Connected but can't browse

Xizzaar

I am writing this on behalf of my friend.

Basically my friend's computer just came back from repairs but for some reason his internet doesn't work at all on his PC.

He has a connection and i'm speaking to him on skype this very second but he is unable to browse the web and programs like steam and dropbox have no connection.

When he tries to use Chrome he get's this message:
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

He has tried:
1. going into cmd and typing "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt"
2. doing a full factory reset to his router
3. using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS server
4. disabling proxy server
and rebooting the computer after every one of them

And this only seems to happen with his PC, which worked before it got sent to repairs(for GPU problems). He can browse on his phone just fine.

Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using wireless or Ethernet cable? Have him reinstall the driver for whatever he is using. Use device manager, right click on the device and click on uninstall, reboot pc and let windows reinstall. Also check tcp/ip settings for automatically get IP and dns servers are checked.

Xizzaar

Using wireless or Ethernet cable? Have him reinstall the driver for whatever he is using. Use device manager, right click on the device and click on uninstall, reboot pc and let windows reinstall. Also check tcp/ip settings for automatically get IP and dns servers are checked.

He's using a cable and has tried different slots on the router. I'll have him try those things tomorrow and leave an update with the progress.

Xizzaar

Open up Command Prompt and ping www.google.com, what do you get for a reply? Then ping 8.8.8.8 and let us know what you get.

After pinging www.google.com (roughly translated from portuguese):
ping request not located in host www. Google.com, check the name and try again

After pinging 8.8.8.8:
Sent: 4
Received: 4
Lost: 0
Time: minimum: 13ms maximum: 17ms average: 14ms

EDIT: From all 4 sent the TTL in each is 57

Geoff

VIP Member
After pinging www.google.com (roughly translated from portuguese):
ping request not located in host www. Google.com, check the name and try again

After pinging 8.8.8.8:
Sent: 4
Received: 4
Lost: 0
Time: minimum: 13ms maximum: 17ms average: 14ms

EDIT: From all 4 sent the TTL in each is 57
I just wanted to confirm it was a DNS issue and not a browser issue.

Is there any way for him to test using a different router and internet connection? Either with a public hotspot nearby or using your phone as a hotspot?

Okedokey

Open Network and Sharing Center.
Click “Change Adapter Settings”.
Find Network Connection that is used to connect to internet (either “Local
Area Connection” or “Wireless Connection”), right-click on it and click
Properties.
Now in new windows select “Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click
Properties button.
In the new window click the checkbox for “Use the following DNS server
addresses:”
Type in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Click Ok and close the rest of the windows.

Agent Smith

Try this exactly as it says. http://www.windows-secrets.co.uk/2013/08/repair-the-windows-87vista-tcpip-stack/

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt is only one command.

Is there an anti-virus or software based firewall installed?

Try another browser like Firefox or Cyberfox. Scan the computer with ADwcleaner just to rule PUPs out. I would even try malwarebytes.

You can try windows repair all in one out which has many useful features. http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

If all else fails you can try a repair install with windows. What OS are you using?

Last edited:

Xizzaar

Open Network and Sharing Center.
Click “Change Adapter Settings”.
Find Network Connection that is used to connect to internet (either “Local
Area Connection” or “Wireless Connection”), right-click on it and click
Properties.
Now in new windows select “Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click
Properties button.
In the new window click the checkbox for “Use the following DNS server
addresses:”
Type in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Click Ok and close the rest of the windows.

As i mentioned, he's already tried this.

Xizzaar

Try this exactly as it says. http://www.windows-secrets.co.uk/2013/08/repair-the-windows-87vista-tcpip-stack/

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt is only one command.

Is there an anti-virus or software based firewall installed?

Try another browser like Firefox or Cyberfox. Scan the computer with ADwcleaner just to rule PUPs out. I would even try malwarebytes.

You can try windows repair all in one out which has many useful features. http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

If all else fails you can try a repair install with windows. What OS are you using?

He's tried a number of different commands like that one.
He scanned the computer yesterday and found nothing.
I doubt another browser would work as programs that require updates like steam won't even work for him.

I'll tell him to try windows repair, he's not online atm so i can't ask him but i think he's got Win 7 64bit.

Geoff

VIP Member
A new browser won't work, as we identified by trying to ping using a hostname and IP. The IP works, the hostname does not. It's a DNS problem, not a browser problem.

Just humor us, have him go to Network Connections > Right click on his network card > Properties, and tell us what it says for DNS.

Xizzaar

Just humor us, have him go to Network Connections > Right click on his network card > Properties, and tell us what it says for DNS.

Forgive my ignorance but where do i find the DNS-part of this?
I'm assuming it's in the IPv4 properties?

Geoff

VIP Member
Forgive my ignorance but where do i find the DNS-part of this?
I'm assuming it's in the IPv4 properties?
windows-7-network-connection-properties.jpg

Click on details when on this screen

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The system still could be infected. There are some infections out there that can cause this sort of issue. Zero access comes to mind. What virus/malware programs have you used to scan your system?