Computer occasionally overheats

Greg J.

VIP Member
Here is the situation: Every couple of weeks, my computer will overheat to around 61 degrees Celcius. I have been monitoring it with SpeedFan and the temperature is normally 23 to 25 degrees but has been running in the thrities, as much as 40 on daily long use.

The history behind the original overheat was that the original CPU fan ball bearings were worn and slipping, thus the fan sometimes stopped running. Since I could not find a new fan (simply held to the heatsink by four screws) after much searching, I bought a new, official Intel Socket 478 heatsink and fan from a licensed computer repair shop.

I took the new Intel kit home and could not loosen the CPU from the old heatsink. In the end, the CPU was pulled out of the socket because a thick layer of thermal epoxy from the factory would not budge. I didn't want to risk damaging the CPU (had already bent a pin and broke one of the two retention bracket pieces, ), so I had the people at the computer shop install it (buy a part from them, get free installation) with a new bracket piece and new thermal compound for the new heatsink and fan set, everything turned out great. The system once again ran at 23 to 25 degrees Celcius. Now it occasionally overheats and the system runs very slow.

I currently have a floor fan behind the case to blow air into it. The computer is running at a steady temperature of about 36 degrees.

I have a screenshot of SpeedFan and fairly normal temps. The only thing that isn't working correctly is the CPU fan. It throttles from about 2300 rpm to 2790 rpm. The power supply voltages read normal and do not fluctuate more than .03 of a volt.

I asked about a factory warrenty in the computer repair shop for the new HSF (total event happened two months ago over the course of two days), but there is no factory warrenty.

To solve this problem, the only logical solutions that I can come up with are that: 1. I need to install a case fan 2. I need to get a power supply that can move more air, 3. The retention brackets aren't installed precisely 4. I should bring the computer back to the shop to have them look at it 5. The wires inside my computer case are messy and need to be organized.

As of now, I will continue to run SpeedFan, reduced into the system tray, to keep an eye on the temperature. I would like to know if there is anything else that I can do to improve the temperature. I have been trying to buy the best micro-ATX power supply out there to expand the amount of components and to move more air, but to no avail.

If someone could give me a few suggestions on the temperature issue and point me to the best 24-pin Intel-based power supply out there, I will be very relieved because my family will be able to use this computer for the next four years as replacing parts is cheaper than buying a whole new system. Everything else about the computer runs with no problems or errors.

speedfan0723449.jpg

Last edited:

vaiopup

Perhaps you could replace your existing fans with higher CFM ones that can shift more air???

A better HSF would lower temps too.

Regarding power supplies a midrange supply from one of the top tier manufacturers (Antec/Enermax/Tagan/Seasonic) should do the job nicely.

"I currently have a floor fan behind the case to blow air into it. The computer is running at a steady temperature of about 36 degrees."

If I read that correctly you are pushing air towards your exhaust fans which is making it harder for the warm air to escape from your case.
If you use the fan it would be better sending cool air towards the front of your case.

Tidying up the wiring is also a good idea to avoid impeding the airflow.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Yes, I realize that. I will now open the case and remove the front bezel and place the fan in front. From there I will continue to monitor the temperature to see if there is an improvement. Since the Gateway case is cramped, I may have to go with a similar profile heatsink as anything wider or taller will not fit (CPU is right next to the external profile power supply fan on the bottom.

I will continue my search for a PSU.

Tinygn0me

screen

give us a scree shot of inside case showing the air flow that will help alot

1. clean dust
2. Check airflow
3. i will think of something later

Greg J.

VIP Member
100_0027.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0018.jpg

100_0020.jpg

The brightness and contrast of these images have been modified in Photoshop for more detailed viewing due to low light. The photos have been reduced to 30% in size. Only the power supply and CPU have fans.

Last edited:

Tinygn0me

there

ok yea so what we need to do here is get some fans

first get a really nice one like a 4000 RPM or something like that

and stick it on the back there

then make sure its going the right way it shuold be sucking air out...this might get rid of that clunky fan there also if you want to have some real fun you can cut out a square on the fron bottom and stick a fan there sucking air in

so

( Top of case )
( )
( )
( )
( )
\ ( )
\ (______ (HDD) )
\ ( | ) ____ \( Fan | \ )
/( | \ )
/ (______ \ \ |____ )
/ ( \ \ | )
/ ( -------------------------------------_ | FAN )
/ ( / / / |____ )
( Bottom of case )

any way

atm you have air coming in.....and not being sucked out real well

so to get rid of that annoying fan in front you need to install one fan in back and jimmy-rig one in the front

GL

(dont worry jimmy-riging is fun)

Tinygn0me

or even for the bottom i jsut noticed you might be able to just stab so holed and stick a fan there all lose (sounds bad but i works for mine)

or i can explain how best to make your own fan thing there if you want

ChrisDVD

ok, their is something i don't get here.....why is your case fan blowing on your PSU? i mena, i think you should have a fan blowing out, it would be good for getting warm air out.

btw, tinygn0me, please don't double post (or triple post), must people don't like that. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Buying some case fans should drastically lower the temps inside.

And where did you come up with 4000RPM's? I have a 2000RPM 120mm fan that blows out 80CFM, and it's as loud as a jet. I don't think they make fans that spin that fast.

Greg J.

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-] said:
Buying some case fans should drastically lower the temps inside.

And where did you come up with 4000RPM's? I have a 2000RPM 120mm fan that blows out 80CFM, and it's as loud as a jet. I don't think they make fans that spin that fast.

Since I check-marked the "Automatic Fan Speed" option inside the SpeedFan program, the fan reads as running at a bit over 2500 rpm. This seems to be reducing the heat problem a little bit as the fan is now forced to run at default maximum with little throttling. The program might be exaggerating the reading slightly.

SpeedFan7-25--934pm.jpg

As of 7/25/06; 9:34 P.M.

I will soon vacuum out the computer case. After that, I will continue to monitor the temperature to see if there is a significant difference.

Last edited:

Tinygn0me

Greg J. said:
Since I check-marked the "Automatic Fan Speed" option inside the SpeedFan program, the fan reads as running at a bit over 2500 rpm. This seems to be reducing the heat problem a little bit as the fan is now forced to run at default maximum with little throttling. The program might be exaggerating the reading slightly.

SpeedFan7-25--934pm.jpg

As of 7/25/06; 9:34 P.M.

I will soon vacuum out the computer case. After that, I will continue to monitor the temperature to see if there is a significant difference.

bye that cast fan and have it blow out air in the back...its easy to install you already got the side open then jsut screw it in.......and yea only vacuum out the inside if its dusty......and DONT use a normal vacuum.....(has small EMP paluses and to muhc sucking power can rip tiny peicies off of stuff) GL