Computer Will Not Access Network

godjunior

Hello people, am a newbie to please bear with me.
Built my first computer yesterday. Works like a charm and went off without a hick except for my NETWORK.
Took my old computer and gave it to son, installed a wireless card into it.
On my new computer I am using the onboard LAN. All this plugged into a LINKSYS wireless router. I can access the internet from both computers that are now connected on the router. MY PROBLEM is!!!! I have run NETWORK SETUP WIZARD on both computers. I have checked that the workgroup names are the same and that the computer names are different. On the old computer I can see the new one when I explore the Network even if I do not have access to it but on the NEW ONE I cannot see the old computer. When I access the Network from the new computer I cannot see anything, it is blank. I tried to run the wizard again but for some reason the settings do not stay. Everytime I make a new Network Connection using the same Workgroup name it just vanishes to god knows where. I managed to send some files from the old computer to a NETWORK SHARED FOLDER on my new computer via the Explore Network but that's as far as I can go!
Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks people and have a great one!
Godjunior

Trizoy

VIP Member
under the networj connection right click and install the ipx/spx protocol (winxp) or the netbeui (win9x)

tractorboy

you do not want ipx/spx, that is for netware and you if you install netbeui, for the xp machine it is not on the network aplet, you have to get it off of the xp cd...and also netbeui is not routable...and you probably will not need either if you are using DHCP on the router.
on the new xp machine you wan to make sure that your windows xp firewall is turned off and that any other firewalls are off also, on both machines.
you also want to make sure you belong to the same work group and you also have to have a folder shared on both PC's. What is the OS of the other pc ?

godjunior

Thanks, I do have this Netbeui installed for some reason that I don't know because this changed some settings in windows. BUT I don't know how to remove it since it is not in the ADD/REMOVE Panel and can not see it in the program files either. As for the workgroup, everything is fine, they both use the same workgroup name but a different computer name. Both computers are running Windows XP but the one with the wireless card doesn't have this NETBEUI on it and with this one I can see my new computer but not the other way around.

How to I remove this NETBEUI thing!

godjunior

Hey am new to scuba diving and love it to bits, especially when I dove in coral reef! WOW.

But back to subject. How do I uninstall this Netbeui thing. Is it part of the NFORCE Firewall that comes on the Asus A8N SLI Motherboard (NVidia chipset) or is it from the Linksys Router??? Can't find it anywhere other than in the Configuration panel and even there I have not other options than to Open it???
Thanks ahead of time

tractorboy

I always wanted to go to the Mediterranian, ever been there ?

depending how you have your start menu
start / settings / network connections
right click on your NIC ( network card ) , select properties
that should open the network card properties box
you should see netbuei, may have to scroll down
do you have xp home or prof ?

godjunior

No I've only been to Mexico where I dove for the first time with PADI and got my beginner cards. Will take course here in Quebec to get my Open Water Diving cards before I return to Mexico in May. Can'T wait!

I have XP PRO. Will try that thing you mentionned for sure. Question. Is this NETBEUI thing that I installed somehow have anything to do with the NFORCE Firewall or the LINKSYS Router. Asking because I have no recollection of installing this thing. Where does it come from, from what program has it been initiated. What will happen if I turn it off, will I still have a Network or will I have to redo the steps to reconnect to my existing network even if it doesn't really work!!!
Thanks for all your help so far!

itman

if you have a mixed environment, it could be the master browser taking over...the newest OS always takes the role of master browser...if it is, then go into services and set the browser service to manual instead of default start and shut both PC's down and reboot, should work fine then...if thats not the problem???

tractorboy

how do you know you have netbuei, to my recollection, it is not installable from XP os, I think it is on the xp cd somewhere. Netbuei is a protocol networking transport. It is small and superfast, faster than tcp/ip. Netbuie does not have an ip address like tcp\ip does, so netbuei can not be routed and usually ( or atleast i have ) can not be used to share network appliances that require an ip address.

Trizoy

VIP Member
net beui and the ipx/spx allow multiple level OS's to see each other on the network... Winxp with win98... They may be what you say also... but they work for this purpose also. Netbeui is incompatible with winxp.

tractorboy

TRIZOY Everything you know about computers seems to be wrong. I suggest you go somewhere and learn something about computers before you give what seem to be made up answers. Your answers are insulting to me and my brothers and sisters who have actually spent A LOT of time and their money learning their trade. Their is nothing wrong with an honest guess or mistake, but your answers appear to the ramblings of someone on drugs or an idiot.

Trizoy

VIP Member
tractorboy said:
TRIZOY Everything you know about computers seems to be wrong. I suggest you go somewhere and learn something about computers before you give what seem to be made up answers. Your answers are insulting to me and my brothers and sisters who have actually spent A LOT of time and their money learning their trade. Their is nothing wrong with an honest guess or mistake, but your answers appear to the ramblings of someone on drugs or an idiot.

Tractorboy before you come into this forum and start throwing threats around at people that have been here more than 100 posts i suggest you gain some respect. This may be a hobby, but i know I have helped A LOT of people, and these are not guesses, as the netbeui has worked severalt times allowing two computers on a network to see each other.... MANY time i have suggested this, and MANY times it has worked. I suggest you go back to your trade, and get some people skills, and maybe a dose of respect.

tractorboy

so you have 100 posts .... I have read your other posts and they do not seem helpful, they seem like guesses by someone that has gleened a little information somewhere without putting in the time to learn the info.
I have never heard of anyone using IPX/SPX for a windows network and you also stated that netbuei is incompatible with windows xp. Both are wrong and I still do not think you know what your are talking about.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Well in the end tractorboy im not here to impress you.. Im here because I enjoy helping people with their problems. If you want to go and antagonize someone because their ideas differs from your own.. go ahead. This may be your professional career, it is not mine... These things I suggest to people are things that I personally have tried, and DO work. I would suggest not being arrogant to people/members in an open forum as thereare higher powers who like to keep it clean.