decent laptop?

djjimmy2k2

i know i want to get a new computer before i go uni and i found one i was interested in getting but today i read alot of bad reviews about the company so i changed me mind. now after looking about for a bit and im kinda thinking about getting a laptop and a leaflet came in a newspaper i got today and ive found this one, its on the top end of my budget, but i think its kinda nice. im just wondering what everyone thinks about the specs compared to the price.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
- Intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology
- Intel® Pentium® M processor 735
Gotta love the way they play their marketing :p You only get one chip and the Pentium M is the same thing as the Centrino :p

Other than that its a pretty nice system :) ... would be nice to have the ram run 1:1 with the cpu but thats not horribly important

djjimmy2k2

well ive found out that that laptop is only available on offer for a week (started yesterday) and the bad news is that i went in today and i went in today and theyve only got 1 left, besides i dont get my uni money until the 20th of this month so ive kinda given up on that laptop and ive started looking around for another.

anyway, i went into another shop today and i found what i think is a decent spec laptop. its a hp and its £999 in the store (although on the same shops site its £949 - £50 cheaper). since i got back in ive checked out the hp site and ive found one for the same price, its got a different processor and different graphics card. now im here to ask for your opinion on how good both of the laptops are, if theyre worth the price and which you would recommend more (if either). btw, keep in mind that i want to play some games so ill probably need the best graphics card (although id prefer not to sacrifice performance by having a shared graphics card, i want whichever works out better though).

oops, forgot to put the links to the laptops, lol

these 2 are the hp site with full specs
HP Pavilion zv5230EA

HP Pavilion zv5255EA

and this one is the site of the shop i saw one of the laptops in today (maybe itll help, i dunno)
HP Pavilion zv5255EA (Shops Website)

Last edited:

djjimmy2k2

the send? im assuming you meant to type second in there. so you think the HP Pavilion zv5255EA (the one on the shops site/the one with the AMD Athlon™ 64 processor) is the best? so is it worth the price then? is it worth getting?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
send = second + Intel Laptop overheating (which means the keyboard lags out). To be honest i didnt look at the prices or anything past the first segment -- there's no reason to buy a mobile celeron....

1. Low budget = AthlonXP-Mobile
2. Medium Budget = Centrino2003
3. High budget = Centrino2004, Athlon64, etc

:)

djjimmy2k2

Praetor said:
1. Low budget = AthlonXP-Mobile
2. Medium Budget = Centrino2003
3. High budget = Centrino2004, Athlon64, etc

:)
ok i got that bit, understood that but i didnt really get a word of what you said before it, the
Praetor said:
send = second + Intel Laptop overheating (which means the keyboard lags out). To be honest i didnt look at the prices or anything past the first segment -- there's no reason to buy a mobile celeron....
bit, i didnt really understand, any chance you could try and put it another way, or maybe just simpler. if youre wondering why its cos i usually get a load of sleep but last night i had 3 hours so im a bit knackered, i need simpler terms in order for my brain to take it in.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but I didnt really get a word of what you said before it, the
Dont worry about it. Pretend i never said it. ... i was essentially saying i typed "second" but this POS laptop lags out when it gets hot so keystrokes get missed. ... btw if you force yourself to become an insomniac, it wont bother you so much (and i speak from experience :p)

djjimmy2k2

how do you know it lags out? also i read somewhere on the net about a guy who got a usb fan to keep his laptop cool, is there such a thing and if i do get that hp laptop should i invest in a usb fan?

oh and i have no intention of becoming an insomniac, its just that usually im kinda nocturnal but this morning i had to get up early, i guess that will have to change when i start uni.

and one more thing, what makes the second hp laptop win hands down over the first one?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
how do you know it lags out?
It doesnt respond for 10 minutes.

also I read somewhere on the net about a guy who got a usb fan to keep his laptop cool, is there such a thing and if I do get that hp laptop should I invest in a usb fan?
Yeah I ordered mine but im waiting friggen forever for it. http://www.xoxide.com/lapcool.html

oh and I have no intention of becoming an insomniac, its just that usually im kinda nocturnal but this morning I had to get up early, I guess that will have to change when I start uni.
heehee you wont have a choice :p

and one more thing, what makes the second hp laptop win hands down over the first one?
The CPU.

djjimmy2k2

oh cool, so you know what its actually like as a system. how about giving me a review of it, its features, how it is to work with, how reliable it is, how easy it is to use etc, anything you can think of that could help someone thinking about buying one. id be very grateful and youve already helped me a load so far :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno if we're talking about the same thing ... the one im on is a utter piece of crap..... anyone wanna buy it off me? :p

djjimmy2k2

ah i get it now, youre talking about intels lagging out, thats why the amd athlon laptop is the better choice, i get it. sorry but i already said about the lack of sleep last night and my brain not working properly. but now i understand it all.

so anyway, do you think that hp laptop is a good one to get or should i keep looking around for another?

Dave2k

i've spent a few days working with a team that was given the 64 processor laptops by hp. they're actually pretty badass, widescreens and such

Dave2k

Praetor said:
:D Yeah but widescreens have nothing to do with 64bit CPUs :p

haha
i was just saying that the particular model he was referencing is the one that a few users have. and that it was badass.

djjimmy2k2

video card?

with games that are being released now what is the amount of VRAM that a video card needs to deal with them? would 64Mb do or do most of them need 128Mb? the reason i ask is cos i plannin on gettin a laptop for university and the ones im looking at all have 64Mb (the card on the ones im interested in is the 64MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9700) and i was just wondering if i should go over my budget and invest in a laptop with the same model card but with 128Mb. i will have to go about £100 over compared to the 64Mb version, but that extra £100 will also get me 0.1GHz more of processor (its a centrino laptop), a subwoofer built into the laptop, and a DVD-RW that writes DVD-RAMs instead of a normal DVD-RW. to be honest gaming isnt THAT big a thing for me, sure i do play games and id like to use my laptop to play the lastest games (since my existing pc cant) but if i can play the ones being released now with a 64Mb card then im not that bothered about getting a 128Mb card. but if it would be a good investment to pay the extra £100 then i suppose i could stretch that far. opinions please.

Last edited: