Ok, so heres the deal:
I have a compaq presario desktop that has worked fine for about 2 years. I recently moved and when I went to restart the computer, I was met with this message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system"
I have ran chkdsk and everything, followed the online guides with microsoft and tried to use the recovery feature with another XP cd. The problem is that I can not choose C:\Windows. All that shows up is I:\I386 and I:\MiniNT.
I have not been able to find anything that mentions ways around this and I know that windows is on C:\.
I don't want to lose the files on the drive, but I am willing to reformat it if there is a way to get the files off first. I have a laptop, but nothing fancy to go along with it...
Please help me get this system working again!
THANK YOU!!!
I have a compaq presario desktop that has worked fine for about 2 years. I recently moved and when I went to restart the computer, I was met with this message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system"
I have ran chkdsk and everything, followed the online guides with microsoft and tried to use the recovery feature with another XP cd. The problem is that I can not choose C:\Windows. All that shows up is I:\I386 and I:\MiniNT.
I have not been able to find anything that mentions ways around this and I know that windows is on C:\.
I don't want to lose the files on the drive, but I am willing to reformat it if there is a way to get the files off first. I have a laptop, but nothing fancy to go along with it...
Please help me get this system working again!
THANK YOU!!!