Computer repeatedly shuts down, blue screen appears

Chris-H

Hello,

I'm a new member, recently joined. Computer shuts down then it re-boots itself suddenly. I have run anti-virus scans and all scans come up clean. A blue screen appears with technical information. The message says,
"STOP: 0X0000007E [0XC0000005, 0X81CC0134, 0X89F279C8, 0X89F276C4]"

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Chris

IBM_nut

if you know anyone with a linux pc or a mac see if they will put the drive in and save your files then wipe the system dry. you can also dual boot linux ubuntu and save your files via the filesystem in the places tab. after that remove all partitions in windows and then have yourself a merry old time restarting windows fresh.

Chris-H

Re: "if you know anyone with a linux pc or a mac see if they will put the drive in and save your files then wipe the system dry. you can also dual boot linux ubuntu and save your files via the filesystem in the places tab. after that remove all partitions in windows and then have yourself a merry old time restarting windows fresh."

Hello,

I don't know anybody who has a linux pc and/or a mac. If it's not too much trouble, can you explain to me what does the error message mean that I saw on the blue screen?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Usually problems like this are software related. At times hardware, but more commonly software. Could you get more of what the screen says? Specifically if it specifies any files that caused the problem.

And don't bash vista. As much as I hate to say it, my Dell laptop has yet to blue screen while running Vista Business... *gasp* But there's still much to hate about Vista, which is why XP is on my desktop :p

douche

Is it a desktop or laptop? We need to know the software on that thing, too. Either way, Usually BSODs amount to faulty hardware, or in Vista's case, poorly written drivers. You can download Knoppix or another live linux CD and boot up your PC to save it's data to an external drive, online, or other storage medium.

Chris-H

My system is a desktop Dell Dimension 9200, Intel Core(TM)2 CPU 1.86 GHz, 2.00 GB, Vista Business 32-bit.

Chris-H

Hello,

My system is a desktop Dell Dimension 9200, Intel Core(TM)2 CPU 1.86 GHz, 2.00 GB, Vista Business 32-bit. Is there any other information that you require?

Thank you,
Chris

Aastii

VIP Member
have you recently installed or uninstalled any software?

Have you changed any hardware?

and douche, stop having a go at vista!!

=EDIT=

I see you asked what the message means. Well a blue screen, a blue screen of death is what it is known as, abbreviated to BSOD is when windows does a memory dump. Everything on your screen now is stored in the computer's memory while you look at it. You click on another page on the internet and page you are on before is no longe rin the memory, the new one is. So, when you get a BSOD, everything currently in the memory, all the programs, all the stuff in the background, even windows, is wiped (dumped) and the system restarted.

Now, this can happen for several reasons and the message you got is a stop message, all BSODs have one and each one referes to a problem, it is a code for the problem. To get a better idea of the problem and the cause you will also see at the BSOD near the tope it will say your system has had an error blah de blah de blah and under that will be in block capitals a message such as MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or PAGE_ERROR_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA or something similar. If you can find that out, then post that, it is easier to work the problem out from that than from the stop message

Last edited:

bengal85

if you know anyone with a linux pc or a mac see if they will put the drive in and save your files then wipe the system dry. you can also dual boot linux ubuntu and save your files via the filesystem in the places tab. after that remove all partitions in windows and then have yourself a merry old time restarting windows fresh.

yeah so this linux cds are free to obtain as well making it very easy to do

Chris-H

=EDIT=

I see you asked what the message means. Well a blue screen, a blue screen of death is what it is known as, abbreviated to BSOD is when windows does a memory dump. Everything on your screen now is stored in the computer's memory while you look at it. You click on another page on the internet and page you are on before is no longe rin the memory, the new one is. So, when you get a BSOD, everything currently in the memory, all the programs, all the stuff in the background, even windows, is wiped (dumped) and the system restarted.

Now, this can happen for several reasons and the message you got is a stop message, all BSODs have one and each one referes to a problem, it is a code for the problem. To get a better idea of the problem and the cause you will also see at the BSOD near the tope it will say your system has had an error blah de blah de blah and under that will be in block capitals a message such as MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or PAGE_ERROR_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA or something similar. If you can find that out, then post that, it is easier to work the problem out from that than from the stop message

Hello Aasti,

Thanks for getting back to me. This is what it says on the Blue Screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Error Screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop Message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

STOP: OXOOOOOO7E [OXCOOOOOO5, OX81CDD134, OX8A5E59C8,
OX8A5E56C4]

Thank you,
Chris

Chris-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aastii

=EDIT=

Hello Aasti,

Thanks for getting back to me. This is what it says on the Blue Screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Error Screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop Message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

STOP: OXOOOOOO7E [OXCOOOOOO5, OX81CDD134, OX8A5E59C8,
OX8A5E56C4]

Thank you,
Chris

Hi,

I didn't know which part of the Blue Screen message that you'd wanted me to post, so I'd posted the full message. I hope that's okay.

Thank you
Chris

Chris-H

Thanks dak1b for the reply. I tried to restore but to no avail. I have also re-installed it with Windows Business Vista CD but I still get the Blue Screen of Death.