DDR 2 ram??

Geoff

VIP Member
You're getting the hang of it! Loosen up, lol. If the world ends tomorrow you're not going to want to say that the last fight you had was over RAM naming convention. Spice it up man.

But forgetting 2 altogether is a bit drastic don't you think? I mean where would the world be without 2? You've gone a bit overboard, Methinks, my friend....
So if I tell you I have RAM clocked at PC-5300. Are you going to "assume" that i'm talking about DDR2-667? What if I overclocked DDR until I reached DDR-667?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What if I overclocked DDR until I reached DDR-667?
Would never happen :p

Yes manufacturers say PC2 5300, DDR2-667, PC3200, PC2-3200, yadda yadda yadda. Still when someone says I'm looking for PC5300 do you go looking for 184pin DDR RAM? If I'm looking for PC100 do you look for DDR-12.7? :p Is it technically wrong to leave out the 2? Probably, but if everyone understands it to be implied does it really matter?

Geoff

VIP Member
Would never happen :p

Yes manufacturers say PC2 5300, DDR2-667, PC3200, PC2-3200, yadda yadda yadda. Still when someone says I'm looking for PC5300 do you go looking for 184pin DDR RAM? If I'm looking for PC100 do you look for DDR-12.7? :p Is it technically wrong to leave out the 2? Probably, but if everyone understands it to be implied does it really matter?
Then maybe it's me, but whenever I hear someone either talking or asking about RAM, they always say PC2.

What if were talking about the lower-end side, where both DDR and DDR2 have the same speed, such as PC3200 and PC2-3200. If we went by your philosophy, then they would simply say "I'm looking for some cheap PC3200 RAM for my LGA775 motherboard".

Jet

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];754510 said:
If we went by your philosophy, then they would simply say "I'm looking for some cheap PC3200 RAM for my LGA775 motherboard".

Which could be correct, depending on what motherboard you have ;).

Having said that, I personally always try and keep it PC or PC2 because of my preference of keeping things technically correct. It is the same cringe when people (including high end review sites) talk about "1333Mhz" FSB. Man, if they could just give me a computer with true 1333Mhz FSB, and a CPU to support it, I'd take it in a second ;)

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Which could be correct, depending on what motherboard you have ;).
lol, keyword being could.

I dont see how hard it is to add the extra "2" in there. That way if someone is asking on where to find RAM for instance, we wont have to ask if he means DDR and DDR2.

Jet

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];754516 said:
lol, keyword being could.

I dont see how hard it is to add the extra "2" in there. That way if someone is asking on where to find RAM for instance, we wont have to ask if he means DDR and DDR2.

I guess I edited my post while you were typing this one :D

Geoff

VIP Member
I guess I edited my post while you were typing this one :D
Ya you did, I replied the instant you posted :)

The whole confusion between FSB and bus speed has gotten everyone at least in some type of confusion. I know I was when CPU-Z said the FSB was 1066Mhz, when I thought that was the bus speed.

Now I know though that the FSB is 266Mhz (for my CPU), and the bus speed is 1066Mhz. I think the whole "FSB" labeling is a lot more confusion then PC and PC2 labeling.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
What if were talking about the lower-end side, where both DDR and DDR2 have the same speed, such as PC3200 and PC2-3200. If we went by your philosophy, then they would simply say "I'm looking for some cheap PC3200 RAM for my LGA775 motherboard".
You're right in that case it would be ambiguous. Except in the case of 400MHz modules the 2 or lack there-of is not implied because both standards exist. So if someone said "I'm looking for some cheap PC3200 RAM for my LGA775 motherboard" they are looking for 184pin DDR :)

Besides no one buys PC2-3200 anyway :p

edit:
I know I was when CPU-Z said the FSB was 1066Mhz
The real bugger with that is CPUz labels it as rated FSB which is technically correct but very misleading. I think it also lists 266MHz as the BUS speed right? That's just not right./

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
You're right in that case it would be ambiguous. Except in the case of 400MHz modules the 2 or lack there-of is not implied because both standards exist. So if someone said "I'm looking for some cheap PC3200 RAM for my LGA775 motherboard" they are looking for 184pin DDR :)

Besides no one buys PC2-3200 anyway :p

edit:
The real bugger with that is CPUz labels it as rated FSB which is technically correct but very misleading. I think it also lists 266MHz as the BUS speed right? That's just not right./
I know they have both DDR and DDR2 for LGA775, but if some of the newbies are told that everyone labels DDR2 RAM as PC ####, then he may say he's looking for PC-3200 RAM (example), when he's actually looking for PC2-3200.

And heres a screenshot from CPU-z:
SuperPi_OC.jpg

Sorry about having SuperPI in there, but it's the only shot I have.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I know they have both DDR and DDR2 for LGA775, but if some of the newbies are told that everyone labels DDR2 RAM as PC ####, then he may say he's looking for PC-3200 RAM (example), when he's actually looking for PC2-3200.
True enough. Still I don't think anyone buys PC2-3200 :p

As for the CPUz shot, they used to have it right, I don't know why it got changed. Maybe the marketers got to it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Is this 2 or 3 pages of thread-jacking now? :D :p I'd split it off but I can't here.
haha, yes we did.

Heres the original question:
"hi, i have a gigabyte GA-81945G mobo i know its DDR2 667MHZ but what is this EG: PC5400... and some others types"

I think we answered it already during our argument :p

Nightrain

Here is some really nice PC2-5400 ram for you. Its 2 x 1gb not sure if you need 2gb but if your running dual channel the 2 x 1gb will run "faster" than just 1gb of this ram and whatever other memory you currently have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145167

Corsair XMS 2x1gb for only $79.99

Good memory and cheap as well (ddr2 has dropped drastically since i bought it last lol)

Here you go twigy, incase you didn't read through both pages of that. High quality ram that should suit your needs and doesn't break the bank!