CPU Overheating

wasiu0607

PC eye said:
When the original pad went on a stock setup on that old Atholon XP3200+ the next step was to try one of the third party HSFs. The temps went down from a 61C at idle and upto 73C with a good load to 39C idle with 46C with a heavy load on it. But you may also have a Windows or memory issue if you are still not getting to the desktop normally. It wouldn't hurt to run a good memory tester like memtest.

No i can get to desktop safely, but it just seems like my computer auto-shuts down after a minute of starting (It takes me less than a minute to get to desktop). I could idle the computer in BIOS for a minute, and it would shut down by itself due to Thermal Event (Overheating). Since it clearly states that, Im assuming it has nothing to do with memory, because this is the error I get when my CPU overheats. However, I could be wrong...

But I really need a solution, this overheating is driving me CRAZYYY.

Thanks a lot!

PC eye

banned
Since your cpu temps have dropped down to a reasonable amount for a stock HSF while far from ideal your shutoff settings in the bios itself could be set too low where you are seeing it shutdown at 48C instead of a higher temp like 55C. Besides a look at the setting there one method often used is pointing a small fan at the inside of the case with the side panel off. If you see a noticable difference then you may have an overheating chipset or simply a clogged or dead fan on the sink itself. Did you blow the dust and dirt out of the case and fans when you had it open?

wasiu0607

PC eye said:
Since your cpu temps have dropped down to a reasonable amount for a stock HSF while far from ideal your shutoff settings in the bios itself could be set too low where you are seeing it shutdown at 48C instead of a higher temp like 55C. Besides a look at the setting there one method often used is pointing a small fan at the inside of the case with the side panel off. If you see a noticable difference then you may have an overheating chipset or simply a clogged or dead fan on the sink itself. Did you blow the dust and dirt out of the case and fans when you had it open?

Yep, right now I've got the side panels off and I do not notice anything. The fan is working properly, ive dusted off the dirty particles from the fan and heatsink. I've added a drop more AS5 but it's not doing the job, still overheating. :confused:

PC eye

banned
What are you seeing now for an idling temp? Once you put about a pea sized drop of AS5 on the center of the cpu itself that's all you should need. The drop in temps shows that reseating the sink already did it's job. It's starting to look like another problem besides the cpu itself maybe causing this. If you have a cap going bad in the supply that would cause shutdowns but not high temp readings. So that would be ruled out.
Do you have a small window fan if not smaller to get air moving through it? If that doesn't cool it enough to run normal either your cpu or chipset maybe failing. On one case the cpu actually ended up cooking the board itself. Shut it down for the night! Let it cool overnight to get back into the bios to check the shutdown temp setting there first when before everything gets warmed up. Just before firing it up make sure you got the HSF back on correctly with no liftup on any side just to be sure it didn't pop up on you.

wasiu0607

How do i check the shut-down temperture before i warm things up? Also, what do you mean when you said I have a cap going bad in the supply?

I only have 1 fan, and that is the fan for CPU. It's been like this for about 8 months now.

wasiu0607

How do i check the shut-down temperture before i warm things up? Also, what do you mean when you said I have a cap going bad in the supply?

I only have 1 fan, and that is the fan for CPU. It's been like this for about 8 months now.

PC eye

banned
When you first powerup after letting it cool down overnight you enter the bios right away to look at the advanced or other section to find if the board has a manual setting for a max temp. Most newer boards have an automatic overheating protection circuit there to protect the system by shutting when any temps go too high. This protects the system from permanent damages.

On some newer boards still the system shutdown can still be set manually. Before the cpu reaches that you would brring that setting up to higher temp. But setting it higher then 55C would not be advised. If you get that high then you know that temps are going up too far again. As far as caps those are capacitors(round cylinders often in supplies next to ttransformer) that temporarily holds a charge temporarily until the main current drops. The cap then discharges by seeing it charge of electrons flow in the opposite direction.
Without giving a long speech that's the basics.
The concern here now if the setting for shutdown was well above your temps or the shutdown is controlled only by the overheat protection you may have one of two main problems. Your cpu is failing causing temps to rise due to it now failing or the temp sensor on the board itself is throwing everything off.
With the reseat and cleaning of the HSF seeing the temps fall within reason you should have seen an immediate improvement. If something on the board itself is failing. Do you have the manual handy? That will show if there is a manual setting for overheat shutdown settings. With the sink correctly reseated with AS5 and the fan cleaned and running strong the only other thing that could goof up the works here is the loss of programming information in the bios where the battery is letting go early or a chip itself is on the way out. Shut it down, let it sit for at least a few hours, inspect the HSF for any lifted corners, and read the manual to see if you have a manual shutdown setting before powering it up again. Having a $2- spare battery won't hurt either in the rare event that is weakening.

wasiu0607

Thank you for helping me all the way through, I really appreciate it.

Im not sure if my PC has the manual shutdown setting, as it was hand built by my friend. It's an Intel D865PERL motherboard with the P4 3.0E ghz processor. What do I do if I don't have the manual shutdown setting and I can't change the max temperture? Is there an alternative way of changing the temperture?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010590.htm offers a few things to look into on that model board. But another thought comes to mind about voltage settings as well as a few other things including something possibly going on the board itself if not the bios programming now giving off a false reading. The best thing in the meantime is let it cool down if it is actually building heat and review the advice seen at the Intel link.

wasiu0607

Well i've let the PC cool off with the side panel off near a window... Now when I first turned it on, the processor temperture was at 29C (according to BIOS). Then it slowly got up to around 45C. I thought everything was going great since i could get to desktop, so I downloaded PC Wizard 2006, and it read less than 35C for processor temperture. I started a game just to see how much the temperture will raise to, but it freezes, so I restart computer and went to BIOS and found that the processor temperture was at 50C. Then a second later, it automatically shuts down again.

It seems that the computer auto-shuts down when I play games. Is there a way to override this setting (Auto-shutdown at X c) and change it to a higher temperture? I'm using the Intel BIOS. My other comp is AMD Anthlon and it has the Phoenix BIOS which has the feature.

Edit:
I think PC Wizard 2006 shows some inaccuracy... Right now, the Chasis fan is at 10384 rpm, but when I refresh it, it turns to 3000 rpm, then 5000 rpm, it's always a different digit. Also, the processor is at 28c, mainboard at 41c, and Power/Aux at 34c. Could it be something else that is causing it to over-heat instead of the processor?

Edit:
Now another problem is coming up. I turned it on for about 5 minutes, and all of a sudden, the screen turns blank. I tried resetting the PC and it still turned blank. I hit the power switch and turn off the PC and then start it again, then it worked for about 10 seconds, then turned blank again.
Thanks

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
At this point you could be running into a cpu or board failure. With it shutting down when loading the cpu with a game and now not even booting to the desktop with immediate shutdowns you could try a different even older processor if you had one available to see if the system would run normal. If you saw the same problems that would point at the board itself giving faulty readings through it's sensors. Right now it's a toss up between board and cpu. If it is the cpu you could easily damage the board as well.

rars222

wasiu0607 said:
Thank you for helping me all the way through, I really appreciate it.

Im not sure if my PC has the manual shutdown setting, as it was hand built by my friend. It's an Intel D865PERL motherboard with the P4 3.0E ghz processor. What do I do if I don't have the manual shutdown setting and I can't change the max temperture? Is there an alternative way of changing the temperture?

Did I read earlier that you don't have any case fans? That processor (if it's a Prescott) is well-documented to run hot.

I have the same set up w/ 4 case fans & I still run hot w/ the stock setup & was actually reading this post to find advice on what to replace the stock heatsink & fan with.

Get some case fans & replace the stock before you fry the thing....

Great advicee on AC5 btw

magicman

VIP Member
Wasiu0607 contacted me via Messenger last night, and asked me to troubleshoot with him. It turns out he used almost a whole syringe of AS5, very messy stuff (he showed me pics). We reapplied the correct amount and tried to rule out heatsink problems.

It is hard for me to work out which, but I agree it could either be a cpu or a board faliure. The board was crashing in the bios, but after unplugging all optical and hard drives, it successfully entered the bios, and we were able to see the temperature rise to 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, then it died.

I suggested trying a replacement cpu, I think it may be damaged, I have been having similar overheating problems with a damaged GPU at present, damaged by a voltage issue with a faulty mobo. I think he's going to get a technician out to see him as well.

wasiu0607

Ya thanks a lot to Magicman for staying up late at night with me on trying to fix my own issues and told me that I was applying way too much AS5, or else I wouldn't have know.

However, I'm trying everything to convince my mind that it's not a cpu/motherboard failure. This morning, I tried turning it back on with only a DDR400 512 Ram (I had a DDR333 and DDR400), and it froze in BIOS, so I tried putting in the DDR333 as well and it didn't freeze this time. I was able to get to desktop, so I downloaded Intel Active Monitor, and it monitored about 45c for my processor, which is in the healthy zone according to the program. I think it's pretty accurate because it read about the same temperture in PC Wizard 2006, BIOS as well. Well after about 10 minutes, the PC automatically shutted down in desktop while I was running memtest. I rebooted and the Thermal Event (Overheating) came up again. Could it be my grafics card that's overheating? Or is it still cpu/mobo failure?

*Edit
The temperture at which the PC died was no more than 50c (cpu).
Cheers =)

While 50ºC is a little warm, it won't shut your computer down. So your CPU definately isn't overheating (on this occasion, anyway). Your memory may be overheating, I'd look in to that. You say you got in to desktop before, then it shut off. You started it right up again, and it told you it was overheating. Try letting it cool down for say 30 minutes, and starting it up again. Do that each time you have to start up again, and see if it makes a difference. If it does, something's definately overheating. If it doesn't, you have a faulty component.

PC eye

banned
An overheating video card can easily knock you out of the game with a sudden lock or restart of the system. But that generally happens when a good load has also been placed on the cpu like gaming or another big app. At this point it points more at the chipset or memory since you saw a difference when dimms were swapped out. It could also be one then one thing causing this. I've seen faulty memory as well as an overheating cpu cause these kinds of problems. The 50C at idle is a little above what you would want to see. But with no big load on it something else is at fault here.

wasiu0607

Ok I tried booting it up until it shutted down again, then waiting for about an hr and rebooting it. It says CPU is overheating. BIOS reported about 47c for processor. Will buying a better fan fix this problem? Or do I have to replace the CPU? I doubt it's anything else that's causing this problem since it clearly stated that the CPU was causing the overheating.

magicman

VIP Member
The fan you showed me in the pics was more than sufficient to cool the chip. My best guess is that buying a new fan will make very little difference.