Constantly Losing Internet Connection!!

ARG

Hard to post in a forum when your internet is going out every 5 seconds.. heh

I load open ie and get that stupid cannot connect to the internet page after waiting about 2 minutes. Then I click the diagnose connection thing and it reconnects me after about 8 minutes, and all it says is "internet connectivity has been restored"

Its clearwire internet, feeding 2 computers via linksys router, both hardwired to ethernet cables. Sometimes I have to unplug the router and plug it back in, but I still have to go back and redo the diagnose connection thingy and wait another 8 minutes.

Its a 1 yr old computer running XP.

Any suggestions that don't involve sledgehammers, fire, throwing it out window & forking over $2k for a mac?

Punk

Staff member
Basically your internet comes from a router?

If yes it might be the signal... Might have interferences between your computer and the router.

If not, try having internet on just one computer with ethernet and tell us how it goes...

Webbenji
:D

ARG

Thanks webbenji. But unfortunately, I don't live alone so a router is required to share internet access.

chupacabra

This sound more like, that your room mate is abusing the speed on his side and leaving you with less than 5% of the total connection lol

ARG

This sound more like, that your room mate is abusing the speed on his side and leaving you with less than 5% of the total connection lol

I wish it were that easy. He works days and I work nights, so we're rarely using the internet at the exact same time.

kof2000

or he's camping is computer to download :D

also if you can check if the cat5 cables are working 100% with a cable tester.

chrispettitt

Router

What i think is a good option, is that you should try and log into your router and check and see if its a setting that has been defaulted. Can you give some of your router details? (Make, Model Number etc.)

Thanks

Chris

StrangleHold

Staff member
Thanks webbenji. But unfortunately, I don't live alone so a router is required to share internet access.

To track the problem down just as a text, bypass the router with your computer and plug straight into the modem to see if the connection is fine that way.

ARG

What i think is a good option, is that you should try and log into your router and check and see if its a setting that has been defaulted. Can you give some of your router details? (Make, Model Number etc.)

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the replies. Its a Linksys, model #BEFCMU10. I believe its their most common model currently sold in stores.

ARG

Update.

Disconnected the router, and wired directly to the modem, theres no improvement whatsover. But I find that if I directly disable & enable the connection through the 'network connections' part of the control panel, I dont' have to wait 10 minutes to reconnect. But it still can instantly disconnect at any given second.

???

shawn_selig29

i'm guessing problem with modem or ur network card...... but don't take my suggestion...lol..... cause i'm only a little smart...lol ....hope ur problem gets fixed as it sounds frustrating.....

lovely?

i dont think the problem lies in your router. i get the same problem, though not as often. it happens when my internet is really straining, like in an internet-intensive game. it could be your rouer though, the one sure-fire way to know is your buds computer. does it screw up too?

ARG

i dont think the problem lies in your router. i get the same problem, though not as often. it happens when my internet is really straining, like in an internet-intensive game. it could be your rouer though, the one sure-fire way to know is your buds computer. does it screw up too?

The router is not in use. And no heavy bandwidth applications either, except some youtube here and there.

lovely?

well, if its not your router, then i would begin to think that its a software issue, or maybe your internet provider

Crimsonite

Go to Linksys' site to download the latest firmware and upgrade your router. Make sure you save it to your desktop when downloading so easy to locate.

Click on Start, -->Run, type in "CMD" without the quotes hit Enter, this should bring up the Command Prompt. If you see a long directory name after C:\, type in "cd\" at the end of the line without the quotes, hit Enter, you should be left with a clean C:\

Now type this: "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes, then hit enter. This will clean your DNS which maybe corrupted and clogging up your connection. Reboot Windows and post back result.

ARG

Go to Linksys' site to download the latest firmware and upgrade your router. Make sure you save it to your desktop when downloading so easy to locate.

Click on Start, -->Run, type in "CMD" without the quotes hit Enter, this should bring up the Command Prompt. If you see a long directory name after C:\, type in "cd\" at the end of the line without the quotes, hit Enter, you should be left with a clean C:\

Now type this: "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes, then hit enter. This will clean your DNS which maybe corrupted and clogging up your connection. Reboot Windows and post back result.

That was great help, thanks alot Crimsonite. I'll find out the results in the coming days.

Alex.A

I have the same problem. I have a router, which is sharing internet to my computer and to an another. I'm loosing internet connection constantly and it never comes back until i pull out it from electricity, i put it again, i reset the system to default, then i go to network connection, disable, then enable and repair. I don't know what causes this interruption. I thought that the router is broken, but its company gave me a new one, still no result. Without the router(directly from the modem), internet works. I don;t know what else to try. Please help.

ARG

I have the same problem. I have a router, which is sharing internet to my computer and to an another. I'm loosing internet connection constantly and it never comes back until i pull out it from electricity, i put it again, i reset the system to default, then i go to network connection, disable, then enable and repair. I don't know what causes this interruption. I thought that the router is broken, but its company gave me a new one, still no result. Without the router(directly from the modem), internet works. I don;t know what else to try. Please help.

Same here. I've tried everything suggested so far to no avail. Anyone know what this problem could be?