CPU choice for single thread?

ballzac

Are the cables in the HDD cage in the way of the fan in the front? You may wanna try stuffing those extra cables either behind the mobo or behind the CD drive cage.

Mid 60s is pretty high for not overclocking. The dot-in-the-middle technique is more for AMD CPUs since the cooler basically is only touching the CPU. With intel, its a little lower so the way arctic silver recommends is the link I posted. That may be just for that particular thermal paste, but it may apply to all the other ones too.

I would definitely reapply or try a different technique. There's no way you should be getting that high of temps with that massive heatsink. Once you remove the heatsink, you will have to remove the paste using isopropyl alcohol or a thermal paste remover and reapply.
Cheers. I have some IPA, so I'll give it a shot and report back.

Okedokey

85oC will kill your chip.

You shouldn't need to raise the voltage at all to hit 4.5GHz, which is where I would aim for with that chip. The extra 200MHz will make minimal difference.

ballzac

Forgot to add, if you have a coffee filter, use that to clean it. Doesn't leave behind any fibers.
Yeah, I read that in the pdf you linked to. Cheers :)

85oC will kill your chip.

You shouldn't need to raise the voltage at all to hit 4.5GHz, which is where I would aim for with that chip. The extra 200MHz will make minimal difference.
I gather that the fact that it hit 85 briefly will not be a problem in the long run. I mean, if I let it sit at 85 for a few days then I'm sure it wouldn't be good, but if it hasn't killed it already, I'm hoping it means that the chip is fine :confused:

So, it turned out that I had put way too little paste. Even though I had spread it evenly on the cpu, it had only contacted the heatsink in a semicirle around the outside of the chip, completely missing the crucial part where the cores are. So I cleaned it up and followed the instructions linked to by claptonman (thanks again :) ). It's now running at 4.4GHz with 1.32v and the temperature of the cores is averaging about 55C under full load with prime95. The fan isn't even at full speed :D

I might increase it to 4.5GHz and not bother going higher, as suggested by bigfella. Thanks again guys. Really, really happy now :)

Okedokey

Good, I thought it seemed too high. Have you tried the 4.5GHz without voltage raised?

BTW, Tcase for that chip is 72.6oC, don't go over that or you will kill it.

ballzac

Good, I thought it seemed too high. Have you tried the 4.5GHz without voltage raised?
Prior to sorting out the cooler, I was unable to get it to 4.5 with the voltage any lower than 1.35v without getting BSOD. Are you implying that keeping the cpu at lower temps might actually cause the chip to be more stable at lower voltages? Or am I going to get the same results as before if I try to turn the multiplier up without increasing the vcore?

ballzac

Good, I thought it seemed too high. Have you tried BTW, Tcase for that chip is 72.6oC, don't go over that or you will kill it.
From what I understand, Tcase isn't what is being measured in the OS, but instead TJ. TJ may be reading 70 but Tcase is still at 50. This would mean that the temps being read can reach much higher without the Tcase going over its max of 72.

I don't know if that's right, but that's my understanding.