Deciding on what computer to get for my birthday :)

Metallia17

I'm trying to decide which desktop computer to get from Best Buy as a gift. I searched and found this which is the best thing I have seen so far.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...ssor/9699025.p?id=1218152464094&skuId=9699025

In my town it also comes with a 20" monitor for a total of $979.
Is there anything better out there? It has to be from a store that I can go on my birthday to get because they don't want to order it. And I would prefer one with a monitor because the monitor I currently have isn't too great. Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited:

mihir

VIP Member
The link is broken
and I suggest you should consider custom built we have a guide here how to build your own PC

Metallia17

I don't want to build my own. I can do it I know how I just feel like buying one because the specs are this thing are pretty good. And for some reason I keep putting the link in there and its not working.

Metallica17

And the computer that I am giving in the link which isn't working for some reason is pretty good. It's got 8gb of ram, a quad core at 3.2 GHz, a terabyte hard drive, 10 USB ports, and lots of other good specs.

Metallica17

CPU- i5-650 3.2 GHz quad core
RAM- 8GB
HDD-1TB
It doesn't give the specs specifically. This computer is from best buy so they aren't going to give specifics on things like ram brand and speed.

dannaswolcott

I think I found the computer your looking at on best buys site... Id say its very good for the price, I built my desktop, but I know how ya feel about just buying one.... Basically it all depends on what your gonna use the computer for, but for videos music mild gaming id say thats a great computer. I have been buying asus now for a while and am very pleased.

mihir

VIP Member

Really nice build throw in a monitor and a keyboard too Because I think he need them

@OP the bestbuy computer is pathetic you wont be able to run a single game it has an onboard intel video card go with linkin's build and build your own PC its gonna outperform the best buy computer by miles

Metallica17

Okay first off thanks to everyone for helping. I will show you the way to get to the computer I am talking about since Best Buy doesn't allow links. Okay so first go to bestbuy.com. Then hover over products, then hover over computers, then click desktop computers. From there click towers only. Scroll down to the computer that says ASUS in giant letters on the front which cost $664.99. In Illinois there is a deal where it comes with a monitor for 979 all together. And if you read under the overview of that desktop, it says its a quad core.

Aastii

VIP Member
I'll ask them when I go there, but if it is only a dual core, is that good enough for gaming?

You can ask them, but they won't have a clue what you are talking about if you say "hey, I heard it is a dual core but has 4 threads because of hyperthreading, is this true"

Dual is, at the moment, ok for gaming, but for all games now, quad is recomended, and will become required for new games faily soon I'd imagine

If you know how to build your own computer, and you know it is cheaper, why don't you?

And to those that said it is a good ddeal remember:

Even though it is Asus, they will use low brand products. You will end up with:

Off brand memory
Low end hard drive
Very poor power supply
AsRock mobo most probably
No video card

To OP, with that said, note onboard graphics and bad power supply. Bad combination if you plan on gaming, because you will have to get a dedicated graphics card, which will mean having to, not chooseing to, it is a necessity if you wish to game, getting a new power supply too that can handle dedicated graphics

Last edited:

Metallica17

Thank you Aastii. Another option I have is what you said which is building one from scratch. There is a place called computer deli in my town also which sells individual parts. I looked on their site (which is just computerdeli.com) and found this.

Motherboard- AMD Asu M4A77TD $99.00

CPU- AMD AM3 x4 635 $116.00 (This is rated at 2.9 GHz)

GPU- 500W CoolMaster v2.3

HDD- 1000 GB SATA 7200 WD 6G $119.00

RAM- DDR3 12800 2048 x3 $204.00

Case- Mid OW Storm Scout $104.00

Monitor- LCD 19" Asu VW193TR $149.00

I also need a video card, fan, and a dvd drive. I'm not too sure which ones to get off their site, so any help would be great. I'm trying not to go over 1,000 but if it is over a little that is fine.

Once again, this PC will be used mainly for gaming, which is why I decided to go to a quad core, but this is only 6gb of ram instead of the original 8gb. Let me know if that is enough, and any other tips that you think will help me. Thanks.