Computer Will Not Access Network

godjunior

More Info

OK GUYS,

I removed this NETBEUI thing. Can still connect to internet real easy but still can't see other computer. One thing that I noticed is that I have 3 LAN ports open (I have 3 LAN OPENINGS on the mother board) Only one of them is functioning even if it says that the three of them are operational. The one that is working is the one that is plugged into the NVIDIA LAN port (I removed the NVIDIA firewal because it was causing lots of stability problems). So then I tried to create a new network again but for some odd reason it won't keep my workgroup name that I assign to it. It goes through the process of creating it OK but when I go and explore the MicroSoft Servers my WORKGROUP just isn'T there. I tried OVER and OVER but nothing doing, it tells me there is NO WORKGROUP. Why doesn't it stay, am I doing something wrong, can't really go wrong while using the wizard now can I. On the other computer it has stayed but now the otherone won't see mine since I don't have the same workgroup. Man these new computer things are making my neurons work overtime. First SLI now Network! GEEZ.
Thanks for your help guys. OH I forgot to mention. The son's computer has a Wireless card (LINKSYS 801.2g) I am plugged directly to the LINKSYS ROUTER, does this make any difference in the configuration of the systems. Can I connect both if one is using WIRELESS and the other NOT.

tractorboy

The wireless should not make a difference,,,while on that subject do you have encryption set in the router....if not do that AFTER the network gets going.

go to control panel, double click network connections, then right click your network card , then click properties.
You should see tcp\ip , QOS packet share , microsoft client, file and print sharing
highlight tcp/ip, click properties
check to make sure the radio button "obtain ip address auto" is selected and that there is nothing in DNS. < only if you are using DHCP from the router>

Next go back to your network card in network connection, highlight and click on advanced , then network ident...halfway down you will see workgroup...both pc's this will have to match...click change to change on or both.
share a folder on both pc's
make sure the windows xp firewall is off

click start, then in run type ipconfig /all then press enter
what is the node type...usually says hybrid, actually anything but unknown

then type ipconfig /release wait for results
then ipconfig /renew

godjunior

Another Problem

I did as you said and everything seems fine and dandy except for one thing. When I click on MY COMPUTER (PROPERTIES) and then COMPUTER NAME, RENAME THIS COMPUTER and then in the options below I would usually click on the WORKGROUP but for some reason that I don't know I can't click there, it tells me that I have to initiate some NETWORK PROTOCOL thingy. SOrry translating from french Windows Version here. Why can't I go click on the WORKGROUP. I also tried to SEE THE NETWORK but it tells me that it is not initiated or that it didn'T start in the first place. Seems like it doesn't want to start by lack of some function somewhere. I have the administrator rights so that is not a problem. Even the WORKGROUP is there but I cannot access it. Thanks for all the info people.