Constantly Losing Internet Connection!!

BLK1985

My guess is a software issue on your computer. Maybe a firewall, or maybe your router is causing the problems.

At work we had a lady call in telling me that her internet doesnt work or she drops connection a lot. I looked up the settings and I figured out everything was good on our end(ISP) and told her it was her computer. I could send someone out but it will cost her. She agrees, tech goes out tells her the same thing I told her. She ends up calling back 3 times today. Turns out it was a problem with the way her router was set up.

And I've had people call in with the same problem you are saying. It ends up that they have a firewall on the computer(not Windows one). They adjusted the settings and it worked.

ARG

I don't have any firewalls, and I disabled the windows one as well.

How the the router be set up wrong?

Deepblue

Clearwire is that wireless internet ?
Does it use a login name and pw like DSL ?
If so you may need to set you modem and router up as if you was using DSL
setting the modem to bridge ethernet and the router to make the connection.

just a guess cause i never used a wireless ISP

Trizoy

VIP Member
Make sure the router is not sitting on the carpet, it could be overheating with the holding of the heat in the carpet.

Good luck

Crimsonite

He tried connecting the modem directly to the computer and still gets instant drops. Only difference is that now since router is bypassed his computer no longer needs to wait for the router to sync up, but only the modem.

If what I gave you doesn't work, download WinSockFix and save to desktop: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Run it in normal mode. Open the program and click "Fix" then let it run. It'll scan & repair your HOST files and default the registry keys back to the new install state. Reboot computer when prompted, hope it works for you~

Crimsonite

Did they give you the phone jack filters? Do you have them on every phone jack that has a phone connected? Is the modem/router near any other eletronics or phones?

ARG

Did they give you the phone jack filters? Do you have them on every phone jack that has a phone connected? Is the modem/router near any other eletronics or phones?

There is no land line service in the house. No phone jacks are in use.

Crimsonite

So you're on wireless then...-_-

A number of things can affect its signal. Microwaves, cordless phones, cellphones, radios, TV's, power outlets...etc. Make sure the router sits in a "clean" spot.

And if the router has the option for you to choose "802.11b" or "802.11g" or both, then choose both. Also try a different channel.

ARG

So you're on wireless then...-_-

A number of things can affect its signal. Microwaves, cordless phones, cellphones, radios, TV's, power outlets...etc. Make sure the router sits in a "clean" spot.

And if the router has the option for you to choose "802.11b" or "802.11g" or both, then choose both. Also try a different channel.

Its not wireless within the house. Its connected directly with ethernet cables. The ISP itself, Clearwire, is wireless, but it very rarely goes out. The connection is being lost between the router and computer, which is hardwired with cables.