Computer under $250

Euklid

55.99 - BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ Socket AM2+ nVidia nForce 430 Geforce 6150
49.99 - AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400, Dual-Core Socket AM2, 2.3Ghz
40.00 - Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800
49.99 - Seagate Barracuda (ST3160815AS) 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s 160GB 8MB Cache (OEM)
39.99 - Corona MicroATX Case with 500watt Power Supply

235.96 + 13% tax = 266.63

You think I can play EVE online on this system? I'm most concerned with the integrated graphics on the AMD motherboard - I couldn't find any fill rate or textile details for the gpu on that motherboard.

Good news is I can always buy a PCI-E card to stick in that mobo.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Play it, yes. With all the bells and whistles, no. You would do better with a dedicated card - even a 9600GT.

How tight do you need to keep to that cost?

Euklid

I was playing on my Dell Laptop: AMD 64 x2 core, 1gb 533mhz ram, ati integrated graphics, 74.4gb hdd. And it was working good enough. The problem I think is that it overheated, and after 8 hours, it kept powering down. One minute I would see the game playing, the next I would see the entire computer shut down.

So really, I am just building a replacement in desktop form, hoping it won't overheat as much.

I don't need anything fast, as long as I get a minimum of 20 FPS on minimum graphics.

Euklid

No. And i found out the fan was clogged with dust - I vacuumed it today, and it pulled up a ton of dirt. So either way - I'm selling the laptop, and I'm building this desktop.

What's the least expensive graphics card that is actually worth buying? It looks like the lower end 9000s get less textiles than an fx 5900

Bodaggit23

I vacuumed it today
Oh dear.

Never use a vacuum to clean the inside of your computer.

Vacuums create static electricity, and we all know what that
does for pc boards.

You should always use compressed air. Vacuuming will never
get all the dust out of heat sinks anyway, besides the risk factor.

yuki953

lolz? did i here what i think i heard? AMD heats faster then intel?

HA i cant stop laughing

btw, may i ask why you are trying to buy a $250 computer solely for EVE online?

Euklid

does for pc boards.

Yeah, it wasn't the inside, I would never open up a laptop. I just stuck the hose on the air holes and it pulled out a couple dust bunnies. Compressed air sounds like a good idea - a good expensive idea. While my vacuum cleaner is right here, ya know... :D

dannaswolcott

Oh dear.

does for pc boards.

Your right on that one.. But I always use a vacuum when I don't want to take out the compressor and it always works fine, I haven't had any problem using it.. But yes its not a very good thing to do at all. The vacuum I use is Very strong, gets out all the dust just fine.

Zatharus

VIP Member
I can't buy from newegg.

What about this website : http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=FN.349&mfg=all&sort=3

Which heatsink+fan is for that AMD cpu?

Thanks

You could use either of the following:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=017218&cid=FN.349

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=016143&cid=FN.349

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020258&cid=FN.349

...just to give you some ideas. The only real difference in whether or not the HSF will work for your socket is in the mounting hardware that comes with it.

Your right on that one.. But I always use a vacuum when I don't want to take out the compressor and it always works fine, I haven't had any problem using it.. But yes its not a very good thing to do at all. The vacuum I use is Very strong, gets out all the dust just fine.

It will work. It's just a risk you take in damaging your equipment...or sucking loosely soldered parts off the boards. ;)

realmike15

using a vacuum directly on your computer is dangerous. i use one, but in a very different way. get a can of compressed air and a vacuum. hold a vacuum turned on near your case but not inside... start blasting the dust with compressed air then grab the floating particles with the vacuum. just don't make contact with the vacuum and the case... bad idea.

dannaswolcott

using a vacuum directly on your computer is dangerous. i use one, but in a very different way. get a can of compressed air and a vacuum. hold a vacuum turned on near your case but not inside... start blasting the dust with compressed air then grab the floating particles with the vacuum. just don't make contact with the vacuum and the case... bad idea.

The vacuum is so strong I never need to touch it to the case.. But thanks for the tip :)