Dedicated Game Server

blando233

Ok i need help! I want to make a dedicated game server for call of duty 4. I was wondering if its possible to have one one machine a dedicated game server and also say my vista or xp or whatever. Im about to buy One tarabyte hard drive tomorrow. I was just wondering if i can like split it or somthing so one can be the server and the othe rpart can be my home stuff. Can that work or anyone have ideas. And also can you tell me how to go about making the server work and all. Thanks. And i want about say 18 players max on the server

blando233

Also is it jsut best to get an old computer and use that as the server cuz i heard a game server doesnt take much or anything Thanks all please help me!!!!

g4m3rof1337

Alright, you want to split a 1TB drive into two, one half being for the server, and the other being for your home stuff, you can do that, but I think you'll have to make one section with the OS on it, like the server, and then partitioning it to where you can access your home files from the My Computer section. Why don't you look into getting a drive just for the server, like an 80GB, and another drive for your home files, which can be whatever you need, since if it's just a server, you won't need that much drive space.

As for your specs, you'll want a nice processor and a good amount of ram. I'd say at least a dual core processor, and I'd say nothing less than 2GB of ram, 4 if possible, though ram is pretty cheap now.

Also, if you're hosting this at home, you'll want a pretty decent internet connection. If you're unsure about your speeds, go to www.speedtest.net, and select the location closet to you, and post the result here.

And for setting up a server, I'd take a look at this link to get an idea of what you want to do and what you might need.
Click Here

blando233

speed test came up with..
download 15.84 Mb/s
upload 6.70 Mb/s
Ping 10ms

And on my computer now got a pentium 4 that is 2.4 or somthing ghz with 3 gigs of ram which im getting more. I had a problem with he hard drive thats why im getting the tarabyte for a 100 from my friend. My laptop im on now 4 gigs of mem and proc core 2 duo. But ill prob by an extra hard drive like u said like 80 gig. Now should that be like what operating system for the game server. Would it be server or xp or somthing?

speed test came up with..
download 15.84 Mb/s
upload 6.70 Mb/s
Ping 10ms

And on my computer now got a pentium 4 that is 2.4 or somthing ghz with 3 gigs of ram which im getting more. I had a problem with he hard drive thats why im getting the tarabyte for a 100 from my friend. My laptop im on now 4 gigs of mem and proc core 2 duo. But ill prob by an extra hard drive like u said like 80 gig. Now should that be like what operating system for the game server. Would it be server or xp or somthing?

Most servers have 100mbps, usually more. You would have horrible results with a P4.

PabloTeK

Actually that might be OK for a small server, the P4 might complain a bit now and again but it should be OK so long as you cut down the OS as much as possible, seeing as a server has very little in terms of GUI there's no need to process that or any 3D. In fact if you use Linux there's no need for a GUI at all.

That speed should be fine. I remember hearing a 200-player server was using about 50Mb/s or something like that and that was a-ok!

EDIT: Travis, please stop with the misinformation...

blando233

is it a good idea like i was saying to split the hard drive partition make one say linux the other my home computer im not really used to linux i played with it a bit but not muchhh.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The dedicated server is just a console really, it doesn't take much to run it. However, are you talking about locally running a server on your LAN or hosting one online so you can play over the net?

blando233

over the net so other people can play on the server. because like i said im getting one tarabyte hard drive today so it hoguht maybe i can split the partition one the server then other my home computer. Never did a dedicated server before so i am tryin to get some good info so it can right good and all

tlarkin

VIP Member
over the net so other people can play on the server. because like i said im getting one tarabyte hard drive today so it hoguht maybe i can split the partition one the server then other my home computer. Never did a dedicated server before so i am tryin to get some good info so it can right good and all

Not going to happen because your upload speeds are going to suck and the second you start unicasting connection updates to say even 5 clients your server will lag.

You will need a synchronous internet connection for this to work. Also when you dedicate a machine to run a server for a game the machine becomes unusable as it runs the server, in like a "console" mode.

What type of Internet connection do you have?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Pay for either better broadband that allows you to have the following:

1) Static IP

2) Higher Upload speeds

or

Just pay to have a server hosted for you on someone who already has those things.

blando233

its comcast cable. So how should i go about making this dedicated server im hearing tons diff ways lol buy and old comp or somthing cuz i hear doesnt take much and all. WHat should i do lol

blando233

oops posted same message.. and i wanted to use a free dedicated server i dont want to pay some other company or somthing

blando233

and also i dont kno if this makes a diff that upload speed and everything was through my laptop my comp is down thats why im getting that new hard drive. thats why i was asking about should i split the hard drive

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK, I used to run a counter strike server back in the day, like CS version 4 days.

I was able to get away with it because my apartment at the time was literally down the street from the DSL central office. Meaning that Qwest's (this is when I lived in Denver) main hub for my neighborhood was literally a few hundred feet away. So I paid like 45 a month for basically a 1MB synchronous connection since they could not regulate my connection since I was so close to the source signal. I am sure they have ways to manage it now but back then in 1999 and 2000 there wasn't a way to manage it, so I got full speed for discounted price.

Your upload speed is throttled to a mere 100k per a second most likely, which would not allow many clients to connect. Bandwidth is shared, so if you max upload is say 100k, per a second and you have 10 people join, your upload is now divided by 10, so 10k per a second per a client. That is below dial up speeds. Then factor in things like packet loss and probably more like 8k per a second per a client if you have 10 clients

That will not cut it. You can try it and it will most likely fail. Plus not having a static IP is a huge pain because you have to update all your clients with the new IP information.

Why do ISPs do this? Two reasons: 1) quality control and 2) they want you to pay extra for such services.

What is your max upload speed?

blando233

well i dont know the upload speed because im using wireless so i couldnt tell u ciz im buy that hard drive today to put in my comp because the ther hard drive went bad. So i think the upload speed will be diff and im close to the nearest like hub becuase i live in baltimore and when i did the test it sowed closes was baltimore so

tlarkin

VIP Member
No the upload speed has to do with your network connection not your hard drive.

Just google search broadband test and take a bandwidth test and see your upload speeds.

blando233

Last Result:
Download Speed: 15936 kbps (1992 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 7190 kbps (898.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

i just did that test to washington dc