D-SLR Shopping List - Critique please!

mx344

what are the prices of each over there?
If the Nikon d5100 is cheaper, get it. Little better low light, solid senor still.
If they are the sam price, I'd go for the 3200, newer, better res, and other goodies:D
They are really close in perfomance...

spirit

Staff member
Price wise they're about the same. D5100 is about £420 I think and the D3200 about £450. I had seen they were close in performance.

How does the 600D stack up the two? I had a look and it seems the Nikons are better, but would be a 600D also be good? It's about £470 I think.

Trying all these out tomorrow by the way in a shop. :)

spirit

Staff member
OK so why do you recommend the D5100 over the D3200? I see the 3200 has something like 24MP, a newer Expeed 3 processor and it is smaller and lighter? Is there going to be little benefit by having the extra stuff, so it would be better to save the money and put it somewhere else (external mic perhaps?)

mx344

Well for one, the 24mp is overkill, I have a 60D which is 18mp and I only use it for sports because it has alot of cropping power. Other than that I use the 12mp 5d, which is more than enough. So 16mp would be plenty good for you.(I started on a 300D which had 6.3mp, it did me well.)

the 5100 has better noise performance, due to the lesser mp count, each pixel site will soak in more light, resulting in less noise.(to be fair, its only slight but noticeable)

On the weight, you are going to want a heavier camera, because once you get some good quality glass on the front-end, its going to be HEAVY. You want to have as even of a balanced camera as you can.

The new processor, eh, may be a little faster, but again, I'm using a 7 year old camera and its no slouch. When it comes down to it, if it takes the shot well, that's all that matters.

You will be better off saving money for better lenses, that what will give you the best quality, the body is the smaller part of the picture. Or mic, what ever floats your boat lol:D:good:

spirit

Staff member
OK I went to the shop and tried out a few cameras today. Tried out a 650D, a D5100 and a D3200. Didn't think too much to the 650D, it was noisy, felt cheap, and it was expensive. Had a go with the D3200, didn't quite fit in my hands properly. The D5100 fit just fine and I quite liked the feel to it.

Brought the broucheres of all 3 home (and a 600D brouchere too), just reading through them.

16MP should be enough I reckon. I don't print my photos actually so that doesn't matter to me. Just thought 24MP may be.... nice. ;)

The D5100 is quite a bit cheaper though, so I'm probably gonna go with a D5100 I think.

The girl I spoke to in the shop seemed surprised that I preferred that I preferred the D5100 over the 650D, but she said that she liked Canons and owned a 5D herself. She said she'd employ me not to buy the 1100D, so I'm definitely staying away from that.

Last edited:

mx344

Sounds good!

Lmao, yeah, some people are so brand loyal...smh.

Thats good that you are worrying about how it feels in the hands, thats really important...one of the main reasons I went canon, it feels the better in the hands for me.:good:

Keep us updated!

spirit

Staff member
Sounds good!

Lmao, yeah, some people are so brand loyal...smh.

Thats good that you are worrying about how it feels in the hands, thats really important...one of the main reasons I went canon, it feels the better in the hands for me.:good:

Keep us updated!
Yeah the 650D felt nice and all in my hands, the body felt really good, the kit lens - eh felt a bit cheap, and the girl in the shop said that Canon's kit lenses weren't very good. The Nikon lens certainly felt better for me at least.

The D5100 fit better in my hands than the D3200 - D3200 felt a bit small and cramped.

D5100 it is!
Yeah I think so. Good too because the D5100 is cheaper than the D3200 and the 600D and the 650D!

Just need to get the rest of the money.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Just need to get the rest of the money.

And since you like zoom, sell your Fujifilm, your computer, one leg and your soul. Who knows you might get enough for a Nikkor 600mm f/4G.

spirit

Staff member
And since you like zoom, sell your Fujifilm, your computer, one leg and your soul. Who knows you might get enough for a Nikkor 600mm f/4G.

Haha don't think so! :D I'm going for the camera itself + the 18-55mm, a Nikon ME-1 mic, a Nikon ML-L3 remote, 1x Class 10 16GB card, 1x Class 10 32GB card and a LowerPro Nova Bag. Total cost is £577 but hey, it's cheaper than a 650D body + lens alone.

jonnyp11

was kidding, just throwing out the most expensive nikons for ya (well not the d3x or d4, those are rediculous)

spirit

Staff member
was kidding, just throwing out the most expensive nikons for ya (well not the d3x or d4, those are rediculous)

Yeah I wondered why you are suddenly going on about the D600 and the D800.

I'm gettin' a D5100 and the stuff I listed above. As the mic does bump the price up by £87, that may have to wait a little while, but as the remote is only like £4 and it works using infra-red, so no cables, I'll get it. May be useful. :)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yeah definitely don't get the mic yet, that's too expensive, you might find out you really don't want it.

mx344

Well if you wanna save a little bit of money, go with a slower sd card, you not going to notice a difference from the class 10 to 4 with that camera.