computer update help

Xenon787

would any MHz ddr ram work in any computer?

i have very limited knowledge, thanks for the quick reply tho

that program says that my current memory is 132.9 mhz, do i need to match that?

Last edited:

Xenon787

cheers, will look around.

while am ere, and your ere.

the current dvd drive i have opens , just wont read any disk. anything you would do before i buy a new one?

dave597

VIP Member
a lot of things. by any disk - do u mean cds as well? is it recognised in windows? have u checked the cables?

cant really be specific until you tell me more about your computer specs and the problem.

Xenon787

yeh cds dont work, it just dont recognise them at all, still says its empty. looking at my computer for longer than 2 seconds makes it "not respond".

as i said it opens, so its getting power. another thing is its in a case, and seems to have an extra layer on the front of it, would this make it hard to take out?

dave597

VIP Member
Xenon787 said:
yeh cds dont work, it just dont recognise them at all, still says its empty. looking at my computer for longer than 2 seconds makes it "not respond".
is it recognised in the bios when you start up? its probably dead.

as i said it opens, so its getting power. another thing is its in a case, and seems to have an extra layer on the front of it, would this make it hard to take out?
nope. take the front off first and then the side, i think.

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
would any MHz ddr ram work in any computer?

that program says that my current memory is 132.9 mhz, do i need to match that?

Most likely. It sounds like PC133, unless PC1600 is the same speed, which I don't know.

Dave597 said:
depends on ur processor.
NO!! Motherboard, dude. The motherboard is what supports different types of RAM and CPUs

dave597

VIP Member
Bobo said:
NO!! Motherboard, dude. The motherboard is what supports different types of RAM and CPUs
oh yeh, sorry about that. i meant pc3200 is for a 3.2 ghz processor etc.. but it does depend on the mobo.

Bobo

banned
dave597 said:
i meant pc3200 is for a 3.2 ghz processor etc..
NO it isn't! I have an amd A64 3400 with PC3200, I could run it with 2700, I could run it with 3000, or I could run it with 3500, but it would run at 3200 speed.

dave597

VIP Member
Bobo said:
NO it isn't! I have an amd A64 3400 with PC3200, I could run it with 2700, I could run it with 3000, or I could run it with 3500, but it would run at 3200 speed.
i thought if it was under it would be slower?

Bobo

banned
dave597 said:
i thought if it was under it would be slower?

Well, yeah, if it is under it will run at its given speed, and if it is over, it will run at the max speed supported by the mobo.

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
2.70GHz celeron
80GB hard drive
512MB DDR RAm

i searched for that "PC133 RAM" its all SDR :mad:

Exactly.......

This is strange, I thought you had an older computer that was using SDRAM.....

I THINK that PC1600 is 133 MHZ, but maybe not.

If this is an OEM PC, you could have PC2100, but it might be running slower......just cause OEM does that. So, is it OEM?

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
OEM meaning?

Original Equipment Manufacturer, A.K.A. Prebuilt: HP, Dell, Gateway, etc

That RAM is SD

You also need to find out how much RAM your mobo supports.