Computer too loud

Alex G

Hello,

I recently just built a PC and the thing runs very nicely. The only complaint I have about it is the NOISE. It sounds like a sports car engine. I'm no sure if it has anything to do with the fans I use, the case, or the if I installed something wrong while building it? Also, should I use positive or negative air flow? I have 3 Case fans.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First, you need to find out what exactly is causing the noise. If its a fan, then find out what fan it is. Can you give us a list of your parts?

Alex G

First, you need to find out what exactly is causing the noise. If its a fan, then find out what fan it is. Can you give us a list of your parts?
yeah, I have two Kingwin 120mm fans and one 120mm corsair case fan that came with the case. The Kingwins were pretty cheap, so it could be the quality of the fan. I don't really care about the noise, I just want to make sure something isn't overworking itself or overheating. The other parts consist of:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 100R
PSU: EVGA Bronze 600 watt
GPU: Zotac geforce GTX 960 4 GB
CPU: AMD FX 8350
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A motherboard
RAM: Ballistix 8 GB DDR3

Darren

Staff member
Run HWMonitor and check your temperatures.

Is it doing it constantly or just when gaming or doing demanding tasks? If it's constant I'd guess you've got something hitting a fan like a loose cable or something like that. If it's just under load I'd bet money that your CPU cooler is just going like a jet engine. Those stock AMD coolers are terrible. I used to be able to hear my brother's 8320 fan that was down the hall in his room louder than my whole machine sitting next to me. They're terrible.

Alex G

Run HWMonitor and check your temperatures.

Is it doing it constantly or just when gaming or doing demanding tasks? If it's constant I'd guess you've got something hitting a fan like a loose cable or something like that. If it's just under load I'd bet money that your CPU cooler is just going like a jet engine. Those stock AMD coolers are terrible. I used to be able to hear my brother's 8320 fan that was down the hall in his room louder than my whole machine sitting next to me. They're terrible.
Are they terrible in a sense that they are just loud? Or terrible in which they don't work properly? And it doesn't sound like the fans are hitting anything. It sounds like they are speeding up and slowing down constantly.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Speeding up and slowing down sounds like a cpu fan. Are you using the stock cpu fan or an aftermarket cooler? Heat sink on the cpu correctly?

C4C

It's a stock cooler. Could that be it?

Normally is because they're not built to be quiet.

EDIT: My little brother's FX-6300 sounds like a jet engine when playing BF4 and CS:GO and it still has the stock cooler.

Guessing these temps are at idle, so when under load it most likely is the CPU cooler. Getting a large aftermarket cooler would help, such as the Hyper 212, but your case may or may not have enough space for it

Last edited:

Alex G

Normally is because they're not built to be quiet.

Guessing these temps are at idle, so when under load it most likely is the CPU cooler. Getting a large aftermarket cooler would help, such as the Hyper 212, but your case may or may not have enough space for it
okay, thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What game? You really don't want to go much above 60 degrees Celcius for an extended period of time.

C4C

Don't use Prime95 on AMD chips. They get unstable even at stock clocks and WAY too hot.

Good to know.. Would explain why my last build kept shutting down when I tried to do stability tests with it. Thanks Darren :oops:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I know I had an issue with prime 95 and my 8350. Wasn't the temps though, it was weird readings. Had to remove overclock when I upgraded to 10 due to blue screens and haven't had time to redo it.