Creating a basic server-based network.

brian

VIP Member
I dont know why it wouldn't work before. It had a good subnet.

Anyway, try entering the administrators password. If you didn't set one yet, set one by going start>right click my computer>manage>users and groups>users>right click administrator>set password

You can turn that off i believe by going to the shared folder, right click it and go to preferences. Then share, and if there is a security button or something, you should be able to add Everyone to it which will not ask for a password. (i believe)

Novice2000

I dont know why it wouldn't work before. It had a good subnet.

Anyway, try entering the administrators password. If you didn't set one yet, set one by going start>right click my computer>manage>users and groups>users>right click administrator>set password

You can turn that off i believe by going to the shared folder, right click it and go to preferences. Then share, and if there is a security button or something, you should be able to add Everyone to it which will not ask for a password. (i believe)

I went into the shared folders on both computers and added everyone. It didn't change anything, I was still asked for a network password.

Something really wierd is going on though. I already do have a password that I use to log onto the server. I used it to on the server to access the client computer, but it wouldn't let me. It still said that the password was incorrect. But when I used my server password on the workstation/client to access the server, it allowed me to.

What do you think is going on and why can't I access the server from the workstation?

Novice2000

I would have to say it has something to do with permissions but I dont know for sure.

I am thinking that it maybe has something to do with me not having a user profile on the workstation. On the server I do have one, the administator, which also has a password. I'm going to create a user on the workstation and give him a password.

I have one more question for you Brian. Well, maybe one more. Is this a peer-to-peer network that I just created? My main objective is to create a server-based network so I can learn how to set-up and maintain server-based networks. This is good though because the two computers are starting to see each other. If this is a peer-to-peer network that I just put together, what do I have to do now to make it a server-based network? And thanks for all your help and patience bud.

Last edited:

Novice2000

I have a couple more questions which I posted in post #25. I wanted to know if this is a peer-to-peer network that I just created, and if so, how I can make it a server-based network now. Can anyone help me with this?

brian

VIP Member
Sorry, forgot to check back up...

I would think it would be a server-based network, but I'm not sure. I haven't heard of the terms before.

shempf

p2p mean directly connected (read no server). So if you have the PC/node connected to the Server (directly...literally) then it's a p2p (not the best/most efficient way imo)
I'm sure google can answer most questions. It's like a Network Admin. course online, self-paced.

DizzlyDood

I have a couple more questions which I posted in post #25. I wanted to know if this is a peer-to-peer network that I just created, and if so, how I can make it a server-based network now. Can anyone help me with this?

In Microsoft terms a domain has a domain controller, the DCPROMO command you ran. That installs active directory which is used to manage user, permissions and multitudes of other things. In most cases a P2P network is simply setup as a workgroup.

Novice2000

In Microsoft terms a domain has a domain controller, the DCPROMO command you ran. That installs active directory which is used to manage user, permissions and multitudes of other things. In most cases a P2P network is simply setup as a workgroup.

Actually, I didn't run DCPROMO. All I did was give both computers the same workgroup name. I think what I did was to create a peer-to-peer network. My main objective right away was to have both computers see each other. Like I said earlier, my main goal is to create a server-based network so I can learn to install and maintain server-based networks. One of the 2 computers does have a network operating system on it (2000 Server). The other computer does have a client operating system on it (2000 Professional). Is there anyway I can trouble you to tell me the steps I need to do in order to make this a server-based network? I would be extremely grateful. Thank you in advance.