Corrupt Driver

shepsan

My system:

Acer Aspire XC-780 desktop

Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

The CD/DVD is not recognized nor displays a drive letter in explorer. Thus no CD or DVD disc can operate.

Device manager shows yellow triangle at DVD/CD CD-rom drive.

That physical drive is HL-DT-ST- DVDRAM GUE1N.

Properties error message is:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Object Name not found.”

I have tried to update driver and message displayed that the best driver was installed.

I have deleted the drive while in Device Manager and rebooted. After reboot, the problem persists.

How do I delete the existing driver? Believe it is ver 10.0 150630.

Where do I obtain a replacement driver or does one automatically download and install when I boot up (throuh plug and play)?

_Pete_

I believe this a Hitachi drive. The drivers are Windows generic CD/DVD drivers. You could look on the Acer website to see if they supply drivers for that drive but if you have uninstalled the drivers from Device manager then windows should automatically re-install the correct drivers. It could be a Windows operating system corruption that isn't being cleared but I think it is, more than likely, a faulty DVD drive.

shepsan

Thank you for your reply.
The driver does automatically install after reboot. But the error persists.
It is a Hitachi drive; and, Acer website support does not show an available driver.
The PC is less than two weeks old and the drive did work for ten days before the drive letter disappeared in explorer.
You are probably correct that the the drive itself is faulty.