Connecting a switch to a switch?

tobywuk

Will it work if i connect a router to a switch to another switch to a computer?

Eg:

Router ---> Switch ---->Switch---->Computer
------------------------- |_____>Computer 2

Last edited:

tobywuk

im wireing up a network in my house.

One ethernet cable will connect from the router (central point from internet) in to each of the rooms.

People staying in each room may have more than one device/computer and so i was wondering if they used a small switch would it work if they then connected all there devices to this switch

Cleric7x9

i think it will only work if you have an available WAN port on your router to hook the first switch to. unfortunately plugging a switch into a LAN port of the router wouldnt work.

systek

banned
YES, you can hook up several switches in a daisy chain to a router. As long as the router is handing out enough IP addresses and you are using powered switches instead of dumb hubs, you should be ok. Ive never attached more than two consumer grade switches/home use switches after a router so I cant say how many you can link before there is network degradation.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Most modern switches have auto sensing ports, but they also have ports dedicated as uplinks. However, remember that the uplink port is generally shared with another. If you chain too many consumer switches you may have some collision issues because some really cheap switches are made really cheaply. However, I would not fret because I doubt your home network could ever get big enough to actually cause issues. I have one linksys router controlling 2 PCs, 2 Mac Desktops, 1 macbook pro, and 1 HP laptop, plus my xbox 360 and my nintendo Wii. I never have issues.

systek

banned
Most modern switches have auto sensing ports, but they also have ports dedicated as uplinks. However, remember that the uplink port is generally shared with another. If you chain too many consumer switches you may have some collision issues because some really cheap switches are made really cheaply. However, I would not fret because I doubt your home network could ever get big enough to actually cause issues. I have one linksys router controlling 2 PCs, 2 Mac Desktops, 1 macbook pro, and 1 HP laptop, plus my xbox 360 and my nintendo Wii. I never have issues.

another solution, purchase an enterprise level switch such as HP procurve online for cheap...I now we are throwing away 24 port 3com switches and replacing them w/PPoE cisco switches...

tlarkin

VIP Member
another solution, purchase an enterprise level switch such as HP procurve online for cheap...I now we are throwing away 24 port 3com switches and replacing them w/PPoE cisco switches...

How cheap is cheap? I mean you can turn a 50 dollar retail router into a functional router of which would cost you probably 500 dollars on the enterprise level.

systek

banned
when you have a few hundred computers accessing the internet as well as an exchange server doing its thing, i would not want the consumer router to fry due to overload...

tlarkin

VIP Member
when you have a few hundred computers accessing the internet as well as an exchange server doing its thing, i would not want the consumer router to fry due to overload...

Yes, I know. We run Cisco Catalyst switches/routers at my work connecting over 60 buildings in three cities, which almost all buildings have at least one HP proliant server (not counting our Xserves for the Macs) running, and some buildings have several.

However, this guy is talking about his home network I am most sure. He isn't running any AD/OD/ED environment with email/calendar servers going. In fact most people on this forum are just end users.

systek

banned
Yes, I know. We run Cisco Catalyst switches/routers at my work connecting over 60 buildings in three cities, which almost all buildings have at least one HP proliant server (not counting our Xserves for the Macs) running, and some buildings have several.

However, this guy is talking about his home network I am most sure. He isn't running any AD/OD/ED environment with email/calendar servers going. In fact most people on this forum are just end users.

yeh, guess you are right(and i have noticed that already even though its my first day here)

tlarkin

VIP Member
yeh, guess you are right(and i have noticed that already even though its my first day here)

I mean its good to have the knowledge that you do, and I am sure it will help someone, but most people on this forum are younger kids that just video game (basic generalization).

systek

banned
btw, have you been to computerforums.org??? that place blows monkey nutz! its based in england and the mods are worse than hitler himself

tlarkin

VIP Member
thats funny. I frequent NONE of the techie sites. to tell ya the truth, im just trying to hit 100 so i can post items i have for sale ;)

Well, it is a good place to learn. I basically became a Apple person by default when our main Apple IT guy quit at one of my jobs years ago. So, my boss was like you are our new apple guy, go get certified. So I started working with them and would post questions on the mac forum, and now I would say that I can comfortably deal with both Unix and OS X and Macs on the enterprise level. Hell, I even wrote a shell script for our Zen imaging solution. I taught myself shell scripting (though I am still a novice) via the internet.

You can learn a lot in your spare time, its how I keep up.

systek

banned
eh, im trying to move back into IT supervisor role, which means I dont need to keep up to speed with the latest and greatest. jUst need to know how to get things rolling in the right direction and hire the right techs to get the job done. btw, sounds like you work for chevron, they are hp all the way