CPU and MOBO upgrade

spirit

Staff member
This should give you a rough idea about performance http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/363?vs=434 I know it's comparing a 2400 with an 8150 but the only differences between the 2300 and 2400 and 8120 and 8150 is a slightly higher clockspeed on the more premium models.

I'd still go for the 2300 even if I had the choice between that and the 8120 - the 2300's architecture is much better.

When are you buying all of this? This weekend the Ivy Bridge CPUs are coming out and they will wipe the floor over Bulldozer. Prices are expecting to be the same as the Sandys at the moment, but the price of Sandy Bridge may fall once Ivy is released this weekend, just like the price of AM3 fell when AM3+ was released.

Yeah, I'm getting ivy, if I get an Intel, but what I heard is that ivy is being way over hyped, and it will actually be pretty simaler to sandy. I want a 8 core, call me crazy. A 4 core is becoming the standard, 6 cores will be in around 2 or 3 years, Intel Core 2 duos were pretty nice 5 years ago, and the highest end were 4 cores, now 2 cores is low, 4 cores is standard, 6 cores are hi end, And for a while they have been out. Did you watch the video I showed you, they were simaler. Is that msi motherboard a lot better than the ASRock? Could you reccomended me a good z77 board under $120?

spirit

Staff member
byteninja2 said:
I want a 8 core, call me crazy.
Firstly although AMD *say* the FX-81xx are octa-cores, they are not. From what I've heard, they work in the same sort of way as the i7 2600K does, being that they are really quad-cores with 4 extra hyper-threaded cores, resulting in 8 threads, but not 8 'true' cores. The architecture is pretty poor as well, hence why the "octa-core" FX-81xx chips get beaten by quad-core 2500Ks. :/ Would not recommend the FX-81xx chips, especially as they are more expensive than the i5s.

byteninja2 said:
but what I heard is that ivy is being way over hyped, and it will actually be pretty simaler to sandy
There's going to be a 10% performance gain or thereabouts. The Sandy Bridge architecture will hold up for at least another few years for the average user. Even people who bought Core 2 Quads 3-4 years ago still use them now for gaming, they had ever-lasting value, the same applies for Sandy Bridge.

byteninja2 said:
now 2 cores is low, 4 cores is standard, 6 cores are hi end
Yeah but games don't utilize the power of the hex-core CPUs, meaning you'd be wasting your money if you went for a hex-core CPU over a quad-core if the hex was more expensive. The quad-core i5s still beat the Phenom II X6 and FX-6100s in most scenarios, again, due to architecture. A quad-core is going to be viable for a long time yet, people still use dual-cores perfectly.

byteninja2 said:
Did you watch the video I showed you
No sorry, will look at it later when I've got some more time. Trying to get ready for school right now.

byteninja2 said:
Is that msi motherboard a lot better than the ASRock? Could you reccomended me a good z77 board under $120?
ASRock boards are good, remember ASRock are a sub-brand of ASUS.

For under 120 bucks, something like this Gigabyte will be your best bet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128543

I think I will get an ivy i5, also, I think I will stick with the msi board unless that gigabyte actually is better, because the msi, ummm..., looks better. :) Ha, your going to school, I should be asleep, 2 am in the morning here.

Yeah, I'm looking at that one. Is it a good one? I believe oc genie would be great to have. Also, msi click bios is pretty nice.

spirit

Staff member
Most of the boards have UEFI BIOSes these days, they're not really anything to crow about. My ASUS has one and it's nice to have, but the cursor moves too slow for my liking. :/

Yes that looks like a good board for the price. You can get it for $99 after a mail-in rebate.

2048Megabytes

Hopefully there won't be problems at the release of IvyBridge technology like there was with SandyBridge at release. The chipsets needed repairs at SandyBridge release.

I fought the z77 chipset was made for ivy? That msi is an z77. Also, I should get it within 4 months, that is if my pc business works out. If it doesn't, I'm going back to $200.

Machin3

You'll be make a great choice with going with a intel sandy bridge or ivy bridge over AMD. You may not see it now, but you don't need that AMD fx series processor. I run a 2550k and no matter what the specs say, I always shred every game. It'll future proof you so much more than an AMD processor ever will.

Well, I must say machine, you sound very much like an Intel fanboy. I like tons of cores, did you know microsoft flight simulator reccomends a 6 core and above?

spirit

Staff member
byteninja2 said:
did you know microsoft flight simulator reccomends a 6 core and above?
Rubbish. I played it at 70 FPS at ultra at 1920x1080 on an i3 2120 with a GTX 560 Ti, and the i3 2120 is a dual-core CPU with 2 hyper-threaded cores, but HT doesn't make much of a difference in games. I also played it very nicely on an i5 760 which is a quad-core CPU. When FSX was released in 2006, hex-cores weren't on the consumer market. I don't think the Core 2 Quad had even been released. The best thing at the time was probably the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and I believe that was a dual-core. :/

Machin3 said:
You'll be make a great choice with going with a intel sandy bridge or ivy bridge over AMD. You may not see it now, but you don't need that AMD fx series processor.
As a 2500K owner, I can honestly say that I can agree with this. The 2500K and the i5 2xxx chips in general are fantastic value for money and even though Ivy Bridge is now just days away, Sandy Bridge will remain viable for a very long time.

Machin3

Well, I must say machine, you sound very much like an Intel fanboy. I like tons of cores, did you know microsoft flight simulator reccomends a 6 core and above?

Its not about being a fanboy. Its about performance and getting your money's worth. I've owned 3 AMD chips in the past, 965 B.E, 1090T, and FX-8150. Honestly, they don't really compare in performance to an intel.

And microsoft "recommends" a quad core intel cpu not a six core. It only recommends a six core AMD cpu. and if you look at the minimum specs, they are pretty low. Its a six core AMD because its the same performance as an intel i7 quad core last generation 1366 socket.

2048Megabytes

The reasons I stay with Advanced Micro Devices is I do not need more processing power than the Phenom II Quad-Core gives. If AMD fails you can bet processor prices will go sky high.

Some Quad-Core Socket 1155 processors have 40 percent more processing power than a Phenom II 980.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203850/
"Recommended:

Processor:Intel® Core™ i7 960 @ 3.20GHz, AMD® Phenom™ II X6 1100T 3.3 GHz
Memory:6 GB RAM
Graphics:ATI Radeon™ HD 5870, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive:15 GB HD space
Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection"

Read for yourself.

spirit

Staff member
Oh sorry, you're talking about Flight on STEAM? I was on about FSX! You shouldn't need an i7 960 just to run Flight, that's just ridiculous. The 5870/GTX 560 I can kind of see though.