CPU and MOBO upgrade

Okay guys, I'm gonna upgrade the cpu and motherboard, but first the cpu. I really want a quad, so no i3. I know this is dougtful, but any 6 cores for $120? I have these in mind.
Phenom 955 BE X4
FX-4100
Phenom 960t Zosma x4

I really like the Zosma, because a chance of 6 cores. Prob no overclocking, to compicated. If I can oc quite a bit on the stock cooler, which I know the fx can (by how much?), I very well might. I will most likely get a ASRock Extreme3.

Machin3

Honestly, you don't need a six core because you won't be utilizing more than 2 cores most of the time. A quad core will be sufficient.

The AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition would be the best you can get.

Last edited:
Okay, I saw a new game with recommended 6 core, website a very resource intecive game, more and more games will say that. It'll be paired with a 6870 or 560 se.

Machin3

Well ok, if you want pure honesty and facts, AMD cpu's aren't the best for gaming. An AMD 6-core will be slower than a leading intel quad core. You'll get lower fps on an AMD six core than say a 2500k quad core.

Let me find you the chart with benchmarks so it doesn't seem like I'm pulling this out of my behind.

Machin3

Off topic? Ok, get a six core then, i doubt that will future proof you. If you don't believe me then just look at the numbers. You wouldn't have that problem with an intel quad core if you just saved up a little more cash and waited a little longer, sandy bridge will probably go down in price anyways.

Just. Talk. About. CPUs. Stop arguing. No saving up. Unless there is an Intel quad for $125, don't talk about em. I already showed you the ones i had in mind.

Machin3

Are you seriously kidding me? I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to explain the differences to you. And I am talking to you about cpus. You just stated that you were interested in something that will be good for gaming.

In those 3 choices that you just provided in your first post, the fx-4100 would probably be your best bet. Those are all quad core cpus btw. And since they are all quad core, I mentioned the 965 Black Edition. That would be better than all three of those that you posted. And its $119.

jonnyp11

and you can easily get a 960t to 3.4/5 stable with good temps on the stock cooler.

But really, an i3 performs just as good as a phenom or fx on quad threaded things and better on dual, so really i'd put it between a 960t and a 2100, unless you wait a month for the 3100 or whatever since they released the i5/i7-3000's today, well some of them paper launched i know

Machin3

I still stand by on the 965 Black Edition. And then I would just overclock it.

or if you want to get that AsRock Extreme board for $89 then the FX-4100

Last edited:
Why the 960?I will get the 960t if i get a phenom because of the zusma archatectre, which is better, and the chance of unlocking cores.Also, how much can a 4100 be oced on the stock cooler, without decreasing life to much, and not overheat (of course)

Okay, is a 2100 i3 enough to max out bf3, lets say I had 4 680s is sli, so no gpu issue, would a i3 power battlefield on max?Not that I play it, but its a pretty cpu intencive game.

Machin3

That wouldn't really work out. If you had 4 680's in SLI, it would bottleneck the crap out of the i3.

Machin3, you really are a cheese hole. I was saying if gpu power wasn't a problem, would the i3 preform worse than a 960 on bf3, and it probobly is yes because bf3 reccomended a quad, and Microsoft flight simulator reccomended a whole 6 core!

Machin3

You can't say that gpu power isn't a problem because you can't take an extremely high end card and pair it with mid range cpu and expect to dominate the games on the market.

The i3 is slightly better in performance and would open up the market for you much more if you would ever think about upgrading in the future. Since its 1155 socket, you be open to all the 1155 cpus which is a huge market right now.

With am3, there's no where to upgrade. And besides, you'd have to get the 960t Black Edition to unlock your cores. No sense in getting an FX series since they weren't very good anyways.

I'm just showing you your options. If your going with am3 then you realistically have no upgrade-able options. i3, will open those options for you easily. I'm just saying how it really is.

Take a look at bench marks and you'll see if you can play what you want to play. Oh, and just because Microsoft "recommends" something doesn't mean its true.

My budget opended up a bit (I hope) At $300 for mobo and cpu. I couldn't find a comparison on these:
i5-2300
Or
FX-8120

Yes, I want a 6 core or above, but it that i5 truly is better, and I mean like %20 and above, than I'll get it. I found a 2400 vs 8120 and the i5 2400 was only a little better out of like 10 benches, and 2 of the benches, the fx won.

MOBO for FX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

MOBO for Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130646