Coolermaster 690 mod

ScOuT

VIP Member
So I got home from work about 10:00 am the other day and was looking at mac550's thread about his case mod and was inspired:D

http://www.computerforum.com/140791-cooler-master-cm690-mods.html

I have been wanting to do this for a while and just started tearing everything apart:eek:

First thing I did was cut the top two fan grills and the rear fan grill out. Then I primed and painted Ultra Flat Black:cool:
IMG_3499.jpg

When the paint was drying I took a couple Sycthe Slip Stream 120mm fans and cut the top rim off. That would allow me to push them through the top for mounting.
IMG_3502.jpg

I decided to mount the rear fan on the outside to give me more room inside the case.
IMG_3503.jpg

I got all the fans installed...the paint is dry...time to throw everything together:D
IMG_3505.jpg

I took my time putting everything together...I made sure everything was perfect. My wife had to help me a few time to hold stuff in place. The top fans gave me so much more clearance...before the fans were almost sitting on the CPU cooler:mad:
IMG_3513.jpg

There it is...almost ready to fire up:) I thought about running to the local computer store and buying a black sleeve kit for my wires. That would be much better but, having done it before, I am aware of the headaches it causes. That is a slow...painful mod that I don't have the patience for:p I used electrical tape instead...much quicker and it works.
IMG_3517.jpg

I plugged everything back in and it fired right up...didn't skip a beat:good:
IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

Best of all...got little man started off in the right direction;)
IMG_3496.jpg

Except of course the paint on mom's kitchen table and chair:cool:

Case: Coolermaster 690 Nvidia Edition
PSU: Antec Neo 650w / modular cables
Motherboard: Asus P5N-E 650i
CPU: Intel Q9300 @ 2.750 GHz
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8
RAM: G Skill 2x2 GB @ 800MHz / 2.0v
GPU: eVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC Edition
OP: Vista Home Premium 64bit

Last edited:

zer0_c00l

very sweet! i was thinking of doing somthing close with my 590 :D how many coats of flat black is on there?

Last edited:

jevery

I think that's the cleanest build I've ever seen. Hardly any wires visible. And the fan modifications really work well. Impressive!

funkysnair

VIP Member
very good job, looks like the matt black is strarting to take hold!

my 1st case i sprayed was the 900 a while ago then i just sprayed my lian-li, the reason yours looks so good is the fact that the cable management is very good!

i take it the case has a removable mobo tray?

im looking into getting another psu (modular) as i think you have prooved black interior with good cable mangement looks the mutts

ScOuT

VIP Member
very sweet! i was thinking of doing somthing close with my 590 :D how many coats of flat black is on there?

I used 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black. I wanted to get it sand blasted and do everything all correct. I live in a small German village and the resources just aren't here. I had to settle for just a light hand sand. All in all I used about 1 1/2 cans of each.

I think that's the cleanest build I've ever seen. Hardly any wires visible. And the fan modifications really work well. Impressive!

Thanks...I have been waiting to do a simple easy mod to improve my rig for a while. I spent extra time on the wires and made sure everything was how I wanted it. It's like putting a puzzle together getting all the wires where you want them.

very good job, looks like the matt black is strarting to take hold!

my 1st case i sprayed was the 900 a while ago then i just sprayed my lian-li, the reason yours looks so good is the fact that the cable management is very good!

i take it the case has a removable mobo tray?

im looking into getting another psu (modular) as i think you have prooved black interior with good cable mangement looks the mutts

Something about a computer with black interior...:D I had to try it:cool: The motherboard try is not removable. It does have a decent amount of space behind it for the cables. Another PSU? Planning on some upgrades and need more power:confused: Or do you just want modular?:p

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
I used 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black. I wanted to get it sand blasted and do everything all correct. I live in a small German village and the resources just aren't here. I had to settle for just a light hand sand. All in all I used about 1 1/2 cans of each.

Thanks...I have been waiting to do a simple easy mod to improve my rig for a while. I spent extra time on the wires and mead sure everything was how I wanted it. It's like putting a puzzle together getting all the wires where you want them.

Something about a computer with black interior...:D I had to try it:cool: The motherboard try is not removable. It does have a decent amount of space behind it for the cables. Another PSU? Planning on some upgrades and need more power:confused: Or do you just want modular?:p

im keeping the build i have now and im going with the phenomII 955 with modular psu and the 5*** series ati gpu's when they come out.

black interior does look smart, even in my little lian-li case it looks really good

ScOuT

VIP Member
im keeping the build i have now and im going with the phenomII 955 with modular psu and the 5*** series ati gpu's when they come out.

I have the same plan. I am going to keep mine the way it is until I get back from Afghanistan. It will be winter 2010 when I do my next build. It's super stable and my wife has no idea how to fix it when I am gone. I'll have to see what is available when I get back. Really thinking of a AMD & ATI combo this time:) It will be my first time using either one;)

mac550

looking good mate, paint has come out really nice :D. one question though, why put the rear fan on the outside of the case?

ScOuT

VIP Member
looking good mate, paint has come out really nice :D. one question though, why put the rear fan on the outside of the case?

Thanks man...with the rear fan, well there is kinda a story. Newegg sent me the 38mm versions of the Sycthe Ultra Kaze fans when I ordered the 25mm versions. It takes way too long and costs too much money to RMA fans back to Newegg from Germany. So...I am kinda stuck with them. The 38mm fans sit right up on the V8 with about 1/16 of an inch to spare. I just needed more room...that's all:)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only just seen this post :eek:

Looks awesome dude!!!!

I have the same case,exept mines the standard 690,Not the Nvidia edition.

I cant do my cable management like yours ever with with my current Power supply,The cables are just too short :D

Candy

Looks great Scout! Gotta love a black interior.
And good cable management helps a lot :good:

ScOuT

VIP Member
Only just seen this post :eek:

Looks awesome dude!!!!

I cant do my cable management like yours ever with with my current Power supply,The cables are just too short :D

Thanks man...I am really happy with the way it turned out. I tried it a couple years back and it was a disaster! I was impatient then and rushed through it very quickly.

Cables too short....I have to make loops on the back of the motherboard tray because mine are too long!

That looks AWESOME, colorful carpet btw:p

Thanks man...green astro turf on the balcony, white and brown in the living room and blue in the computer room:p

this is really scout----\/

He had a blast helping me...he actually did a really good job considering he just turned 6:eek:

Looks great Scout! Gotta love a black interior.
And good cable management helps a lot :good:

I've been looking at computers painted black for a long time and never had one:mad: I had to try it:D

I spent like 2 hours just getting the cables how I wanted them. It sucks when you get 2 or 3 things in place and then you see a better way...take it back apart again:eek:

ScOuT

VIP Member
+1 for cable management.
+1 for awesome colours.

Excellent work Scout, cable management is nice and clean ;)

Thanks guys...it was a small fun little project for my son and I:D

I have more planned soon...:eek:

- Removing the HD racks and mounting HDs in 5.25" drive bays.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817984001

- New fans, the ones I have I think it's an over kill. Sycthe Ultra Kaze 133 CFM...they no kidding sound like a vacuum cleaner:eek: Going to get the green LED Coolermaster fans:D
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=25752

- Getting rid of the Cold Cathode.

- New window on side panel.

PatPheFox

- New fans, the ones I have I think it's an over kill. Sycthe Ultra Kaze 133 CFM...they no kidding sound like a vacuum cleaner:eek: Going to get the green LED Coolermaster fans:D
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=25752

- Getting rid of the Cold Cathode.

- New window on side panel.

i have that exact fan and love it, high cfm for low dba, though the green isnt very bright, doesnt matter to me cuz i got overpowering ones right next to it but you might care