHz
512MB
GeForce 4 64mb
80GB Harddrive

OS... Win XP Home

4W4K3

VIP Member
My gf's rig has the same problem:

Can run at looad for 24hrs without crashing, but the second you leave it idle and walk out of the room....frozen.
Can pass super_pi and memtest86, but freezes when running Paint or IE6.
It never bluescreens or just reboots, it just freezes. It's not a heat issue either...runs pretty cool.

Could this be RAM issue or PSU? I think this might be his problem too.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
it starts up without freezing so I don't see a reason for it to be RAM, with what we've been given my money's on a PSU problem, but those AthlonXPs weren't really known for running cool

4W4K3

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
but those AthlonXPs weren't really known for running cool

well that all depends on the cooling you have purcahsed. i got on that runs idle 65C 1.625v, and another that can do 28C 1.75v. It's all dependent on cooling...i never say "my chip gets hot", rather "my cooling sucks" lol.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
4W4K3 said:
well that all depends on the cooling you have purcahsed. i got on that runs idle 65C 1.625v, and another that can do 28C 1.75v. It's all dependent on cooling...i never say "my chip gets hot", rather "my cooling sucks" lol.
the chip is hot regardless of cooling, effective cooling doesn't change the heat the chip gives off

GigaBytez5

My pc used to do that, it turned out to be that my cooling system broke and the processor just kept stopping, then going until one day it completely fried to a hot piece of expensive worthless metal...

4W4K3

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
the chip is hot regardless of cooling, effective cooling doesn't change the heat the chip gives off

mine's not, and it's an Athlon XP. it will run cooler than alot of P4 setups at the same voltage. i don't see how that is hotter?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
your chip creates just as much heat, but you have good cooling so it is running cooler. Regardless of how cool it is running, it still dissapates up to 60W (for stock clocking of a AthlonXP-M 2600+, which according to your profile you have). A P4-M at 2.1GHz dissapates 21W, they don't come clocked much higher, but any P4 not based on the prescott core will run very cool with the stock hsf and the lga775 prescotts run very cool until you get up around 3.5Ghz, but they dissapate in excess of 84W.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
your chip creates just as much heat, but you have good cooling so it is running cooler. Regardless of how cool it is running, it still dissapates up to 60W (for stock clocking of a AthlonXP-M 2600+, which according to your profile you have). A P4-M at 2.1GHz dissapates 21W, they don't come clocked much higher, but any P4 not based on the prescott core will run very cool with the stock hsf and the lga775 prescotts run very cool until you get up around 3.5Ghz, but they dissapate in excess of 84W.

i have a $30 heatsink and a lil' 20CFM fan (coolermaster aero7+)...i wouldn't call that "good" lol. just average. running 28C (best idle temp so far)...what does that compute to in watts?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
my prescott runs 28-29C idle as well, on stock cooling, that doesn't change the 84W dissapation under load. What's your processor run under load? it equates to 60W dissapation weather its 60C or 35C

4W4K3

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
my prescott runs 28-29C idle as well, on stock cooling, that doesn't change the 84W dissapation under load. What's your processor run under load? it equates to 60W dissapation weather its 60C or 35C

under load it runs ~45C @ 1.75v. Running stock voltage (1.45v) i dont think it will get higher than 38C.

So the output watts don't change no matter what? I thought they varied depending on CPU intensity (idle, load). Didn't know that...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it starts up without freezing so I don't see a reason for it to be RAM
If the BIOS skips the extended memory test you'll not no definitively (even still we might not know). Consider a 512MB module with a short circuit at say the 200MB mark. It will start to boot and then fail horribly. To the user (who doesnt have the chronological capacity to discern between fail at 200MB and fail at 0MB its the same)

well that all depends on the cooling you have purcahsed. I got on that runs idle 65C 1.625v, and another that can do 28C 1.75v. It's all dependent on cooling...i never say "my chip gets hot", rather "my cooling sucks" lol.
When a generically comparative statement like "AthlonXPs run hot" is given ... exceptional cooling systems cant be compared against stock cooling.

mine's not, and it's an Athlon XP. it will run cooler than alot of P4 setups at the same voltage. I don't see how that is hotter?
Because it is.running hot.

what does that compute to in watts?
It doesnt "compute" because there isnt a direct relationship betweern final operating temperature to ... yeah.G A thermal probe will help :)

So the output watts don't change no matter what?
Watts can measure electricity and heat, measuring the former is a bit easier

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
When a generically comparative statement like "AthlonXPs run hot" is given ... exceptional cooling systems cant be compared against stock cooling.

but im not on an "exceptioanlly good" air cooling, the fan i'm using is about the same CFM's as the stock green one, and the heatsink is just a step above (it's copper, besides that almost 100% same design in the build). maybe by "exceptional" you meant "better" but it sounds more like "really good" and my cooling is far from that lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but im not on an "exceptioanlly good" air cooling, the fan i'm using is about the same CFM's as the stock green one, and the heatsink is just a step above (it's copper, besides that almost 100% same design in the build). maybe by "exceptional" you meant "better" but it sounds more like "really good" and my cooling is far from that lol.
It doesnt matter what exceptionally good means ... the whole point of my comment there is that you can only compare between same setups, changing things here and there kinda make comparisons useless.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
It doesnt matter what exceptionally good means ... the whole point of my comment there is that you can only compare between same setups, changing things here and there kinda make comparisons useless.

thats what i said earlier, gotta compare SAME heatsink, voltage, all that. but since HSF's are different socket types it's impossible to use the SAME one on 2 diff setups. kinda uncomparable (sp?)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes yes, (progress! :p) But then you said
mine's not, and it's an Athlon XP. it will run cooler than alot of P4 setups at the same voltage. I don't see how that is hotter?
Which is, at the least, too broad of a comparison. :)