Confused with speakers

diggidy

Hi, i'm new here to the forum and have to say it's great!

I have a samsung 22" LCD HD monitor in my room, and bought the VGA cable for my xbox360 so I could play it on it. Everything is working great except for the sound...

My problem is I want to be able to play sound for my computer, but when i'm playing my xbox have the sound for that. I'm great with computer but have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to audio.

I bought a LG LFD790 home theater system thinking it could work but have had no luck. Will this work on my computer and my 360? If not could you recommend any other method of getting the sound to work, preferably under 200$?

Lastly, I have a 3-5 year old dell computer will the standard green and blue inputs on the back, but don't know what sound card it has.

Thanks for any help you have to give :D

m0nk3ys1ms

Hi, i'm new here to the forum and have to say it's great!

I have a samsung 22" LCD HD monitor in my room, and bought the VGA cable for my xbox360 so I could play it on it. Everything is working great except for the sound...

My problem is I want to be able to play sound for my computer, but when i'm playing my xbox have the sound for that. I'm great with computer but have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to audio.

I bought a LG LFD790 home theater system thinking it could work but have had no luck. Will this work on my computer and my 360? If not could you recommend any other method of getting the sound to work, preferably under 200$?

Lastly, I have a 3-5 year old dell computer will the standard green and blue inputs on the back, but don't know what sound card it has.

Thanks for any help you have to give :D

You can plug the Xbox audio into the pink input (Microphone) and that should work. Are you wanting a 2.1 system or are you thinking about surround sound?

PunterCam

I don't think plugging a line out into a mic in is gonna work - completely different sensitivities.

Would it be too much effort to buy another audio cable and swap them over? Or if you want to spend a touch more money, a small mixing board.

diggidy

Really, it doesnt matter to me how I get this working, I just want to be able to get audio from my xbox, and also be able to listen to music on my computer.

Preferably I would like to keep the LG system I have right now, but I am willing to go in a different direction.

If you have an easier/better way to do this please tell me, and if you have any other suggestions for sound system I would appreciate it. Thanks

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
The cheap way to do this is to connect your 360's composite out into the composite in of the home theater system, you'll probably need 2 couplers for this.

The more expensive way (and the better sounding way) is to connect the 360 with the receiver with an optical cable.

cohen

Blue your XBOX 360 Audio into the Line input in your computer and then it will come out your actually PC output.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Really, it doesnt matter to me how I get this working, I just want to be able to get audio from my xbox, and also be able to listen to music on my computer.

Preferably I would like to keep the LG system I have right now, but I am willing to go in a different direction.

If you have an easier/better way to do this please tell me, and if you have any other suggestions for sound system I would appreciate it. Thanks

Trust me use the optical cable, it's the easiest way as you don't even need to route the sound through your computer.

diggidy

ok thanks, can you give me a link to the optical cable I need.

and I also need to figure out how I can get the sound from my computer (music and such) to play on the speakers also. Any ideas?

thanks again

diggidy

yeah, but it came with another set of red and white plugs but the input on my computer is green blue and red. I don't know which ones to plug it into to get the right sound.

And with the xbox and the computer hooked up at the same time, will both work?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
ok thanks, can you give me a link to the optical cable I need.

and I also need to figure out how I can get the sound from my computer (music and such) to play on the speakers also. Any ideas?

thanks again

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123013

yeah, but it came with another set of red and white plugs but the input on my computer is green blue and red. I don't know which ones to plug it into to get the right sound.

You'll want to hook up a normal 3.5mm cable from the line out of your computer to a 3.5mm to RCA stereo adapter and then plugging that into the normal Audio in on your receiver.

diggidy

I am having no luck with this system, and am taking it back to best buy.

Is there an easier way I can do this for under 150$? I'm not getting real picky about it I just want good sound to listen to music and play xbox.

thanks

cohen

You'll need one of these

82-196-031-02.jpg

You can get it here Your RCA (Red + White) go in there and then the 3.5mm goes into the line in input on your computer and then the audio will come out the output of your PC.

diggidy

I already have on of those, but where would I plug that into. I already tried putting the red and white into, and the putting it in the blue input and it didnt work.

All I have to do is plug it in to one input and it will work?

If so could you recommend a better set of speakers that would work just the same?

Also my computer is a few years old so could that be the problem?

cohen

I already have on of those, but where would I plug that into. I already tried putting the red and white into, and the putting it in the blue input and it didnt work.

All I have to do is plug it in to one input and it will work?

If so could you recommend a better set of speakers that would work just the same?

Also my computer is a few years old so could that be the problem?

1. What specs do you have?
2. Plug it into the blue plug and have your speakers in the green plug and it should work

diggidy

I have a dell DIMENSION 4 w/ pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz and 256mb ram, idk what sound card I have.

What audio setting should my xbox be on for this to work?

diggidy

I get audio out of my PC, but when I plug the xbox in I get nothing, do you say I need a better system just because the sound sucks or because it wont work? Any other speaker system you would recommend that would be easy to set up?