Configuring my Ubiquiti NanoBeam 5 GHz, 16 dBi airMAX (NBE-5AC-16)

When planning a wireless network you determine how many people would be present at peak times, use the 2-3 device estimate per person, and then you usually use a percentage of that to determine the day-to-day traffic. So if you figure 2 devices per person, with 2 people per trailer, that's 32 potential devices. I'm not sure what sort of percentage you'd use in this exact scenario, but it's good to look at the worst case scenario to plan for capacity in your network.

Yes smartphones can use mobile data, but most people do not have unlimited data, and connect to WiFi whenever possible. If there is WiFi, they will connect their phones to it. Mobile devices are the primary use on residential and educational wireless networks.

Metal is a bad material to try and get wireless through.

It could work if you have an AP mounted next to a trailer, such as every other or every 2 trailers you mount an AP on a pole of some sorts.

Okay.

I will start with that one long-range AP and go from there.

2-3 devices person? I could see 2, but what is 3? If every person in the whole park was on their laptop and phone at the same time, that is 2 per person. But how could a person be on 3 devices at once? Just saying....

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
2-3 devices person? I could see 2, but what is 3? If every person in the whole park was on their laptop and phone at the same time, that is 2 per person. But how could a person be on 3 devices at once? Just saying....
Phone laptop and tablet.

http://www.4netonline.com/ws/produc...-802-11-b-g-n-links-up-to-600-ft-export-only/

Can anyone tell me what type of switch I need to buy along with this on the 4netonline.com site?

Is that it as far as hardware goes?

Someone mentioned a "server,"....

I don't know as much about computers as you guys, but the only definition of "server," that I currently know is software (like Apache).

Also, when I search the 4netonline.com site for "server," nothing comes up.

beers

Staff member
2-3 devices person? I could see 2, but what is 3?
Phone, laptop, tablet, PC or spare pc, gaming console, smart TV, the list goes on and even multiples above.

I think it will be more worthwhile for each resident to manage their own WAN connection in this scenario if you can't even envision usage scenarios.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Someone mentioned a "server,"....
I already told you this.

To control the Ubiquiti access points, there is a piece of software that needs to run on a system (in a corporate environment it would be installed on a server, but any workstation on the network will work). Either that or you use one of the Ubiquiti management nodes that connects to the internet and allows you to manage the AP's from the cloud.

I already told you this.

To control the Ubiquiti access points, there is a piece of software that needs to run on a system (in a corporate environment it would be installed on a server, but any workstation on the network will work). Either that or you use one of the Ubiquiti management nodes that connects to the internet and allows you to manage the AP's from the cloud.

Okay, so I can run this software on the computer that is in the maintenance shed. Perfect! I was just confused as to whether a "server" was a piece of hardware in this case, which I'm glad it's not.

I know more about computers than you guys give me credit for. I know how a processor works with all the transistors and that RAM chips are capacitors, to keep it simple.

Geoff

VIP Member
Okay, so I can run this software on the computer that is in the maintenance shed. Perfect! I was just confused as to whether a "server" was a piece of hardware in this case, which I'm glad it's not.

I know more about computers than you guys give me credit for. I know how a processor works with all the transistors and that RAM chips are capacitors, to keep it simple.
Correct it's not extra hardware that you need, you just install software on any PC that has access to that network, for you to setup, configure, and to manage it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes. That is one of the positives of Ubiquiti. Their controller is not a hundreds or thousands of dollars piece of hardware like Maeru or Meraki.
Most other manufacturers use either hardware controllers, or VM controllers, not just a simply software package ;)

John, if you went with Aruba, Meru, Cisco, Ruckus, or one of the many other wireless vendors you'd be paying thousands of dollars for the controller, and hundreds in annual license fees.

So, in total all the hardware I need to buy is.... the UAP-LR (which I already bought), then a switch to connect it to, and the EdgeRouter?

Why would this EdgeRouter work and the Belkin not work?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You did NOT buy a UAP-LR. You bought a Nanobeam!

Also you'd use an EdgeRouter because it's a PoE router. Whatever belkin POS you'd buy would require you to use a PoE injector.

You did NOT buy a UAP-LR. You bought a Nanobeam!

Also you'd use an EdgeRouter because it's a PoE router. Whatever belkin POS you'd buy would require you to use a PoE injector.

I just bought a UAP-LR yesterday.

Is there a "switch" that I would need or is it just the UAP-LR and the EdgeRouter?

Wasn't there some software you were telling me about? Where do I get that from?

Geoff

VIP Member
I just bought a UAP-LR yesterday.

Is there a "switch" that I would need or is it just the UAP-LR and the EdgeRouter?

Wasn't there some software you were telling me about? Where do I get that from?
The UAP-LR comes with a PoE injector, since it doesn't come with a power adapter. The AP itself only plugs into an ethernet cable.

The reason for suggesting the EdgeRouter was because they have a PoE model which would let you connect multiple APs without the need for an injector, and it has a much more robust feature set. The belkin would work as well, you'd just need to use the injector (included), and you'd have much more limited expand-ability and routing functions.