Coolermaster 690 Mods

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello all,

Okay ive had this case for a while,i recently upgraded to a new Psu and gfx card and as you can see its a mess in there.

Ive always had trouble with cable management,So i was thinking i might mod inside my case with some cut outs that i can hide some cables behind the mobo tray or something?

My Psu is Modular.....but i need all those cables thats connected :cool:

Im thinking of doing away with the IDE cable,and buying a rounded one.

Also i want to improve cooling,Its not bad as it is...my cpu idles around 37c...graphics card around 42c and are well in safe temps on load but still a heat reduction would be nicer.

Il post some pics and await some of your ideas :):good:

PIC_0005Copy.jpg

PIC_0010Copy.jpg

PIC_0009Copy.jpg

PIC_0006Copy.jpg

PIC_0011Copy.jpg

bomberboysk

What all are you using that is IDE? Just one of those optical drives? Have you thought about perhaps just sticking with one optical drive?

Zip ties work wonders for cable management btw.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey mate,

Yeah its my older DVDRW...the reason im still using it is because my newer sony is very fussy to what disks it wants too read and sometimes refuses to read.

But i keep my newer sony DVDRW in there because it writes faster than my old ide one :D

funkysnair

VIP Member
Hey mate,

Yeah its my older DVDRW...the reason im still using it is because my newer sony is very fussy to what disks it wants too read and sometimes refuses to read.

But i keep my newer sony DVDRW in there because it writes faster than my old ide one :D

you know what i have had the same problem with the last 2 drives before my newest! weird lol

i was using my anciant drive that was like 8x read or sumit

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah its a nighmare reading dvds....it clicks and does not read the disk most times,But burns dvds very quck :D

So Mr Funky.....what you reckon i should do to tidy my mess up in the case?

Your setups have all been nice and tidy ;)

susik89

I have cm690 and ide dvd drive too. I think I'm gonna get a sata drive because i cant stand the look of the ide cable, its way too big. I'll post up my pics tomorrow and maybe u'll get an idea from my cable management and use it in yours :) BTW i really like that power switch mod.

ScOuT

VIP Member
Here is a couple pictures for ya to look at CM 690 cases. Cable management is actually really easy with this case.

1. Utilize the hole next to the power supply and run all your cables behind the motherboard tray. This will keep them out of sight and help the "clean" look.

2. Utilize random places, like the top of the hard drive rack. Fold all the extra cables up and zip strip them to the top. You could also run the cables along the sides of the 5 inch drive bay and hard drive rack and zip strip them in place.

And this is mine
IMG_3517.jpg

Keep us updated as you go...I wanna see what happens!

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, like people have said, just cut some holes in there and shove what you can behind the MOBO tray. Also, cable tie everything, it'll look so much better. ;)

Ethan3.14159

Those are some sweet mods, Scout and Mac. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Damn I wish my Cooler Master case had room behind the motherboard tray for the 24 pin power cable... :(

Russian777

Here is a couple pictures for ya to look at CM 690 cases. Cable management is actually really easy with this case.

1. Utilize the hole next to the power supply and run all your cables behind the motherboard tray. This will keep them out of sight and help the "clean" look.

2. Utilize random places, like the top of the hard drive rack. Fold all the extra cables up and zip strip them to the top. You could also run the cables along the sides of the 5 inch drive bay and hard drive rack and zip strip them in place.

And this is mine
IMG_3517.jpg

Keep us updated as you go...I wanna see what happens!

damn thats clean.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tks for the pics guys,

I should be starting this today...im busy this morning but have all afternoon free:)

Ive looked around on some sites and got some ideas,im actualy thinking of removing the bottom front Intake fan and shoving it in the middle,just inderneath the cd drive.

Because i think this was poor of Coolermaster....they have blocked that bottom fan with metal for the hdd cage so it basicly provides no intake at all.

Il probably also be removing that IDE drive,If my current Sata drive keeps on playing up i migh just replace it with an LG one or something as theyre quite cheap now.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay i started today,Im doing it all black inside,going to cut out some holes for those wires and i was thinking of doing what Scout and some other people have done with their rear external exhaust fan.....sticking it on the outside?

This is my progress so far,Ive emptied the case,cleaned all the components up such as fans etc.

Im going to pick up a Dremmel tommorow and begin.

PIC_0014-1.jpg

I also have some Plexi-glass for the side panel :)

What colour Cathodes do you think i should get?

ScOuT

VIP Member

Now that is setting up the man for failure!

What colour Cathodes do you think i should get?

Well...red motherboard, red ATI card and a red OCZ PSU? That's and easy question to answer:p Red perhaps?;)

I would recommend drawing the lines you want to cut with a pencil first. Really sit there and think about how you want everything first.

Once you start cutting...there is no turning back:cool:

****EDIT****

I just ordered more stuff and more mods coming to my case!

Taking out the hard drive racks...I ordered some Scythe drive bay mounts for my hard drives. They will be mounted in the top. Another Scythe Ultra Kaze and filter are going up front. I have an eVGA 780i in the mail with new RAM and a new Western Digital Black 500GB. Now, I just have to convince the house commander that a new power supply and another GTX 260 are absolutely needed...any ideas?

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Well...red motherboard, red ATI card and a red OCZ PSU? That's and easy question to answer:p Red perhaps?;)

I would recommend drawing the lines you want to cut with a pencil first. Really sit there and think about how you want everything first.

Once you start cutting...there is no turning back:cool:
Also, when you cut line the front and back of where you are cutting with masking tape.

Red would look nice, just go with LED's over a cathode, as red cathodes usually turn out to be more orange or pink.

(On a side note...id love to see someone paint the inside of a case with that fake chrome paint, i wonder what it would look like)

Maybe throw in two led fans at the top of your case aswell?