Ddr3

Geoff

VIP Member
The latencies have gotten faster, i'll give you that. But I've also seen tests from anandtech comparing low latency "enthusiast" RAM to higher latency "value" RAM. The tests were once again a surprise, The 2-3 points between the two types did not equate to significantly higher benchmarks, it was something like 5%.

So the tighter Ddr2 you can buy now, and the soon to came ddr3 would still fall short of it's expectations. I don't know why latency itself isn't a big performance point (System bus limitation?) But I do know that it's not as of yet, and that the RAM manufactures need to focus on something a bit more material.
I remember seeing benchmarks as well, and even though the difference is only a few FPS in games, it's still better :)

However the real performance advantage is in real memory-intensive apps.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];742582 said:
I remember seeing benchmarks as well, and even though the difference is only a few FPS in games, it's still better :)

However the real performance advantage is in real memory-intensive apps.

Can't argue with that. :)

I can't really argue with DDR3 either as it's probably going to be just as small a baby step as DDR2 was, regardless of mine and others bitching. Stupid corporate jackasses..
facts3.gif