decent laptop?

4W4K3

VIP Member
if your talking new games 128mb is really needed i thought. older games though should play fine on 64mb card. i can play splintercell and JK2 on a 64mb card just fine...but there a few years old and not the best graphics at all. i'd shoot for the 128mb card myself.

djjimmy2k2

well at least one game i wanna be able to play will be half-life 2, i love the first game so i at least need to play the as yet unreleased half-life 2. what will that require? 64Mb or 128Mb?

4W4K3

VIP Member
definetly 128mb...i thought u meant like newer games not NEWEST games lol. for those graphics and that engine you want a fast 128mb card.

djjimmy2k2

im actually thinking about an Acer now, ive looked around on the net and im kinda torn between the Aspire 2012WLMi (the second/last laptop on the linked page), Aspire 2023WLMi (the first laptop on the linked page), and the TravelMate 4501WLMi (the third/last laptop on the linked page)

the Aspire 2023WLMi is the best of the lot, best processor, graphics card and optical drive and its about £100 more so im wonderin if its worth the extra, if you look at my other thread youll see a discussion about which i should get (its mainly about which graphics card i should get), check it out and see if you can help.

djjimmy2k2

well i do want to play games that are quite recent and it would be nice to play games that are upcoming aswell, but most of the upcoming games arent that big a deal, i just wanna be able to play half-life 2 at least. so you think the extra £100 or so would be worth the higher spec?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. VRAM is no longer used, phased out by WRAM and then DDRSDRAM and its variants

2. If you're a serious gamer and/or someone who likes to play with settings-to-max, 128MB is the way to go regardless of laptop or not

3. Since it is a laptop (which is the only reason ive considered not moving the thread), i guess it comes down to finances as those suckers are bloody expensive

4. The investment is worth it (in my opinion)

5. Halflife 2 can be played on a GeForce3Ti200 -- interpret what y

ou will from that but i believe the GF3s were at most 32MB cards. If you want to push the game 64MB should be fine, 128MB probably overkill

6. Acer makes very nice lappies (i myself have one :) even though im not using it right now) .. i'd give a look at eMachines tho too :)g

7. Threads merged for relevancy

djjimmy2k2

1. DDR SDRAM, thats the one, i couldnt think of it so i just said VRAM.

2. i can be a serious gamer, i do like to chill out and play games and i kinda do it often (with best settings if i can) so yeah i think maybe i will go for 128Mb.

3/4. my budget is £1000 but the 128Mb model ive found is £1069 so i would have to push it over a bit, but as you said, it is a worthy investment, itll push back upgrading a bit further at least.

5. so you mean if i just want half-life 2 i could go for 64Mb? i think i should go for 128Mb though.

6. over here in UK i havent yet even found an emachines laptop, we have the pcs but until you mentioned it i didnt even know they did laptops.

and last but not least ive been thinking and if i do go for 128Mb (which i think i will) its between 2 laptops now, either the Acer Aspire 2023WLMi (the first laptop on the linked page) or the Acer Ferrari 3000LMi. both are a bit over my budget but i could stretch that far if i really want, no further though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
as I said in the other thread
Which is why its a good idea to not make related posts all over the place ... when you process several hundred posts a day you'll realize quickly that you wont remember anyone) :p

djjimmy2k2

yeah i know, sorry but the other thread was made just to talk about manufacturers. shall we just keep it to this thread now?

anyway ive been looking around again and *wait for it* i think ive found a couple more contenders, the TravelMate 8002LCi/8003LMi. ive picked these out because theyre around my budget of £1000 (the 8002LCi being right on with the 8003LMi being £100 over but with a DVD-RW and 100MHz more processor power) and also because although the 2012WLMi is a great machine the max resolution is 1280x800 and for my work, both uni and home (making websites etc) i use a 1280x1024 resolution at the moment and sometimes i have problems with it, mainly when working with decent resolution images in photoshop. the 8002LCi/8003LMi though has a 15" SXGA+ screen which allows a resolution of up to 1400x1050. both models have pretty much the same specs as the 2012WLMi except for the screen although if i decided not to pay the extra £100 for the 8003LMi i would have to sacrifice the DVD-RW. i dunno what to do, i seem to be all over the place, at least ive learnt one thing about myself, im not that good at making decisions, lol.

EDIT: oops, forgot to give the link to the new contenders:

8002LCi and 8003LMi (the first and second laptops on the linked page)

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Dont have an spending orgy when you see a lappy with a DVDburner because (a) the drive they're giving you is crap and (b) especially with Dual Layer laptop burners, the dual layer feature is gonna cost more and the media is friggen expensive.

Just get a CDRW/DVDROM combo and you'll be fine :)

djjimmy2k2

i wasnt sure about the DVD-RW to be honest cos ive seen internal ones for desktop pcs for about £50 so to pay an extra £100 for a laptop with one is kinda stupid methinks. ill have to see in a couple of weeks when ill actually be able to get a laptop but i think right now its between the 2012WLMi or the 8002LCi, with the 8002LCi in the lead cos of its screen.

Last edited:

djjimmy2k2

what would you say is the best/fastest processor, AMD Athlon™64 3400+, Intel P4 2.8GHz or Intel® Pentium® M 1.6GHz (Dothan)?

also how good is a ATI Mobility™ RADEON™ 128MB 9600 video card compared to a 128MB 9700?

and last but not least, is Fujitsu Siemens a good laptop manufacturer?

djjimmy2k2

sorry, i usually subscribe to threads so i know when theyve got replies but i mustve forgot to subscribe to that one so i didnt know there was a reply. i think ill just stop making loadsa threads that are just related to each other.

the thing is ive found another laptop, this time a Fujitsu Siemens and the reason im looking at it is cos its got some things the laptop ive been thinking of getting (Acer TravelMate 8200LCi) hasnt. heres a comparison:

Acer TravelMate 8200LCi
1.5GHz Pentium M
512Mb RAM
60Gb HD
64Mb ATI Mobility RADEON 9700 graphics
DVD/CDRW Combi
4 in 1 card reader
15" SXGA+ display
Windows XP Pro
£999

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 1420
1.6GHz Pentium M
512Mb RAM
60Gb HD
128Mb ATI Mobility RADEON 9600 graphics
DVD-RW
3 in 1 card reader
15.4" WXGA display
Windows XP Home
£1026

theyve both got the same specs, except with the Fujitsu Siemens being ahead with 100MHz more processor power and double the graphics power. it also has quite a bit more software included in the price, but one thing that lets it down is that its only got a max resolution of 1280x800 and i dont know if that will be enough for my work, and another thing that lets it down is the fact that it has a max RAM capacity of 1024Mb whereas the Acer has a max capacity of 2048Mb. also the 3 in 1 card reader on the Fujitsu Siemens doesnt include the card in my digital camera but that aint a big thing, i can use the usual USB thing for that. the Fujitsu Siemens is also a bit plain as far as looks are concerned and although i dont think looks are as important as the power of the thing, its still something to look at when buying a laptop right? now ill just go over what i require in a laptop again:

i need to be able to use all the usual design software (dreamweaver, flash, photoshop etc), and for this i will require a large resolution screen. right now i have 1280x1024 and its cool but with high resolution images it can be a bit of a pain, thats why im leaning more toward the SXGA+ of the Acer. but the 1280x800 of the Fujitsu Siemens could be enough, i just dont know.

i do want to play games, old ones aswell as new ones (half-life 2 for sure) and a 128Mb card would help as i have no doubt that games will be released that i will wanna play but i own a playstation 2 for games and loads of games are released on every platform, not just pc. so a great graphics card would be good but its not the most important thing on my list of requirements, i would be willing to sacrifice.

whether the processor is 1.5Ghz or 1.6Ghz isnt a big deal is it? its only 100Mhz, not that big of a gap, so i could go for either and it wouldnt really matter to me.
a DVD-RW isnt a big deal either, as long as i can read DVDs and write CDs then im happy. ill only need DVD-RWs for some of my uni work and theyve got them at uni anyway.

and now software, the larger software bundle included with the Fujitsu Siemens would be cool seeing as the Acer doesnt even come with MS Works but i have the basic word processing etc programs that came with my current computer so i would be willing to sacrifice the software if i ended up with the better machine.

now comes the end, i just need to know your opinions on which laptop out of the 2 would best suit my needs aswell as being the best deal. now where ive said i could sacrifice (the graphics card and the software) doesnt mean i would sacrifice if it meant me losing out on the better deal. so just tell me which you think would be best. :)

P.S. long post eh? lol