Computer totally f'ed

jonnyp11

if you've seen my other post then this is a different one, and different computer.

A couple days ago my computer began to randomly shut down every once and a while, but i thought it might be overheating so i stopped oc'ing it and i thought it was fine, but the a day later it randomly shut down again. Then when i tried to turn it on it just put the fan all the way up and never actually turned on. It did this 2 or 3 times b4 working, but then it was fine for the rest of the day until i turned it off. Now today when i went out to use it i hit the power and it did the weird fan thing like ten times b4 working, then once it was loaded it was only on for like 5min from power button to shutting itself off, maybe even less. this and the fan repeated multiple times even when i loaded into safe mode and i believe that it isn't turning on the fan cuz i can't here anything but the hdd a little, and that's with my ear right beside it, but i don't remember if it was like that b4 so idk. Can someone please help so that my dad doesn't kill me, thnx, Jonathan.

p.s. it's an e machine so the bios are inaccessible, i have tried and there is no way to get in. And i posted here since do to the fan thing it makes me think it has something to do with the motherboard but idk.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

and i think this started b4 this but i'm not sure, but i installed windows 7 sp1 a couple days afo, and my dad's obsessed with saying alot of it is steam since norton said 2 high risk files originated from steam.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It can't be a software problem if it refuses to start up. And as for the bios, you should be able to access it, just not change many things inside it. Have you tried unplugging and replugging in the main power cables?

jonnyp11

FIXED

Dad looked at it and b4 running a system restore found something he said fixed it but couldn't remember what it was, now i have nvidia system monitor running so i can always monitor the temps and loads on the cpu and ram

Perkomate

norton throws up a lot of false positive errors. if you need a good paid antivirus Kaspersky is pretty good.

jonnyp11

Well it came with comcast i think so it's free and other than that it works fine, he thinks gaming causes all the computers problems even though i have explained how millions use steam and origin/ea download manager, but he still hates games on this, one of the many reasons i'm working on a build, and the problems come from occassional downloads of mods which i allways forget to scan one or two files, and norton gets false positives when something acts like a virus, they don't really update files that act like but aren't them, but otherwise it has many good feature like the community thing for downloads where it tells you the risk from the number of downloads from others and if they have had problems and how old the file is.

NDSUTopGun

Ditch anything that you have to pay for and get AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials. I stopped pitching $60 to Norton on an annual basis and got myself some MSE when my subscription expired.

jonnyp11

Ditch anything that you have to pay for and get AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials. I stopped pitching $60 to Norton on an annual basis and got myself some MSE when my subscription expired.

well if you read the first couple words you'd have seen that it came with comcast and as far as i know it's free, if that's wrong then tell me, but i'm not the one paying the bills so i don't know and i'm sure my dad would love to save some money since he broke

jonnyp11

Unsolved

ran fine for a few hours then i shut it down to go to bed, woke up and turned it on and after an hour on it started again, my dad opened it and sprayed the fan and surrounding area with an air can, then it's been running since and that was around 11:45, and it's 3:15 now, and i had told him to do that cuz i read that dust can screw it up the same as the fan not being on so it cuts to prevent overheating and serious damage.

jonnyp11

Can someone helP, this is the only good computer I have access to, now posting from brothers iPod and really want to be able to check all my bookmarks as in email newegg forums and some other stuff, amazing how much people complain about typing on these since I only messed up twice now and I have very large thumbs.

oh yeah, and for some reason resetting the backup power supply thing for when the power cuts so you can safely turn everything off seems to help if not fix the problem, and my dad said he had similar problems when his backup was failing, minus the fan going full with no cpu on some boots.

Last edited:

Perkomate

possible power supply maybe? take the PSU out of it and try it in another computer. also, see if you can try the backup power supply in another computer.
Also, try get a different PSU and put it in your computer to see if that works.

jonnyp11

well i'v got a 500w in this computer now, different one, but it isn't being used by anything, got it on sale for my build but i don't have anything that needs it and i can take it out, and if it starts again tomarow i can take the backup off, but the strange part that makes me think it isn't it although it seems to affect it is that the monitor, speakers, and lamp are on it too and possibly more but it's been there without this happening for years.

jonnyp11

did it again today and second try i just reset my ups and it worked, it has a screen with problem icons but none are up, shows if needs new battery, fault, and 2 others, but when i hold volume off all light up and all 8's for input, then i hit power on comp and it flashes back and comp works normal, for now.

Perkomate

maybe it's an undiagnosed problem with the UPS. Would you be able to use it without the UPS for a bit, to see if it works?

jonnyp11

will ask dad to try since he doesn't like me doing things to this comp since it's the family comp., but we've got good weather no so it should be fine.

jonnyp11

does anyone in here know how to access the system error logs, don't laugh if its simple or something i just want this to be done with.

Okedokey

Look, can you post full system specs. This is a very inefficient way of determining what is almost certainly a hardware issue.

1. Please download and install PC Wizard from my sig. Run it and go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Then copy the text out of that file into this thread.
  2. Open the side of the computer and note the model and brand of the PSU that you are using. Include that in this thread too.

Also in the meantime do the following:

1. in the Windows Start button search field type cmd
  2. Right click on cmd and run as administrator
  3. type in the command prompt (with space) sfc /scannow
this will ensure the windows secure windows files are in tact.

then..

1. go to my computer and right click on the windows installation disk (usually c: )
  2. go to properties and tools tab
  3. click on checkdisk and schedule a checkdisk on next install.
onces the sfc scannow now has finished, restart and let the computer check the disk (this will take some time)

then restart again tapping F8 as it boots.
select memory diagnostics and let it check the RAM for errors

All going well, go back into Windows and ensure you have the latest updates (MS Updates)

Once we have the full hardware specs we can ensure other issues are not causing this.

Last edited: