Dell Adamo

speedyink

VIP Member
Scatch that, by latitude D410's hard drive just began to fail. :gun::angry:

I'm not even joking.

Taking a guess that my D410 was made right at the beginning of the bad streak. Luckily, your Adamo will have been made recently.

Dell doesn't make hard drives. All hard drives have a chance of failing, in fact they are one of the highest failing items in desktops/laptops. Save all your data to another drive of some sort and shell out the $60 or so dollars is it for a new hard drive.

flanker

Dell doesn't make hard drives. All hard drives have a chance of failing, in fact they are one of the highest failing items in desktops/laptops. Save all your data to another drive of some sort and shell out the $60 or so dollars is it for a new hard drive.

Best Buy put the WD Pasport T/bit on sale for $119US it plugs in using a USB port I bought two
I also have a WD My Book 1.5/Tbit for my desktop system it has A/C power.

I am in hopes my laptop HD drives last a year or two.:rolleyes:

speedyink

VIP Member
Best Buy put the WD Pasport T/bit on sale for $119US it plugs in using a USB port I bought two
I also have a WD My Book 1.5/Tbit for my desktop system it has A/C power.

I am in hopes my laptop HD drives last a year or two.:rolleyes:

Do you work for Best Buy or something? I wouldn't be surprised, considering your lack of knowledge.

flanker

Do you work for Best Buy or something? I wouldn't be surprised, considering your lack of knowledge.

I don't think you have much room to judge my knowledge, as you have posted many stupid comments. So what have you to comment about now Mr.know nothing?
Oh to answer your question, no I do not work for Best Buy.:)

speedyink

VIP Member
I don't think you have much room to judge my knowledge, as you have posted many stupid comments. So what have you to comment about now Mr.know nothing?
Oh to answer your question, no I do not work for Best Buy.:)

I know you don't know the different between a bit and a byte, since you just posted about best buy having 1.5 T/bit hard drives. That means your buying 187.5 GigaBYTE for over $100. You're getting ripped off, dude.

Either way, arguing on the internet is about as productive as watching your lawn grow. I was merely trying to get you to leave the OP alone, as you were barraging them with anti-dell and later anti-laptop posts. If you can't understand that then..well..wow, i bail.

Last edited:

flanker

I know you don't know the different between a bit and a byte, since you just posted about best buy having 1.5 T/bit hard drives. That means your buying 187.5 GigaBYTE for over $100. You're getting ripped off, dude.

Either way, arguing on the internet is about as productive as watching your lawn grow. I was merely trying to get you to leave the OP alone, as you were barraging them with anti-dell and later anti-laptop posts. If you can't understand that then..well..wow, i bail.

Oh!!My me sooooooooooo Bad....spank..spank....:eek: Oh you were just trying to be very helpful....Do you also speak French?;)

flanker

Yes we must be very careful he speedyink is a Diamond Member of this forum.;)

spynoodle

Did more diagnostics on my Latitude D410: It looks like that I had a bad sector and I successfully reallocated it, so for now I'm running fine. I'm trying to not turn it on until I order a new hard drive. The problem is that I have some ebay gift card money, but I don't feel confident buying an hdd on ebay shipping-wise. I might just ask the seller of whichever one I want if they'll ship super-safely like Newegg, and just wing it. :) If all else fails (haha, fail as in hard drive :p) then I might just get one of the Scorpios from my local Best Buy. How is their shipping?

sunnysid3up

Did more diagnostics on my Latitude D410: It looks like that I had a bad sector and I successfully reallocated it, so for now I'm running fine. I'm trying to not turn it on until I order a new hard drive. The problem is that I have some ebay gift card money, but I don't feel confident buying an hdd on ebay shipping-wise. I might just ask the seller of whichever one I want if they'll ship super-safely like Newegg, and just wing it. :) If all else fails (haha, fail as in hard drive :p) then I might just get one of the Scorpios from my local Best Buy. How is their shipping?

I would just get one off newegg. They are fairly cheap these days. I mean, if the drive is broken they will give you a new one right away. Ebay is just a hassle...I use Ebay for some stuff that cant really be broken easily but I would be safe with the HDD. Good Luck!

speedyink

VIP Member

Why can't you get it from newegg? So far all my dealings with ebay have been fine, just make sure you buy from a high rated buyer, they usually know how to pack it up right.

Last edited:

spynoodle

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention: the reason that it's between ebay and Best Buy is because I have gift cards for both stores. If it wasn't for that, I would just buy from Newegg. Of course, maybe it would just be easier to buy from them anyway....:rolleyes:

speedyink

VIP Member
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention: the reason that it's between ebay and Best Buy is because I have gift cards for both stores. If it wasn't for that, I would just buy from Newegg. Of course, maybe it would just be easier to buy from them anyway....:rolleyes:

Ahhh, tough choice. Should the drive turn out to be a dud it would be much easier to exchange at best buy.

Last edited:

spynoodle

Ahhh, though choice. Should the drive turn out to be a dud it would be much easier to exchange at best buy.
Yeah, and I just checked out Newegg's selection: the problem is, my laptop only supports IDE drives. When it comes to IDE, Newegg's selection is about the same as Best Buy. Makes it an easier choice for me, I guess. :)

flanker

Now I bought a Net.Book. where is this going?

After reading all this small and thin is in stuff, I found a Toshiba NB250 Net Book on sale at Best Buy.
And with my rewards and a on the spot discount, I brought in home for $200US. Not a road runner or game machine but it sure does work wonders for a reallyu small system.:)

sunnysid3up

So my Adamo arrived today, much sooner than I had expected. I will post a quick pros and cons and I will follow up with a more in detail review soon!

Pros:
- Very very thin
- Excellent build quality
- Fast enough to run most applications
- Never gets hot, the new version I got with the SL9600 doesnt need to run at 100%, so the fans do not go on very much, unlike the old 1.2ghz version.

Cons:
- Graphics isnt the greatest, but I knew that.
- The keys on the keyboard are metallic, not actual aluminum.
- The trackpad buttons are pretty hard to press, you get used to it but its just kinda of annoying at first.

flanker

I love my new small Toshiba NB250 net book, bright colorful screen nice keyboard with good feel,but I use both a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I took the money I saved with reward points to upgrade from one Meg to Two Megs of Ram, this really improved the performance of this small net book.

The build quality is really good everything is tight and all parts fit.

I bought and external Toshiba DVD unit as the net books does not come with a DVD drive, this allowed the quick loading of my software.

The wireless system works great, and really make the net book easy to move around my home.

Battery life is around six hour's this is more then enough for me. I like everything about this baby and since I have other full size laptops, the lack of a powerful processor is not a problem for my use.:)

Last edited: