Computer Tips Of The Day

lucasbytegenius

To zoom in or out in just about any browser, hold down Ctrl and scroll with the scroll wheel on your mouse. An alternate is Ctrl + - to zoom out, Ctrl + + to zoom in.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Here's one:

If you suspect your hard drive is in bad shape, take a flathead screwdriver, push it down ontop of the HDD and put your ear on the handle. You should be able to hear the platters spinning.
If it's a low, even, hummung noise your hard drive is okay.

If it's clicking, or spinning unevenly, it's not okay. Back up your data if you can, take out the drive, place it in an antistatic bag, seal it, and freeze it over night. Then let it return to room temp, plug it in.

Use the same trick and see if the bearings are still making noise.

hsetima

Thought I'd make a thread where you can show off that brilliant tip that's too small to make a thread about. We all get these sometimes:)
Mine is the sfc /scannow command. Type it into the Start Menu and press enter. It will scan your Windows installation for missing or corrupted system files and replace them, saving you a reinstall and fixing issues after a bad virus. In WinXP, insert a WinXP CD with the same version of your installation and open Run and type the command.

-The Lucas

Will it work the same way in vista

DETNSWDER

banned
Ive been busy with Remote Desktop in windows.

ive found that my router will not accept the 192.168.0.123 address. i had it on 192.....0.5 and there was a clash

Rocko

I think its a silly feature, but in Win 7, if you grab a window and shake it, all other open windows will minimize leaving only the window you are shaking.

fastdude

Especially with laptop trackpads. I must say I am addicted to Windows Aero, however. Sometimes I open and close windows just for the fun of it:D

vnsmith

banned
same here.. enjoyed playing with it.. :)

I like using all keyboard short cuts.. easier than using a mouse.. :)

Last edited: