computer update help

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
am sorry i dont know,

its e machines 620

AHA!

Do you have both/all the RAM slots filled? If so, it is probably PC2100/166MHZ running at the next lower speed, PC2100/133MHz

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
you saying i should buy a 166 ram DDR??

I really don't know.....Are you SURE that CPUz said 133MHz? That processor seems too fast to be using PC1600, but it might be PC2100. At this point, i don't really have enough info to tell you....

Take out the RAM that you have in there, and post the #s that are on there, I might be able to find out what you have in there, and match it

Xenon787

from what you know of my computer, do you think it will be able to run as well as it does now, and not become to far out of date for another year?

assuming i done buy any more RAM

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
do you think it will be able to run as well as it does now, and not become to far out of date for another year?

assuming i done buy any more RAM

You're saying if you just leave the current 512 in there?

It is not bad, it is probably on the lower end of mid-class comps (rough guesstimate) It all depends on what your definition of "too far out of date" is. It should be fine for another year, but in 2006 there are a bunch of new things coming out with Windows, I would wait till the end of '05, save up your money and get a good 64-bit processor.

Xenon787

cheers, i will keep it as it is and mayby update the RAM later, and buy another mid range PC next year.

still getting that DVD drive tho, any better ones i could get for under £20, in UK?

Bobo

banned
Xenon787 said:
still getting that DVD drive tho, any better ones i could get for under £20, in UK?

DVD-ROM, DVD+/-RW. CD-RW/DVD-ROM, or CD-RW/DVD+/-RW?

Basically, DVD burner, DVD ROM, CD burner/DVD ROM, or CD burner and DVD burner?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Also is this DVD drive ok for playing DVDs?
Yes

would any MHz ddr ram work in any computer?
Unversally, no. To find out the type of memory you currently have use CPUz and then get that speed :)

that program says that my current memory is 132.9 mhz, do I need to match that?
On the tab that you read that off... what does it say for "memory type"? :)

i meant pc3200 is for a 3.2 ghz processor etc
It is? :confused:

i thought if it was under it would be slower?
CPU and RAM are usually independent.

i thought if it was under it would be slower?
It will run slower if you are adding memory to a system that has slower memory than what you're adding

do I need a new dvd drive?
Prolly not

i searched for that "PC133 RAM" its all SDR
Thats because incompetant marketing people have taken over. If you're looking for 133MHZ DDR memory, look for PC2100

.... *holy crap there are a lot of replies* ...

you saying I should buy a 166 ram DDR??
You should buy 133MHz memory