Cost of computer security protection

peter912

I am going to cancel my McAfee subscription when it expires in March . I am going to go with Malwarebytes premium and I will be saving $100 a year . I will also enable Windows Defender because that is disabled now.

Darren

Staff member
If you're getting MalwareBytes Premium, that will replace Defender. Ideally you don't want to use two AV's at once. "Normal" MalwareBytes is not an AV, but Premium is.

While we're on the subject, Norton apparently comes with with crypto mining now
Still wouldn't use or recommend it ever, as has been the case for 15+ years

with a 15% cut to your bitcoin mining profits. Avoid Norton at all cost.
For sure!
On the plus side Norton been soo bad it's almost a positive in that it probably pushed users to better solutions, that's how I found avast (and I think spyworks was the name?) in 2006
Even back then Norton was something ridiculous like $100 a year for its bloat

As told before, the Malwarebytes premium has for long had poor resaults in tests (https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/manufacturer/malwarebytes/ ) whith both protestion and performance issues (both vary much over time)

I would advice against using Malwarebytes premium and opt to try some better working antivirus software instead.. like for instance: https://home.sophos.com that you may try for 30 days for free (and are inexpensive after that) plus that you are allowed to protect up to 10 different devices (PCs or Macs). Perfect if you have several PCs in you home or your kids/elderly parents have PCs!
And I bet your PC will feel alot faster than when it run McAfee (horrible software)

Darren

Staff member
As told before, the Malwarebytes premium has for long had poor resaults in tests (https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/manufacturer/malwarebytes/ ) whith both protestion and performance issues (both vary much over time)

I would advice against using Malwarebytes premium and opt to try some better working antivirus software instead.. like for instance: https://home.sophos.com that you may try for 30 days for free (and are inexpensive after that) plus that you are allowed to protect up to 10 different devices (PCs or Macs). Perfect if you have several PCs in you home or your kids/elderly parents have PCs!
And I bet your PC will feel alot faster than when it run McAfee (horrible software)
Did you even read your own link you posted? The ratings for Malwarebytes Premium are quite good over the past year. It literally has a badge next to it that says "top product".

1643266301974.png

Meanwhile Sophos hasn't been rated since 2011, and poorly at that. Makes you wonder...

1643266353319.png

Digging further, I actually have a hard time finding any testing results for Sophos Home Premium. They're more business oriented than consumer. I really wonder about the recommendations you make sometimes...

peter912

Since I haven't renewed my subscription to McAfee ,which expires in March, they offered to reduce the price to only $34.95 from $129 . Still I don't want to renew it and would like to go with Malwarebytes paid version. It pays to hesitate and then prices go down, to try and get you to renew. This applies also to other places as well.

colin.p

While you certainly can use a "paid for" AV, why not save all of your AV cost and use Windows Defender? You can set up Defender to be as good if not better than Commercial AV's (Configure Defender, Simple Windows Hardening, Windows Firewall Control and Malwarebytes as a manual scanner and all are free) that is more than good enough for most computer users. All of these (except MB) use native Windows Defender and just allow more and more secure configuration.

peter912

Malwarebytes just made a very tempting offer of 60% off, $23.50 Can. for one year . Should I go for it now or wait till my McAfee expires in March ? Will this special still be available next month as well ?

Did you even read your own link you posted? The ratings for Malwarebytes Premium are quite good over the past year. It literally has a badge next to it that says "top product".

View attachment 10546

Meanwhile Sophos hasn't been rated since 2011, and poorly at that. Makes you wonder...

View attachment 10547

Digging further, I actually have a hard time finding any testing results for Sophos Home Premium. They're more business oriented than consumer. I really wonder about the recommendations you make sometimes...
These OVER 10 YEARS OLD TESTS of an, today nonexisting software, are not "up to date" at all.... I really wonder about wour ways to find info on the web..

Sophos home is practically the same as INTERCEPT X for business, that really got going in the end of 2020 as shown HERE: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/manufacturer/sophos/
Since october 2020 sophos, unlike malwarebytes, has had full score in protection EVERY TIME, unlike malwarebytes...

Darren

Staff member
These OVER 10 YEARS OLD TESTS of an, today nonexisting software, are not "up to date" at all.... I really wonder about wour ways to find info on the web..

Sophos home is practically the same as INTERCEPT X for business, that really got going in the end of 2020 as shown HERE: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/business-windows-client/manufacturer/sophos/
Since october 2020 sophos, unlike malwarebytes, has had full score in protection EVERY TIME, unlike malwarebytes...
You absolutely cannot equate a business product with what you get as a consumer. You just don't, they're not the same. If you can give me actual real testing of Sophos HOME with results, I'm all ears.

Also you just said "a totally nonexistent software" then in the next paragraph proceeded to say that exact product is identical to a business product. But I thought it didn't exist? Pick one.

@peter912 If they're offering it at that price I'd say go for it, that's pretty cheap.