Computer Tips Of The Day

lucasbytegenius

To enable amazing special graphical effects in Ubuntu, get the CompizConfig app from the Software Center. You can enable features similar to Aero Peek in Windows 7 and many other very fun pieces of eye candy.

There. I have breathed life back into my thread. Hopefully it will live for a while longer.

hyperfire

@fastdude
That's old and they disabled it in my school, i believe. "they" seem to do a lot of things. If you're looking to annoy non-tech-savvy teachers then notepad is your best friend. Something simple so you can do it quickly like:

do
msgbox("uh oh")
loop

Save it as .vbs

fastdude

@fastdude
That's old and they disabled it in my school, i believe. "they" seem to do a lot of things. If you're looking to annoy non-tech-savvy teachers then notepad is your best friend. Something simple so you can do it quickly like:

do
msgbox("uh oh")
loop

Save it as .vbs

do
msgbox("look to your left")
msgbox("no, your other left")
loop

CrayonMuncher

PM me as well? What am i missing?

PM me aswell if you could be so kind.

I just read through all this and no-one added this, i made a thread on it a while back.

Windows 7 God Mode

Make a new folder and call it
"GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"

Press enter and wait then double click on the control panel icon.

On another note a funny prank is to take a screen shot of your desktop then set it as the background and delete all the icons and see if it fools anyone :)

hyperfire

msgbox("look to your left")
msgbox("no, your other left")

i believe this is an extract from one of our facebook conversations. Anything with a messagebox loop is going to be funny. Or just write a script that opens IE and every 20 seconds sends you to bing. Change the icon and if they are using IE, switch their desktop icon and your script around.

fastdude

i believe this is an extract from one of our facebook conversations. Anything with a messagebox loop is going to be funny. Or just write a script that opens IE and every 20 seconds sends you to bing. Change the icon and if they are using IE, switch their desktop icon and your script around.

You think I haven't tried all of the above...?

Let's get back to tips that actually serve a practical purpose. :D

hyperfire

I know you've tried them, i remember sending you little scripts for them over facebook. You are right lets get back to useful stuff.

ROFLcopter

Viewing properties of an icon:
Hold Alt and double click an icon (Works for XP and will probably work for other versions)

lucasbytegenius

You think I haven't tried all of the above...?

Let's get back to tips that actually serve a practical purpose. :D

I liked those scripts :D
Why don't you go start a thread where people can list their small scripts.

Tip: To acces media controls on your iPod touch running iOS 4, tap the home button twice and swipe right on the bottom of the screen.

lucasbytegenius

Tip: To add a processor usage monitor to the GNOME bar in Ubuntu (and possibly a few other distributions with GNOME) right-click on it and click "Add to Panel...". Scroll down the list (make sure to add the eyes-very fun :D) and click "System Monitor" and click "Add". To add monitors for RAM, network, swap space, load, and hard disk activity and usage, right click on the graph on the GNOME bar and click "Preferences".

fastdude

this is an epic vb script :D

Not really, just a standard caps lock prank one, haha
There should be a separate thread for little scripts like these, agreed.

Windows 7 comes with speech recognition, type "speech" into the search bar to access it. Be sure to "train" your PC to recognize your voice better :good:

salvage-this

You can set a sleep timer in Ubuntu by entering

sudo shutdown -h +30

That will shut it down for halt (power off and everything) in 30 min. You can have any number of minutes after the +

chibicitiberiu

You can set a sleep timer in Ubuntu by entering

sudo shutdown -h +30

That will shut it down for halt (power off and everything) in 30 min. You can have any number of minutes after the +

Windows has one such command too:

shutdown -t 30 -s for 30 seconds. To see a full list of parameters, in simply type in cmd shutdown .

windows xp tips: Press CTRL+ALT+DEL a couple of times at the login screen to change to classic login. Useful when you want to log in as a hidden user, or administrator.

(This may work on all windows versions that support task grouping, including windows vista, but not sure. The windows 7 taskbar is another beast, it doesn't work on my computer with Aero enabled). Hold CTRL to select multiple tasks in the taskbar.

Ubuntu users: to get some really cool animations, and additional features to the interface, type in the console:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
You should now find in the Preferences menu, something like "Compiz settings". You can set up many animations, useful keyboard shortcuts, the DesktopCube and many other cool stuff.

In windows 7, you can reorder tasks and notification icons in the taskbar.

In the windows 7 explorer, if you set the view to "Details", every column has a down arrow near it. That is where you can set up filters, so in a folder that has many files, you can use filters to hide some of them.

In most operating systems, in the list view "Details" you can double click the bar between two columns to resize it so that all the content fits. It also works in Excel.

To open a file in a specific program, for example an .avi in a player that is not the default one, you can drag and drop the file over the executable/shortcut of the application.

Last edited: