Corsair HX520W run SLI 8600GTS cards?

PC eye

banned
You should be looking at the HX620 model for SLI application. Here without even a thought of SLI I went with the OCZ GameXStream 700w model now seen for good price at zipzoomfly.com. Those are the better recommended models while you would simply have to run everything at the basics there. That's means no ocing or any load up with added devices.

You should be looking at the HX620 model for SLI application. Here without even a thought of SLI I went with the OCZ GameXStream 700w model now seen for good price at zipzoomfly.com. Those are the better recommended models while you would simply have to run everything at the basics there. That's means no ocing or any load up with added devices.

Modular Cabling?

PC eye

banned
Corsair and the modular cabling are still a good mix there. Corsair is one of the best makes out for something like a gaming build with SLI in use. They generally see good amps on the rails to provide enough. But a heftier model would be the thing to look at for any heavy ocing and additional hardwares added onto the system.

The 700w model was selected here for seeing 6 not 4 sata power connections allowing room for that type of expansion on the new build here. I was looking at the HX620 600w but had to meet the budget. I would rather have that one for SLI or Crossfire over some cheapo 500-550w supplies seen.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Eh, i never been a fan of modular cables.. not sure why, but then again i have never had one :p

The Corsair 520w puts out 40A, the OCZ GameXStream 700w puts out 50A.

The OCZ delivers more power, but the Corsair will be more than sufficiant for SLI'ed 8600's.

Eh, i never been a fan of modular cables.. not sure why, but then again i have never had one :p

The Corsair 520w puts out 40A, the OCZ GameXStream 700w puts out 50A.

The OCZ delivers more power, but the Corsair will be more than sufficiant for SLI'ed 8600's.

It's either the Corsair HX520W or the Antec Quattro 850W.

I don't like OCZ stuff and I figure since I am buying something that is close to the price of the Antec, go ahead and leap for that. What do you guys think? I would love to get the HX520W for $99 on Buy.com and have room for 2x optical drives, a 6000+, E6550, or E6750, a WD RE 160Gb, 2Gb RAM, and a couple fans.

kof2000

captureyp7.jpg

StrangleHold

Staff member
The 520 has 40 amps on the 12 volt rail combined, plus that newegg copy and paste has nothing about about the total on the 12 volt rails. You dont just add them together. The 620 only has 50 amps

From Corsair for the 520 and 620
Triple 12V Rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The new line of Antec Quatros are made by Enhance wihich is a good name for the higher powered supplies. For ocing and having plenty of extra you would have to consider the additional cost there. But that still sounds like it would be overkill since you can easily run an HX520 for basic and no heavy this and that or go for the HX620 model to allow for more there. One extra thought would be a quick look at the new sticky to get some ideas there seen in supply by video card page. http://www.computerforum.com/90110-power-recommendations-video-card.html

StrangleHold

Staff member
I think it will be fine for 8600GTS in SLI unless your going to have 4 harddrives, three burners, card reader, floppy, four case fans and so on, starts adding up;)

Haha...I just looked at benchmarks for 8600GTS in SLI, they are just below par with an 8800GTS 640Mb :rolleyes: Lol! I want to mess around with SLI. Without going over $300 on the cards. What about Crossfire of 2600XT's? I know ATI takes more power, would the Antec Quattro cover this?

Thanks

Last edited: