Creating a basic server-based network.

Novice2000

I would like to create a basic server-based network at home to mess around with. Say I have 2 computers and also have Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional to create this network. My questions are as follows:

1. What do you do on the server's end so the server can see the client/workstation computer's?

2. What do you do on the client/workstation computers so they can be seen by the server?

Extra Question: Also, can I use other OSs besides 2000 Pro for clients?

Geoff

VIP Member
Well what do you want the server to do? Do you want it to just be a file server, or do you want to setup active directory, DHCP, DNS, etc?

And yes, you can use computers with other OS's besides Windows 2000.

Novice2000

[-0MEGA-];1114289 said:
Well what do you want the server to do? Do you want it to just be a file server, or do you want to setup active directory, DHCP, DNS, etc?

And yes, you can use computers with other OS's besides Windows 2000.

Uh, well, I don't know. I guess just a file server. My main purpose is to mess around with it so I can get experience setting up and maintaining networks.

brian

VIP Member
Uh, well, I don't know. I guess just a file server. My main purpose is to mess around with it so I can get experience setting up and maintaining networks.

If you want to learn that... then i would say installing and configuring DHCP, DNS and Active dirrectory are a good start. I would do this on a "test bed" dont connect it to the interent, just so you get a hang of what everything does.

Novice2000

If you want to learn that... then i would say installing and configuring DHCP, DNS and Active dirrectory are a good start. I would do this on a "test bed" dont connect it to the interent, just so you get a hang of what everything does.

Ok, so what are the steps of doing this stuff? And most importantly, like in my original post, what do I do on the server's end for it to see the client computer and what do I do on the client computer so it can be seen by the server?

brian

VIP Member
well i would first start with dhcp and dns (because you need both for the AD). so you want to go into the server manager and install dhcp and dns. I dont know the exact steps because i have not worked with 2000. You can look over http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/2000/default.aspx Then mess around with it, after you should be able to install AD from the same spot you installed dhcp and dns. then after you install it you have to run "dcpromo.exe" from the run bar. and that will take you through the setup. For a domain name, you can chose anything that ends with .local.

Last edited:

Novice2000

well i would first start with dhcp and dns (because you need both for the AD). so you want to go into the server manager and install dhcp and dns. I dont know the exact steps because i have not worked with 2000. You can look over http://www.livescribe.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/LDApp.woa/wa/MLSOverviewPage?sid=zQK075DTXrXR Then mess around with it, after you should be able to install AD from the same spot you installed dhcp and dns. then after you install it you have to run "dcpromo.exe" from the run bar. and that will take you through the setup. For a domain name, you can chose anything that ends with .local.

Thanks for the info. Let me give you a rundown on what I have done so far. We can all create this network together, like a class project. *insert icon of a smiley jumping up and down and clapping here*. It will be fun. Ok, here's what I have done so far.

Ok, I installed the OSs (2000 Server on one and 2000 Professional on the other), and physically connected both computers together with a Intellinet 5 port 10/100 soho switch. I went into "My Network Places" on both computers and neither computer can see the other. In "My Network Places" I have 3 icons. They are "Add Network Place", "Entire Network", and "Computers Near Me".

In "Entire Network" and "Computers Near Me", there is nothing when I open them. I even created a shared folder on the desktop of each computer and even those are not detected by the other computer. The lights for each computer are lit on the switch, so the switch must obviously be detecting the computers.

Also, on the 2000 Server computer I have a window that popped up called "Windows 2000 Configure Your Server".

Will going into the server manager and installing dhcp and dns and then the AD, like you suggested above finally allow these computers to see each other?

P.S. the link you gave me above shows your history notes. ???????:confused: Did you give me the wrong link or something?

Last edited:

DizzlyDood

Thanks for the info. Let me give you a rundown on what I have done so far. We can all create this network together, like a class project. *insert icon of a smiley jumping up and down and clapping here*. It will be fun. Ok, here's what I have done so far.

Ok, I installed the OSs (2000 Server on one and 2000 Professional on the other), and physically connected both computers together with a Intellinet 5 port 10/100 soho switch. I went into "My Network Places" on both computers and neither computer can see the other. In "My Network Places" I have 3 icons. They are "Add Network Place", "Entire Network", and "Computers Near Me".

In "Entire Network" and "Computers Near Me", there is nothing when I open them. I even created a shared folder on the desktop of each computer and even those are not detected by the other computer. The lights for each computer are lit on the switch, so the switch must obviously be detecting the computers.

Also, on the 2000 Server computer I have a window that popped up called "Windows 2000 Configure Your Server".

Will going into the server manager and installing dhcp and dns and then the AD, like you suggested above finally allow these computers to see each other?

P.S. the link you gave me above shows your history notes. ???????:confused: Did you give me the wrong link or something?

In order for the computers to see each other they need to be in the same workgroup or domain. Reading the earlier posts it looks like you want to use AD so you're going to need setup your domain and join the other computer to it.

brian

VIP Member

ahaha. Whoops, yeah wrong link, my copy paste is not working to well.

Next, yes you need to install dhcp and dns for the computers to see each other. For now you dont need to install AD, you can get to that later.

the link was meant to be http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/2000/default.aspx It is hard to navigate but it has great info!

Novice2000

ahaha. Whoops, yeah wrong link, my copy paste is not working to well.

Next, yes you need to install dhcp and dns for the computers to see each other. For now you dont need to install AD, you can get to that later.

the link was meant to be http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/2000/default.aspx It is hard to navigate but it has great info!

Thanks for the link. But before I navigate through it, do you know off hand if I need to go to that "Windows 2000 Configure Your Server" window, which popped up when I first started it, to install the dhcp and the dns? And oh, where is that server manager you were talking about. I looked all over for it, but I can't find it.

Novice2000

Ok, I'm going to have to ask you questions as I'm going along here. First, I haven't tried installing dns or dhcp yet. I wanted to start with first making them part of the same workgroup, because I heard that this might allow them to see each other. So I tried it. Here's what happened:

Alright, I gave them both the same workgroup name, but they don't see each other. They did for a little while but now they don't, and when they did see each other, I couldn't access the other. Let me tell you what happened.

First, I gave them both the workgroup name "HOME". The computer with 2000 server was able to see the other computer in "Computers Near Me", but when I would double-click on the icon to access its resources, I got a window asking for the network password.

As far as the other computer, the one with 2000 Professional, I couldn't even open "Computers Near Me". Every time I tried to open "Computers Near Me", I kept getting a message wich said the following:

WORKGROUP IS NOT ACCESIBLE

THE LIST OF SERVERS FOR THIS WORKGROUP IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE

I kept rebooting the computers to see if that would help, but it didn't. Then I changed the workgroup name for both of them to "WORKGROUP". Now they won't see each other at all. They only see themselves in "Computers Near Me". I double checked to make sure that the workgroup names are spelled correctly, they are. I kept rebooting both of them. I even completely shut both of them down and even uplugged the switch and waited a while. Then I plugged in the switch and restarted the computers. They still won't see each other. They only see themselves. What's happening?

brian

VIP Member
That's because you need to have dhcp and dns installed. Without it they dont get any IP address which is needed to see each other. If you really dont want to install dhcp, you can give them a static ip; go into the network cards, and hit properties. Then head to tcp/ip and hit properties. select manual address and type something along the lines of 192.168.1.50 for computer A and 192.168.1.51 for computer B. For both the netmask will be 255.255.255.0 and default gateway you can leave blank (I take it you dont have this connected to the Internet) And ok out if it. To connect to computer A use its IP address

Novice2000

That's because you need to have dhcp and dns installed. Without it they dont get any IP address which is needed to see each other. If you really dont want to install dhcp, you can give them a static ip; go into the network cards, and hit properties. Then head to tcp/ip and hit properties. select manual address and type something along the lines of 192.168.1.50 for computer A and 192.168.1.51 for computer B. For both the netmask will be 255.255.255.0 and default gateway you can leave blank (I take it you dont have this connected to the Internet) And ok out if it. To connect to computer A use its IP address

Ok, I'll install dhcp and dns next. I want to do this exactly how you tell me to. But you are right, I am not connected to the internet. I have both of these computers connected directly to each other through an Intellinet 5 port 10/100 soho switch. Do I need to be connected to the internet to be able to use dhcp and dns? Before I install dhcp and dns, I'll wait until I receive your next reply to know whether I need to be connected to the internet for this.

Like I said, I will be asking you questions as I go through all of this step-by-step, so don't go too far away. :)

Also, what is the difference between a switch, a router and a hub? Should I be using anything other than a switch?

Also, I didn't quite understand the last 2 sentences in your last post above. Can you rephrase those?

brian

VIP Member
Ok, You dont need to be connected to the Internet, in fact i recommend you leave it like you have it. Then you will not mess up your internet connection by installing dhcp and dns.

Since you seem a bit confused about what both of those are... Dhcp is like a identifier. It will give out a address like a houses that the Internet uses to route traffic. Without it it would be like not having a house number, your mail will not be delivered. DNS is to route trafic from domain names to their IP address. So lets say you have a domain, google.com. your computer then translates that into a IP, 1.2.3.4.
That is a very basic example of both, wikipedia has more info if you really want to know.

Next the difference between a router, hub and a switch... Hub and switch are closely related. However Hubs these days have died off. You will mostly see switched; but a hub is a "dumb switch". A switch however will just "switch" traffic between ports. It allows you to expand your network. One of the most important things to know (in most standard cases) is you need to have a router to have a switch. Which brings me to what a router is. A router is more of a all-in-one. It has DHCP installed (sometimes DNS forwarder), and a built in switch, (and for most home users wireless built in as well).

For the last two sentences, i was telling you how to connect the two computers together if you dont have DHCP. Since you do, you dont need to follow that. All you have to do is setup the DHCP range if you haven't already. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kdhcpc.html This page does a great job of telling you what to do. Go all the way down till it says to authorise it. Do that step but dont do the next few. They are not needed.

I would also set a static for your server. This makes it easier. Use http://harrychanputra.wordpress.com...-static-ip-addres-on-a-windows-2000-computer/ Skip to step 5 and go till step 8. In step 8, dont use the inputs they have, use 192.168.1.1 for ip address, 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 for the default gateway.

Once you do all that, then you should be able to go over to the workstation, go to start>run and type cmd. Then in the command prompt type ipconfig /all and look to the top. your computer should be getting an ip address of 192.168.1.50. If you do, then you can ping 192.168.1.1 and you should get replies which means your connected properly.

Novice2000

One of the most important things to know (in most standard cases) is you need to have a router to have a switch.

Does that mean that the switch I am using won't work since I don't have a router hooked up to these 2 computers, or will the switch be OK to connect these 2 computers without a router? Or should I use a router to connect these 2 computers to each other? Or should I use a hub?

For the last two sentences, i was telling you how to connect the two computers together if you dont have DHCP. Since you do, you dont need to follow that.

Actually I don't have DHCP on the server. You recommended above that I leave it the way it is so I won't mess up my internet connection. Do you want me to install the DHCP and DNS on my server? To show you exactly what I have, I did the ipconfig /all command on both of my computers, the workstation/client and the server. Here are the results of that:

2000 professional computer (workstation/client)
IP address: 10.0.0.3
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: Nothing
DHCP server: 10.10.1.1
DNS servers: 10.10.1.1
(A couple lines above the IP address, for DHCP Enabled, it says Yes)

2000 server computer (server)
IP address: 10.10.1.1
DNS servers: 127.0.0.1
(A couple lines above the IP address, for DHCP Enabled, it says No)

The server has a static IP address and doesn't have DHCP enabled. The workstation has a dynamic IP address and does have DHCP enabled. I'll wait for your response before I go any further. I want to take my time and do everything slowly, step-by-step so I don't screw anything up.

brian

VIP Member
Does that mean that the switch I am using won't work since I don't have a router hooked up to these 2 computers, or will the switch be OK to connect these 2 computers without a router? Or should I use a router to connect these 2 computers to each other? Or should I use a hub?

Well what your doing is more advance then most cases. So yes it is fine.

Actually I don't have DHCP on the server. You recommended above that I leave it the way it is so I won't mess up my internet connection. Do you want me to install the DHCP and DNS on my server? To show you exactly what I have, I did the ipconfig /all command on both of my computers, the workstation/client and the server. Here are the results of that:

2000 professional computer (workstation/client)
IP address: 10.0.0.3
DHCP server: 10.10.1.1
DNS servers: 10.10.1.1
(A couple lines above the IP address, for DHCP Enabled, it says Yes)

2000 server computer (server)
IP address: 10.10.1.1
DNS servers: 127.0.0.1
(A couple lines above the IP address, for DHCP Enabled, it says No)

The server has a static IP address and doesn't have DHCP enabled. The workstation has a dynamic IP address and does have DHCP enabled. I'll wait for your response before I go any further. I want to take my time and do everything slowly, step-by-step so I don't screw anything up.

Well looking at the ip of the workstation, it is telling me you have DHCP installed. And since you dont have the computers connected to the Internet i said you should be fine doing what ever you want.... Anyway since both computers have a good ip. Try pinging 10.10.1.1

Novice2000

Well what your doing is more advance then most cases. So yes it is fine.

Well looking at the ip of the workstation, it is telling me you have DHCP installed. And since you dont have the computers connected to the Internet i said you should be fine doing what ever you want.... Anyway since both computers have a good ip. Try pinging 10.10.1.1

Ok. I pinged the server, 10.10.1.1 from the workstation. This is what I got:

Pinging 10.10.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination Host Unreachable

Ping Statistics for 10.10.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4, (100% Loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

brian

VIP Member
Thats really odd. Both computers do have a good ip address, pinging it should have worked.

What i would try is to set a static address to the client computer of 10.10.1.2 and try pinging again. If that fails, then there is something wrong.

Novice2000

Thats really odd. Both computers do have a good ip address, pinging it should have worked.

What i would try is to set a static address to the client computer of 10.10.1.2 and try pinging again. If that fails, then there is something wrong.

Ok, that worked. 4 packets sent, 4 packets received, 0 packets lost, 0% loss. Why do you think it didn't work before?

Ok, now they are seeing each other, but I can't access the other. When I double-click the icon of the other computer in "Computer Near Me" under "My Network Places", it asks me for a network password and username. Why is it doing this? Why won't it let me access these computers?